Confirmed Trade: [COL/BUF] Casey Mittelstadt for Bowen Byram

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Actually pretty impressed with Mittelstadt tonight. He's slick escaping pressure & stronger than I thought.

Might be a really shrew find for the Avs to help extend their window.
Mitts has improved every year just like Reinhart. I think he could become close to a 1C for a couple of seasons during his peak. Could see him having his best years between 27 and 31.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Trading a 22 year old 4th overall pick who's already trended to at least a second pairing D with high upside isn't exactly a genius level move.
In a vacuum, it isn't. But Mittelstadt helps Colorado right now in their cup hunt more than Byram does. Byram could become a future Norris winner (definitely has the skills to pull it off), but if Colorado wins another cup with Mittelstadt as their #2C, they have won as well.

Which is why I find it so bizarre listening to some Canadian sports radio over the last few days, where a lot of people are somehow puzzled why Colorado made this move, and Byram having a great start in Buffalo just throws gasoline into the fire.

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
I don't disagree with your general idea about Power but I think that's a bad example. Power has another Red Wing right behind him, and Dahlin is engaging with Raymond, and the puck pops out to Raymond and is off his stick in a split second. That's not a play where you try and plant a guy. It's hard to hit someone as a means of keeping them from shooting, when you don't know that the puck is going there. I think a better question is why Dahlin didn't plant Raymond, Dahlin was actually on Raymond but in a very soft way.
The urge to blame the most prominent defenceman on screen when a goal is scored is impossible for some people to ignore. Especially when the defenceman in question is a 6'6" 1st-overal pick on a struggling team.

It was well-predicted prior to his career by those familiar with Power's game that a certain segment of the Sabres fan base would not be able to see past "he's big and he doesn't hit".

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Lekhonen was always a good player and clearly had more offensive potential than what he had produced. Drouins been bad defensively for a decade now.
Drouin was always a good player and clearly had more defensively potential than what he showed.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
id love to see it charted out if you’re feeling adventurous ;).
1710428074949.png

Thanks @uncleben

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
He’s incredibly strong on the puck for a guy who isn’t that big. His battle level on the boards is just ferocious
His legs are extremely strong, that's his whole thing. He maintains possession so good along the boards. He was like the only one who could do that in Bufffalo, which is why a lot of us were worried to lose that skillset.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
The Raymond goal against the Sabres really highlights the frustration Sabres fans have with him....letting guys get multiple opportunities up close when teams would normally have that cleared out even when it is on the PK. Like bro why are you swiping at the puck when you can level the guy trying to whack at it?
I’d like to add a brute with some skill as his partner
what a stud. Thanks!

Oscar The Grouch

Oct 16, 2021
The teams made the trade knowing Byram was the better player but one concussion away from losing large chunks of his career.

Not that difficult to understand.

Reactions: Spirits

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
There are definitely Sabres fans out there waiting patiently for Bo to have his first bad game.
I was definitely against the trade and am still not convinced it is as amazing as some say it is. However I am not as against it was and it doesn't have much to do with the points aspect. It has to do with effort and skill shown. As long as Byram keeps up his current effort and the injuries don't pop up, you won't see me bashing the trade regardless of the points.

I have no problem eating crow and saying so far I wrong. I didn't know Byram well enough and was (still am) mad we gave up our only forward who put forth an effort every game.

Time will tell how this trade goes but injuries and effort are my main concern, not points.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I was definitely against the trade and am still not convinced it is as amazing as some say it is. However I am not as against it was and it doesn't have much to do with the points aspect. It has to do with effort and skill shown. As long as Byram keeps up his current effort and the injuries don't pop up, you won't see me bashing the trade regardless of the points.

I have no problem eating crow and saying so far I wrong. I didn't know Byram well enough and was (still am) mad we gave up our only forward who put forth an effort every game.

Time will tell how this trade goes but injuries and effort are my main concern, not points.

What is this Benson slander.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site

As an Avs fan, I don't think I ever really had a concern regarding Bo's effort level. He is a guy that really fluctuates with his confidence. When he is feeling confident he really takes over plays and leads the rush, looks strong defensively. When he is a bit down on himself he starts making questionable plays, jumping up when he shouldn't, hesitant defensively, just kind of looks like he is generally double guessing every move. I really hope he can show off his abilities and reach that potential many of us thought he had for the Sabres (and also hope that Mitts can continue to play strong for the Avs!)

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Why is it that fans of other random teams are upset at this trade and trying to tell one team over the other they got bent over? Seems both fanbases are happy like we know our teams and know our wants/needs. It’s even more embarrassing that those same posters don’t even know who our GM is.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Highway robbery by the Sabres. Mitts is good but it shouldnt cost you a high potential possibly franchise level Dman to obtain players like Mitts.

The only reason this will shake out to be remotely close to an even trade is if Byram's injury woes continues.

Otherwise, this is going to be one of those wth were the Avs thinking kinda trade. Should have just kept Kadri

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Why is it that fans of other random teams are upset at this trade and trying to tell one team over the other they got bent over? Seems both fanbases are happy like we know our teams and know our wants/needs. It’s even more embarrassing that those same posters don’t even know who our GM is.
Because we have to declare a winner right away, all the time. It's why the Stanley Cup gets awarded before the start of the season depending on how many big moves you made in the off-season.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
In a vacuum the Avs might lose this trade but one thing that most people here don't know is this trade absolutely does not happen without the Walker trade (or Tanev as was reported Avs were in the running). The Avs absolutely wanted a Dman to replace what Bo was bringing on the Avs before making this trade. Mitts and Walker are extremely good fits on the Avs and that is all that matters when a team is a strong Cup contender and their window could be closing fast. I am confident the Avs will re-sign Walker as well. Mitts is a huge, huge upgrade on Ryjo and Walker is arguably replacing what Bo was on the Avs and a better fit. Wlaker is better on the PK which is very important for the Avs as well so they can reduce Makar's minutes.

Overall the Avs are much better than just prior the TDL so this trade is a win-win for both team. Let's all be happy and enjoy the rest of the season.
Good summary. It's important to give your team the best chance to win when your in the contention window and that's what you guys did. Trenin Duhaime Mittlestadt Walker is a nice haul of pieces in prime ages that fit really well into the needs of your team. I can see why you did it. Furthermore Byram has some very real injury concerns that would have effected his value trade wise.

If he stays healthy on a 1v1 basis this should be a win for the Sabres but that would be neglecting how this effects the roster and team in the current.

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Good summary. It's important to give your team the best chance to win when your in the contention window and that's what you guys did. Trenin Duhaime Mittlestadt Walker is a nice haul of pieces in prime ages that fit really well into the needs of your team. I can see why you did it. Furthermore Byram has some very real injury concerns that would have effected his value trade wise.

If he stays healthy on a 1v1 basis this should be a win for the Sabres but that would be neglecting how this effects the roster and team in the current.
Teams that constantly build for a cup 2-3 years away, never win it.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Teams that constantly build for a cup 2-3 years away, never win it.
Not sure what your point is?

The Avs made a win now move while the Sabres have a plethora of C's and what should be top scoring talent up front but needed another top D. This gets both teams a step closer in a more appropriate timeline.

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Not sure what your point is?

The Avs made a win now move while the Sabres have a plethora of C's and what should be top scoring talent up front but needed another top D. This gets both teams a step closer in a more appropriate timeline.
I was more responding about people that don’t take risks when their win now window is open. Not necessarily talking about Buffalo trading for Byram who helps them long term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad