Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] Jack Johnson signs with the Avs (1 year, $750k)

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Anyone that has watched Jack Johnson for years knows he is terrible. There is no defending him.
Ah, the good old moving of goalposts. I got called out for sarky remarks and now I'll change the narrative. Never gets old.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Anyone that has watched Jack Johnson for years knows he is terrible. There is no defending him.
Meh , he cracked one of the best teams opening night rosters , delivered a goal and solid play and was a plus player. JJ might make you look silly

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
I'm old enough to remember Jack Johnson getting dunked on for 15 seasons versus having one decent game against the Blackhawks.
Again, we are supposed to believe you while you laugh off others? The irony is delicious.

randallh

Jul 10, 2011
Los Angeles
Meh , he cracked one of the best teams opening night rosters , delivered a goal and solid play and was a plus player. JJ might make you look silly

Jack Johnson has been playing for 15+ years; he isn't going to sneak up on anyone and make people look silly over the course of a SEASON. There's a reason he needed a PTO. Sad Kings fans like me used to watch his workout videos and say man this guy is going to dominate the league! He will disappoint with his lack of hockey sense.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I remember when Joe Colborne had a hat trick in his very first game with the Avs after earning a contract. Then he went on to score 1 goal the rest of the season/his career.

I'm happy JJ had a good night. I'm going to continue to expect the worst and hope for the best. There are 5 fairly decent or better defenders to help him out right now. We just need him to not actively lose us games.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Jack Johnson has been playing for 15+ years; he isn't going to sneak up on anyone and make people look silly over the course of a SEASON. There's a reason he needed a PTO. Sad Kings fans like me used to watch his workout videos and say man this guy is going to dominate the league! He will disappoint with his lack of hockey sense.

He's also our 7/8D when everyone is healthy, which makes it really hard for him to disappoint. So, all the doom and gloom about him making the roster seems overblown.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
He's also our 7/8D when everyone is healthy, which makes it really hard for him to disappoint. So, all the doom and gloom about him making the roster seems overblown.

Ya it's quite funny. Pittsburgh was icing him for 19 minutes a game, and the Rangers when he played he still got 17 minutes. If he starts playing like crap, he'll be getting the 'I have to play this scrub' treatment from Bednar of under 10 minutes a game (if he even gets icetime), since Girard, Toews, Byram and Makar all deserve 20 min+ of icetime, along with still having EJ and Murray around as well.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
This is so dumb - guy plays one game and scores a single goal. BOOM! “IN YOUR FACE , GUY SCORE GOAL!”

Reminds me of when Kotkaniemi scored a goal in the playoffs and some Montreal fans came back to a trade thread and started saying hes “untouchable”….. We all know how that worked out… late first and a third!!!

Yeah not a fair comparison as this is moreso all the Avs fans having a laugh that JJ pulled off a goal like that. He looked really good last night, but the fan base is WELL aware that’s not the player they’re getting. Or at the very least they’re not honestly expecting it.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Haha, I understand your point however he was decent even bordering on good last night. What's a decent season for him in Colorado? 3 goals , 15 points and a plus player ?

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Haha, I understand your point however he was decent even bordering on good last night. What's a decent season for him in Colorado? 3 goals , 15 points and a plus player ?

That would be more than JJ has scored since 2016-17, and I doubt he'll play in enough games to even come close. Assuming he only plays in maybe 20 games, I'd be happy if he can chip in 3 or 4 assists to go with his goal from last night.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
That would be more than JJ has scored since 2016-17, and I doubt he'll play in enough games to even come close. Assuming he only plays in maybe 20 games, I'd be happy if he can chip in 3 or 4 assists to go with his goal from last night.
I think he will play more than that and probably going to surprise you a bit. I can see 3 goals and a dozen assists in 40 to 60 games .

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I think he will play more than that and probably going to surprise you a bit. I can see 3 goals and a dozen assists in 40 to 60 games .

With the Avs injury issues over the last few years, you might be right that he'll play that much. But, my expectation is that guys will stay healthy enough to keep him out of the lineup for most of the season. I also think Barron looked good in the preseason and will end up getting ice time later in the season, further limiting JJ's opportunities.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
He's perfect for how he will be used. I've always actually loved the guy and never understood the base line hate for him so it'll be fun to watch him this year play for a great team. I can see him fitting in well with the group and it's hardly a big deal if he doesnt work out.

Advance stats don’t match up with the eye test. Keith and Jones were supposedly replacement level on jfresh hockey charts. Not their fault the wingers suck at D on their teams. Watched their opening games and they looked pretty good to me.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
With the Avs injury issues over the last few years, you might be right that he'll play that much. But, my expectation is that guys will stay healthy enough to keep him out of the lineup for most of the season. I also think Barron looked good in the preseason and will end up getting ice time later in the season, further limiting JJ's opportunities.
Quite possibe. Iam still pulling for a decent season from JJ, even jokingly predicted JJ would score the cup winning goal for the avs this season...

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I don't mind him playing but ideally he isn't overplaying. The pens played him 19+mins a night due to injuries. If we have only 1 injury at a time, JJ is perfectly fine as a number 5-6. If we have 2 or 3 injuries and JJ plays as number 4, that's when we're in trouble.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
For $750k on a one year deal. Jack Johnson is good value as the 7th D man on the roster. He gave the Avs a good game as the number 6 in a limited role. Did a lot of PK work and puts his body in front of shots. Moves guys in front of the net with lite cross checks. Not too difficult a task for someone of his experience. The effort to do the role is there.

But go watch his goal and see Tyler Johnson. It’s embarrassing. T Johnson is going to be a disaster for Chicago. He’s already barely trying two shifts into his tenure on that team. He wasn’t any good to begin with.

Ask yourself why Jack Johnson had an uncontested breakaway. Seems odd for a defender that’s so slow. I give you the grotesquely overpaid Tyler Johnson paving the way.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
Get ready for baffling decisions with the puck. He always does the opposite of what he should when the puck is on his stick. Plays die with him over and over and over. I've never seen a player who more of a cluster f*** and I mean that. Jack Johnson is UNBAREABLY bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad