Confirmed Trade: [COL/PHI] Sean Walker and 2026 5th round pick for 2025 1st round pick (top 10 protected) and Ryan Johansen

TanguaySauce

Better Than BBQ
Jan 3, 2018
Shaolin Island
I get what Colorado is trying to do here…replace Byram with Walker and then upgrade at center with Mittelstadt over Johansen. Will it be all worth it? I’m not sure.

The issue is Mittelstadt doesn’t score much. He is a good playmaker but who will he have at wing in Colorado? Not much…
Drouin - MacKinnon - Nichushkin
Lehkonen - Mittlestadt - Rantanen

Methinks he'll be fine

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
I get what Colorado is trying to do here…replace Byram with Walker and then upgrade at center with Mittelstadt over Johansen. Will it be all worth it? I’m not sure.

The issue is Mittelstadt doesn’t score much. He is a good playmaker but who will he have at wing in Colorado? Not much…

Rantanen
Lekhonen
Nichushkin
Drouin
Parise

Potentially Landeskog as well

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State

The AVS score the most in the league. He will he be passing to Lehky or Big Val or Rantanen. Who knows how they will pair them up.

Avsavsavsavsavs

Nov 30, 2017

Nichuskin, Lehkonen, Rantanen are all possibilities, Landeskog potential return in the playoffs. They still have 4.7 million in cap space and a 24 1st to trade for a Guentzel retention or offensive depth.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
It's a quality replacement considering this whole trade centers around dumping RyJo's horrendous contract.

Getting Mittelstadt for Byram with a D rental absolutely crushed the deadline. Byram has 146 games played in 3 1/2 seasons, the injury history can't be ignored especially considering they are concussions.
I think Walker is definitely an upgrade defensively, so it makes sense since they are going 'all in.' But I think Mitt's is a soft playmaker for the playoffs, and if they don't win the Cup and Walker leaves, that's a lot to give up long term. My guess is that they already know they will be extending Walker on a team friendly deal...

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
I think Walker is definitely an upgrade defensively, so it makes sense since they are going 'all in.' But I think Mitt's is a soft playmaker for the playoffs, and if they don't win the Cup and Walker leaves, that's a lot to give up long term. My guess is that they already know they will be extending Walker on a team friendly deal...

Walker’s camp reportedly wanted term & $.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
So much for the posters confident Avs wouldn't be trading their 1st lol...

A 1st to dump RyJo & add a solid depth dman. Shows how poor some fan assessments of their own team is.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
That would be nice but i strongly believe we want malinski next year in that role and we add a big LHD. This year, i think Walker is a fine bottom six dman next to JMFJ.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
Great asset management by the Flyers.

People calling it a steal for the Avs are probably the same kind of folks who laughed when the Habs received Monahan gift-wrapped with a 1st rounder for "our trouble".

Plus if it bombs, at least it will be entertaining to see the Torts-RyJo reunion tour :popcorn:

Reactions: Miller Time

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Not sure, I think a lot of us wanted them to spend. This is the 2025 1st, by the way.

Walker is a top-4, not a depth Dman.
I'm sure you are right... Pretty obvious that the Avs are in a win now mode, rightfully so, and that they have some roster holes to address to bolster their odds of getting out of the West/keep up with the West contenders.

Some posters from the fan base week just out to lunch both with their assessments of other teams players & with their own understanding of the Avs management.

Top 4
Second pairing
4-5
Depth

Semantics depending on one's interpretation. Point was that it was a heavy price to pay to fix a mistake

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
Not sure, I think a lot of us wanted them to spend. This is the 2025 1st, by the way.

Walker is a top-4, not a depth Dman.
Yeah, Walker is a great player. It shows more the lack of understanding of teams outside of their own for a lot of players.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I'm sure you are right... Pretty obvious that the Avs are in a win now mode, rightfully so, and that they have some roster holes to address to bolster their odds of getting out of the West/keep up with the West contenders.

Some posters from the fan base week just out to lunch both with their assessments of other teams players & with their own understanding of the Avs management.

Top 4
Second pairing
4-5
Depth

Semantics depending on one's interpretation. Point was that it was a heavy price to pay to fix a mistake
Yup, getting ryjo was a huge gamble. Should have just gone hard after duchene or o'reilly, fix that relationship, thats the job of people leaders.

Reactions: Miller Time

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Price seems a little steep but I think everyone got what they wanted out of it. Avs need to win right now.

Shame RyJo didn’t work out. It’s been rare over the last ~6 years for guys to look worse on the Avs than elsewhere. Between him and Tatar… woof.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Great asset management by the Flyers.

People calling it a steal for the Avs are probably the same kind of folks who laughed when the Habs received Monahan gift-wrapped with a 1st rounder for "our trouble".

Plus if it bombs, at least it will be entertaining to see the Torts-RyJo reunion tour :popcorn:
Hold your fire on that reunion tour, we're apparently sending RyJo directly to Allentown, do not pass Go, do collect more than the rest of your team's salary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad