Post-Game Talk: WCQF GM5 | Canucks lose to Predators | 1-2 (Zadorov) | Back to Nashville

AzNightmare

Unregistered User
May 11, 2011
I mean who cares?? The call either gets called right or the challenge fails probably quickly

I don't know, I don't make the rules. lol.

I think the league should just review the goals properly in the first place. What's the point of challenges.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
It’s clearly some sort of team strategy to work the puck for high percentage shots (which is one of the reasons our PDO is so high). The amount of times in this series where a guy had a shooting opportunity and passed it up to try and create a tap-in for someone else is nuts. In tonight’s game we utterly dominated the first period … to the tune of 7 shots. And it wasn’t like we couldn’t have shot more.

We’re basically the exact opposite of Carolina who shoot from anywhere/everywhere.
I mean if it's a strategy and not simple ineptitude then that's extremely frustrating but also encouraging. Means it can be rectified. I hope you're right.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I mean if it's a strategy and not simple ineptitude then that's extremely frustrating but also encouraging. Means it can be rectified. I hope you're right.
I listened to a Craig Berube interview
(who Tocchet is good friends with and talks to consistently), when he coached the Blues they had bad/mediocre corsi but always had high sh%’s. They were also constantly near or at the top of the league in cross ice passes in the offensive zone.

He was asked about it and said he coached his players to just hold onto the puck and look for a better play instead of taking a shot on a set goalie without enough traffic in front.

I think Tocchet agrees with this strategy but the Blues were a bigger team up front so it was easier for them to pull it off in the playoffs, Nashville has also scouted this so they’re prepared for the point shots and the cross ice passes so here we are now.

AzNightmare

Unregistered User
May 11, 2011

That really depends on the coaching and the ability to change strategy on the fly..

Reactions: Jay26

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
We’ve had 3 borderline Nashville goals on this series - Demko glove slash in Game 1, Forsberg kicked goal in Game 4 and then tonight.

Odds are at least 1 and probably 2 of those goals get called back.

Yeah. If this happened in the third period of a regular season game I would understand keeping it safe Get the guaranteed point in overtime and maybe another point. In the third period of a playoff game where you can eliminate the other team and get much needed rest is absolutely and the other team scores the tying goal is absolutely not the time to play it safe. Probably the biggest gaffe of Tocchet’s tenure so far.

Reactions: BimJenning

BimJenning

Feb 17, 2008
Vancouver
Hoglander with 24 ESG and then a goose egg has been...not great.
Hoglander and Joshua regressing was a matter of time, they were shooting over 20% in the regular season

Agree with the comments on Hronek. Unless he's hurt... That is not above a $7M player at best.

Impressed with the backups coming in. This could be a lot uglier series, given how our offense has been. Hoglander and Mikheyev need to be slotted down the lineup, ideally, with Suter

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I think though that if you go:
hog - EP - Lindholm
Boeser-miller-suter
Dak-blueger-garland

you should have two lines that have proven historically to put the puck in the net, and another line with EP and lindholm that have clicked in international play. Hog helps dig out pucks, hits, scores.
Mikheyev should not be in the lineup at all. Contributes nothing. Sure he’s relatively fast, but to what end? A giveaway.

My main criticism of this, is that Lindholm has been an absolute rock as a defensive center. I don't see it as all that beneficial to take him away from that role right now.

And the other bigger thing is...Hoggy and Petey are just a terrible fit together. Period. They had one very tiny stretch where it looked moderately okay. But by and large, they're oil and water. Their styles just do not mesh. They don't read off each other well. They tend to bring out the worst in each other whenever they end up together.

I also vehemently disagree on Mikheyev. I honestly don't understand what people are watching with him. He's snakebit beyond belief, but he's one of the few who has actually been generating chances to flub in the first place. And contributing an absolute ton elsewise all around the ice.

I don't mind the idea of bumping Lindholm up and shaking things up in the right situation. Getting the Blueg Man Group back together works for me too. But i think it'd look something more like:

Suter-Miller-Boeser
Pettersson-Lindholm-Mikheyev
Dak-Bluegers-Garland
PDG-Lafferty-Hoglander

Or you still just flip Petey/Suter spots and run the Lotto Line. Have a good "checking line" around Lindholm anyway.

Reactions: arttk

aquaweenie

Feb 23, 2024
7/12 forwards with 0 goals do any of those 7 look threatening at all ? I wouldn’t put a bet on any of them to score if my life depended on it! Even if I got a free bet for it I wouldn’t make it. Piusy gets set up 3 times a game with literal tap ins and even though he has the one I’m not betting on him scoring either

May as well load up the lotto line because Petey can’t shoot (did you see that muffin on the 2 on 1 w/ PDG) and neither of his linemates look even remotely a scoring threat. He needs to pass and the only shooters are JT and Boessy

Reactions: Jay26

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Pettersson had his best game of the series. That he still didn't score is an indictment in of itself, but man, his wingers are doing their level best to prevent that line from converting. They are terrible.

Lindholm line isn't pushing like Joshua-Blueger-Garland had been. Switch it. Tocchet has that line togerher as a safety valve, I get it, but it's now about generating offense. You're not winning with 1 goal late in the last 2 games. Get chemistry among your lines. It's there with Suter-Miller-Boeser.

It's ironic that Zadorov's rush (I don't see him as a puck mover) resulted in a goal while this team lacks puck movers in their bottom 4 Dmen...

This was a deserved loss. VAN did more than enough to allow NSH to win, and they did.

Last edited:

rea

Feb 8, 2011
Weird they wouldn't even show the josi goal on the big screen at game tonight after he scored. U could see canucks debating it at bench while preds were lined up rdy to go face off, but no overhead replay on it.

Reactions: John Belushi

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
The fact you have to challenge 1 of 2 goals scored in close to 50minutes of icetime and risk a SH situation is pretty much the dumbest shit imaginable...makes sense the NHL keeps trudging down this path

Reactions: Bonham

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
It’s clearly some sort of team strategy to work the puck for high percentage shots (which is one of the reasons our PDO is so high). The amount of times in this series where a guy had a shooting opportunity and passed it up to try and create a tap-in for someone else is nuts. In tonight’s game we utterly dominated the first period … to the tune of 7 shots. And it wasn’t like we couldn’t have shot more.

We’re basically the exact opposite of Carolina who shoot from anywhere/everywhere.
Yeah I looked at this a few weeks ago because I was wondering what changed before and after the all star break.

Before (score and venue adjusted):
23rd in CF/60
13th in xGF/60
16th in SCF/60
11th in HDCF/60

After:
12th in CF/60
12th in xGF/60
11th in SCF/60
5th in HDCF/60

Of course, we went from 1st to 17th in HDSH% in that time, and are currently second last in the playoffs ahead of Tampa.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Was very strange how few people were concerned with the goal scoring, after trading it's 2 leading goal scorers from last year..

Doesn't take long before the 'next man up' is a plug.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
it was well obvious they still needed to find a foward that can put the puck in the net. and here we are 5 games in 20 shots and lack of finish aside from boeser/zadaorov/miller/lindholm. nobody can put the puck in the net.

rea

Feb 8, 2011
Also, they got killed in faceoffs today. Lead to unnecessary puck battles. It was actually really ugly for our guys. They gotta be better there, this was quite abnormal result

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad