Confirmed Trade: [COL/NYR] Alexandar Georgiev for 2022 3rd and 5th round picks, and 2023 3rd round pick

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Negatives:
- Two third round picks for a team lacking draft capital is a ton of ammo to give up for a goalie who has in no way proven he can be a long-term starting solution.
- Emphasizes that Kuemper’s cost was purely a rental. Worth it for a Cup but add the two trades together and unless Gerogiyev suddenly blossoms - that’s throwing a ton a the “goalie problem”.
- Samsonov was my preferred young talented project goalie.

Positives:
- Georgiev is inexpensive…obviously the idea is to spend the money elsewhere and ride average at best goaltending to another title.
- Joe Sakic gets the benefit of the doubt.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
They signed Francouz to an extension on March 12th, I would be very surprised they suddenly trade him.
True, at the same time, he's a 32 year old backup making 2M. In the grand scheme of things he doesn't really matter if something better comes our way.

Even burying him in the minors only counts 875K to the cap.

But for now, I suppose we have to assume Sakic wants to maximize the roster before goaltending... which isn't the worst thing in the world. I mean, goaltending certainly wasn't the reason for the Stanley Cup.

Reactions: AvalancheSpeedsters

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
All kidding aside, that seems hella expensive for Georgiev considering his play/stats. Makes me want to sell Casey DeSmith.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Yeah it was starting to look like this guy was going to be a UFA
There was about a 1% chance that the Rangers were going to qualify; which honestly wasn’t that much to do with the player. Rangers can’t afford that cap hit and will just sign a get backup on a minimum. Colorado gets to roll the dice. But again, I wouldn’t have traded anything for a guy that wasn’t going to get qualified.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Jesus Joe.

You better trade Kuemper and Kadris rights for a few picks.

The Avs have basically a 1st in 2023 and a 1st in 2024 and thats it for the next 3 drafts.
The cubbard is also relatively bare. I guess he has to do some magic in UFA for the next 2 years to fill in the holes.

Don't hate it but would have preferred to go after Samsonov (and would have even added a decent prospect or two to get it done.) Much prefer it to overpaying Kuemper, though.

You can also sign college free agents and stuff like that.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
“Someone” is going to be very upset with this return.

That exactly what he’s worth…. Probably a bit of an overpayment if anything.

As an Oiler fan, I hope he gets those starter minutes he apparently needs to be that “better” goalie.

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City
I o
If he’s playing once every 3 or 4 games, absolutely. If he’s the starter, impossible.
I say it’s the opposite. Georgiev plays better when he’s warm. I think he’s a better starter than he is back up. Not that he’s a great starter. But he’s pretty solid. Nothing special though.

Didn’t really like Georgiev though so I’m not upset over this lol

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Jesus Joe.

You better trade Kuemper and Kadris rights for a few picks.

The Avs have basically a 1st in 2023 and a 1st in 2024 and thats it for the next 3 drafts.
The cubbard is also relatively bare. I guess he has to do some magic in UFA for the next 2 years to fill in the holes.

Don't hate it but would have preferred to go after Samsonov (and would have even added a decent prospect or two to get it done.) Much prefer it to overpaying Kuemper, though.

Not a good summer if you're an Avs fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad