Waived: Cody Franson on waivers (clears)

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Please stay away Lou. This guy is the analytics communities blind spot. He's not good.

Yes. No hockey sense players that just throw anything to the net, whether it's the right/best play or not, is the converse of defensive centermen that have to manage their entire line every shift. Counting missed shots and other non-events is generally not productive. That's why it was released to the public, once professional clubs exhausted their use for it, no one minded (see: save pct., plus/minus, ice time, etc. other previous iterations of "advanced" stats).

Franson, again, no hockey sense. Big shot, doesn't offer much else. He's big and RHS, so he hangs out in the league for handedness purposes and size fetishism, but he makes a dog's breakfast of everything in his own zone and he really lacks vision to be anything terribly effective offensively. Plus, his skating grades poorly from a technical perspective, speed perspective and lateral mobility perspective.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
I definitely see Franson being claimed here. He hasn't been bad statistically this year, 7 points in 23 games isn't bad and he has kick ass possession stats. He'll definitely get claimed by a team with a weak bottom pair or a team that needs powerplay help.
Doubt he'll last to see the Kings make a claim but maybe they're interested.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Don't think Franson's hockey IQ is good enough for how the Kings play. Kings already have cheaper options. Only see Franson helping their PP a bit, but he wouldn't provide much more for what the Kings might be looking for.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Corsi I understand. Like +/- it has its uses, but it riddled with holes.

What I do not get is peoples devotion to it .....

It's all about context. Cody Franson has always been an advanced stats darling, and that rel.CF% does look real nice to someone who doesn't fully understand that. What's missing is his quality of competition and zone starts to give that number some context; which both show he's a sheltered 3rd pairing defenseman. Thing is though if someone uses him properly (like Chicago was) he can actually be a very useful piece in a top-heavy (meaning the top-pairings take on ridiculous competition) defensive system (Leafs, Sharks, Kings, etc).

Franson is a gigantic upgrade on Polak in every way, and it would without a doubt help Borgman 5v5 (who's played literally the easiest minutes of any defenseman to play more than 500 minutes).

Also, just so everyone knows, Polak isn't really that good on the PK, he's just a guy who would take a puck to the face for his team. Rielly, Hainsey, and Zaitsev are all better, and Franson has shown to be a decent penalty killer in his short stints.

Pierre Lebrun

Nov 3, 2014
Anyone know the current waiver priority/order? I could see a few teams being interested so it would be nice to know. Unless I'm dumb and it's just as simple as last place to first.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
He has been fine. but you cannot play 8 D men consistently. Jordan Osterle has been good, Murphy is improved, so that would leave Rutta RD, Kempny LD with size and speed and a Big shot, and Franson trying to get the 6th spot. Rutta, and OST being better then expected and with a higher ceiling meant Franson would sit until there was a injury or 2. waiving him lets us keep 14 FR which we probably have to when Artem comes back. Plus our speed on the back end is AVG with him out and is slow with him in.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
It's all about context. Cody Franson has always been an advanced stats darling, and that rel.CF% does look real nice to someone who doesn't fully understand that. What's missing is his quality of competition and zone starts to give that number some context; which both show he's a sheltered 3rd pairing defenseman. Thing is though if someone uses him properly (like Chicago was) he can actually be a very useful piece in a top-heavy (meaning the top-pairings take on ridiculous competition) defensive system (Leafs, Sharks, Kings, etc).

Franson is a gigantic upgrade on Polak in every way, and it would without a doubt help Borgman 5v5 (who's played literally the easiest minutes of any defenseman to play more than 500 minutes).

Also, just so everyone knows, Polak isn't really that good on the PK, he's just a guy who would take a puck to the face for his team. Rielly, Hainsey, and Zaitsev are all better, and Franson has shown to be a decent penalty killer in his short stints.

The other thing that inflates the hell out of his corsi and not taken into consideration is ratio of high danger vs low danger shots from him and with him on the ice and even strength

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
The other thing that inflates the hell out of his corsi and not taken into consideration is ratio of high danger vs low danger shots from him and with him on the ice and even strength

I agree, but only to an extent. His rel.xGF% is still quite good (+5.48%). He is more of a shot attempt guy, but when he's on the ice good things happen. As long as he's kept to his sheltered role (which Polak plays anyway for the Leafs), he's a large improvement on almost all bottom-pairing defenseman in the NHL. That combined with being surprisingly very good on the PP means there should be 20+ teams in the league looking for his services.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Please stay away Lou. This guy is the analytics communities blind spot. He's not good.

That's a fantastic description.

Looking forward to this waiver move getting universally panned on the Internet, and high praise being levied on the team who picks him up.

I can't see it. Folin > Franson, and that move would cockblock Paul LaDue coming up, who is far more dynamic and more of what we need. Doughty-Folin-LaDue down the right is much better footspeed and puck movement than Doughty-Folin-Franson.

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
I thought this happened a week into the season... didn’t realize he was still around

isles55

Mar 7, 2015
If he's not going to make a trade, Snow needs to be all over this. He's much better than Mayfield, Hickey, Seidenberg, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad