Confirmed Trade: [COL/BUF] Casey Mittelstadt for Bowen Byram

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I thought Mittelstadt was fantastic against VAN. And Duhaime.

Feels like they went from being one of a group of contenders to the clear number one in the west for me.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
It's novel to have a thread where there isn't much of the usual denigrating of a departing player and there is active support that the departing guy does well in his new team. It's pleasant for sure.
How can anyone hate on a player who has an amazing personality and instrumental to our cup win.

Avs fans are very honest about the player who depart. We hated graves, kerfoot, but loved barrieand bo. That didnt change when they switched teams.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
It appears the Avs acquired a legitimate 2C starting his prime years when their biggest need was 2C.

Buffalo parted with a good, 25 year old top 6 Center to acquire Byram.

How is this lost on you? That the Avs added a second line C to their team in this trade. And he’s team controlled for the next two seasons after this one.

Factor that into your analysis.
Toews will be making 7 million a year and exiting his prime in a few years (not to say he'll be a bad player) and could have gotten a second line C.

Bo has style and grace and handsomeness that Toews could only dream of.

I'd rather have Byram play shirtless every night than watch mid 30s Toews regress into a second pairing guy.

Byram is the one that got away.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Hard to say buffalo still can gave a cap crunch in 2026 forecast. I dont buy into thr caps going up because its ignoring tjr local tv revenue problems coming out of RSN collapse.

I can see a scene io where buuffalo signs him to 3 yrs then makes a decision. Yhr on the y way I see him getting signed to $9M or do next summer I'd of other big salary trades occur like trading power.

Around new yrs time the sabres goalie got hot.

During that time there were what I call 5 quality starts where they only got 1 pt. These were games where 2 or less goals scored on goalie in regulation
1-0 losd to van
2-1 to dallas
3-1 loss to tb (EN g)
2-1 loss in ot to tor
STL was 2-1 till st louis scored under 2 min to make it 3-1.
WPGtied 2'2 under 10 when they scored late.
If they sign Byram to a 3 yr deal, he’s a UFA after.
But out of curiosity, why would Byram sign a 3 year deal. At his next extension, isn’t he only 2 years from UFA?

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
One thing I question about this trade with Mittelstadt, is Colorado going to be able to afford the 6-7 million he is going to look for next year?

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Avs44

May 16, 2011
One thing I question about this trade with Mittelstadt, is Colorado going to be able to afford the 6-7 million he is going to look for next year?
I think they had to know going in. They've tried to fix the #2 centre slot over the past year and I don't think they gave up Byram if they hadn't planned for Mittelstadt's next contract. They're pretty clearly wanting a long term fix to the spot IMO. They tried hard to re-sign Kadri to a long term deal after the cup run but apparently EJ wouldn't waive his NTC to clear the necessary cap space.

Assuming Landeskog tries a return next year, the most likely guy they'll ship out is Lehkonen and potentially Manson. Folks over on the Avs' board have run the numbers a bunch of times (ongoing debate right now, actually). The Avs can afford 6.5 million or so for Mittelstadt provided at least one ~4.5 million dollar contract is shipped out and they add several cheap ~1 million dollar contracts to fill out other parts of the roster. If Landy comes back, then the Avs will have a ton invested in Rantanen/Landy/Nuke so I think a winger (Lehkonen, or Colton I suppose, but I think they'll keep him) will be traded. Manson and Wood are additional candidates who can be moved out.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
friedman speaking very highly of the effect that Byram has had on the locker room.

It was interesting to hear some of the commentary there after the deal. Marek’s “give him the puck!” Made me laugh.

I think they had to know going in. They've tried to fix the #2 centre slot over the past year and I don't think they gave up Byram if they hadn't planned for Mittelstadt's next contract. They're pretty clearly wanting a long term fix to the spot IMO. They tried hard to re-sign Kadri to a long term deal after the cup run but apparently EJ wouldn't waive his NTC to clear the necessary cap space.

Assuming Landeskog tries a return next year, the most likely guy they'll ship out is Lehkonen and potentially Manson. Folks over on the Avs' board have run the numbers a bunch of times (ongoing debate right now, actually). The Avs can afford 6.5 million or so for Mittelstadt provided at least one ~4.5 million dollar contract is shipped out and they add several cheap ~1 million dollar contracts to fill out other parts of the roster. If Landy comes back, then the Avs will have a ton invested in Rantanen/Landy/Nuke so I think a winger (Lehkonen, or Colton I suppose, but I think they'll keep him) will be traded. Manson and Wood are additional candidates who can be moved out.

I mean, if Lekhonen needs a new home… Buffalo could help there too.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
I mean, if Lekhonen needs a new home… Buffalo could help there too.
In all seriousness, the Avs will have to say goodbye to at least one, perhaps 2 of Colton/Lehkonen/Girard/Manson if Landeskog is healthy. Colton/Manson would probably be the first to go but Buffalo would be a great trading partner once again.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
In all seriousness, the Avs will have to say goodbye to at least one, perhaps 2 of Colton/Lehkonen/Girard/Manson if Landeskog is healthy. Colton/Manson would probably be the first to go but Buffalo would be a great trading partner once again.
Not real interested in Girard, but we'd be happy to take any or all of Colton/Lehkonen and/or Manson off your hands.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I think the trade kind of tips off where both teams prefer to spend their money coming up. Buffalo paid two centers long term. They’ve also paid two defenseman big money long term (and a third defenseman but he doesn’t make enough to qualify for the point). They clearly would rather put money into another top 4 D man than use it on a third center. I’m not saying Casey is the third best…he was better than both Tage and Cozens this year. But those decisions were made already and if they want a different type of player in their top 9 mix Mitts is the one who was going to be on the outs. The one thing they have in the pipeline is skill forward…even if only one of the 4 first rounders they’ve used on guys not in the league yet projects as a C. Savoie, Kulich, Ostlund and Rosen aren’t all going to be able to get shots here even with Mitts out. Especially since Benson just straight up sniped a slot.

Same with Colorado. They need a 2C. Clearly going to invest in it over paying another D even if he has the potential to thrive elsewhere. Because he was never going to get the opportunity at top pair minutes there. How could he? They have a top pair that isn’t getting broken up. The top of their D group is what everyone else is trying to get to

Buffalo has a top guy who plays better on his offhand. And another young first overall who they don’t want to pair with Dahlin full time. It leaves a spot on the top pair for a left shot D. And Colorado has a spot for a 2C. It’s a trade that just makes total sense to the point that what’s most surprising is that we weren’t thinking about it for a year. We knew decision time was coming on Mittelstadt…I think we just assumed one wouldn’t come at the deadline. Or for Byram, maybe not until next year since he has a contract next season.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
Not real interested in Girard, but we'd be happy to take any or all of Colton/Lehkonen and/or Manson off your hands.
Ya Avs would probably take 1 ELC contract (I.e. Johnson/Rosen/Peterka) and some draft picks back. I'd imagine all 3 of those guys would be highly sought after so it's a good opportunity for the Avs to recoup some picks. I imagine a team like the Leafs would froth over getting Josh Manson - he'd leave one of the bigger holes so I'm not sure he's moved.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Colton would actually be a good fit for the Sabres I think if he’s a guy that shakes loose for cap reasons. Might’ve made sense to include him and other stuff in the Mitts/Byram swap if not for the obvious fact that Colorado is looking to make a cup run first.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Ya Avs would probably take 1 ELC contract (I.e. Johnson/Rosen/Peterka) and some draft picks back. I'd imagine all 3 of those guys would be highly sought after so it's a good opportunity for the Avs to recoup some picks. I imagine a team like the Leafs would froth over getting Josh Manson - he'd leave one of the bigger holes so I'm not sure he's moved.

Manson has trade protection though and with the talk that his wife wants to stay out west to be near family, I'm not sure he's a viable candidate to come to Buffalo (or Toronto honestly).

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
Colton would actually be a good fit for the Sabres I think if he’s a guy that shakes loose for cap reasons. Might’ve made sense to include him and other stuff in the Mitts/Byram swap if not for the obvious fact that Colorado is looking to make a cup run first.
Ya like I said I think there's another good match here that could even be seen as an extension to the original deal. Obviously, a good relationship has been forged and they are still in a position to fill each other's needs

Manson has trade protection though and with the talk that his wife wants to stay out west to be near family, I'm not sure he's a viable candidate to come to Buffalo (or Toronto honestly).
Fair enough, another reason he might remain in an Avs sweater, unless they choose to re-sign a guy like Walker. I personally think Girard is the more replaceable player both in the Avs system and at large

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
friedman speaking very highly of the effect that Byram has had on the locker room.
It was less in the room and more on the ice. Their problem isn’t a lack of quality people in the room…it’s a lack of well coached players between the whistles. It should be a total eye opener to management that Byram comes in and has to show them where to go on the pp…something Friedman directly referenced. Or that an 18 year old rookie is routinely the one who puts himself in the best positions and knows how to play off the puck.

They should target a forward who comes from a strong winning program this off-season. And they should fire the coach…but hey…they’re out there saving his job right now. Again.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00