Confirmed Trade: [COL/NYR] Alexandar Georgiev for 2022 3rd and 5th round picks, and 2023 3rd round pick

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Rangers just keep winning on trades... Georgiev didn't have a good year AND is known for not being a good teammate.

Avs are good with scouting so I guess we can't count them out. But the return was much better for Rangers than expected.

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
Poor scouts. You work your butt off all season only to be left with a 6th and 7th round pick...
There are still UDFA players and these scouting reports are great basis for when you watch the guys further and maybe end up trading for them down the road. It's not wasted time. It's getting a baseline understanding of a large number of possible future NHL players.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
People saying they won't sign MAF now? I wouldn't be so sure...

This seems like they're trading Francouz and going for a 1a.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Can anyone explain to me why the Avs twitter is saying a 3rd and two 5ths and the Rangers twitter account is saying two 3rds and a 5th?

So the Avs twitter is wrong , right?

EDIT:

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
I would have been happy with a 3rd let alone 3rd, 3rd, 5th. Goalie market is out of control by the looks of it. Georgiev is cost controlled, not a bad move IF he plays well but I just don't know if he's a guy you'd want in any 7 game series. Time will tell.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Good return for the Rangers. Georgiev can work but you have to feed him games, like 40+. He's not a viable backup.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I would have been happy with a 3rd let alone 3rd, 3rd, 5th. Goalie market is out of control by the looks of it. Georgiev is cost controlled, not a bad move IF he plays well but I just don't know if he's a guy you'd want in any 7 game series. Time will tell.
Yah definitely, Got teams clamoring for Matt Murray lol.

Reactions: Tob

NoelVilla

Feb 25, 2019
Avs don't need draft picks. They need to keep as much of the team as possible together.
I think they probably rate Annunen highly as well as their nr3.

Reactions: Alienblood

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
Same things were said about Kuemper when we traded a first for him. And we just won a cup. Maybe despite him in some ways. But his eye injury was pretty gnarly. I think Sakic's view of goaltending is get average goaltending and don't overpay. Invest in your defense and skaters. I think it's a good way to build.

I wouldn't be surprised if Georgiev finishes the season in the top 10 in SV% and GAA (ala Kuemper) and near the top in wins.

But, yes, let's overvalue some magic beans.

Reactions: lionsDen

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
People saying they won't sign MAF now? I wouldn't be so sure...

This seems like they're trading Francouz and going for a 1a.

Colorado just extended Francouz on March 12th (and he rewarded them with a sweep of Edmonton in the WCF), so I seriously doubt he's moving.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
See ya later DK. Not sure how I feel about his replacement being Georgiev but DK sucks anyways. Avs goaltending remains their Achilles heel.

Yeah idk how Kuemper went from being shelled an insane amount in Arizona and looking fantastic to facing less shots on the Avs and looking vulnerable. Goalies are a weird specimen.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Kuemper could have been replaced by a cardboard cutout on the trip to the finals. But he had two very strong games to close out the last two wins the Aves needed.

37 out of 39 and 22 out of 23.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Same things were said about Kuemper when we traded a first for him. And we just won a cup. Maybe despite him in some ways. But his eye injury was pretty gnarly. I think Sakic's view of goaltending is get average goaltending and don't overpay. Invest in your defense and skaters. I think it's a good way to build.

I wouldn't be surprised if Georgiev finishes the season in the top 10 in SV% and GAA (ala Kuemper) and near the top in wins.

But, yes, let's overvalue some magic beans.
The Rangers are 100% finding another franchise goalie with one of these picks now that you've said this.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
So they're going to roll with Georgiev and Francouz...alright then.

I'm in the "goaltending is voodoo" camp, so I actually don't think this tandem is that bad. The Avs basically just need .900 goaltending out of them. The price Sakic paid seems a touch high though.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Georgie needed a fresh start. He was fine when he first got here. But when Shesterkin showed up, coupled with getting socked in the face by his teammate Tony DeAngelo, his play absolutely nosedived and he never really found his game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad