Player Discussion Cody Ceci | Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Wow. An almost perfect period for Ottawa and people are on the lookout for mistakes made by a 22 year old Dman who's been a beast all playoffs.

If there was mistake there was mistake. Burrowsaurus is fair by saying that since he followed by saying that he played well after that.

I too think he had nerve and made some mistake to start to game, but than it was 4-0 and you could tell that the nerve were down and he was able to play his game.

Young player tend to get nervous and that's fair if you can aknowleage that nerve are part of game. The experience he is getting is very valuable. Ceci's playoff > Ceci's Season.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Ceci is playing his best hockey of the playoffs after struggling against the Rangers.

Zorf said:
The only thing I would like Ceci to improve is his confidence when passing the puck. I think he's trying too hard to make the safe play at times, and that causes him to make a soft, fluffy pass that gets intercepted and then the Sens get hemmed in their zone.

It's funny because Claesson has a great deal more confidence with the puck.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
hey...look at that, last post was May 18th. 13 days without a Ceci complaint. New board record.

Ceci took a lot of criticism this year, a lot of it related to puck movement. End of year Dorion goes thru a long list of guys with bobos, but with Ceci he said broken fingers multiple times.

Ok, so lots of different suggestions in various threads on trade possibilities and Ceci's name pops up here and there, sometimes related to wingers. IMO wingers are the least important position in the game

I'm curious though what people think Ceci's value is in a trade. Drouin has been mentioned a lot. Compared to this time last year, I do not think Drouin's value has gone up. 53 points in 73 games, I'm thinking a lot of people probably projected him higher than that. Chabot clearly exceeded expectations and his stock has risen. Ceci played a different role, managed to scrape by, played a 7th game round 3 and big minutes throughout, and although his offensive game suffered I think that the multiple broken fingers earns him a bit of a bye there.

Ottawa allegedly wouldn't do that Drouin deal last year, there's no way IMO they'd do it this year. So, where do you think Ceci's value in a trade is? Name names.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
hey...look at that, last post was May 18th. 13 days without a Ceci complaint. New board record.

Ceci took a lot of criticism this year, a lot of it related to puck movement. End of year Dorion goes thru a long list of guys with bobos, but with Ceci he said broken fingers multiple times.

Ok, so lots of different suggestions in various threads on trade possibilities and Ceci's name pops up here and there, sometimes related to wingers. IMO wingers are the least important position in the game

I'm curious though what people think Ceci's value is in a trade. Drouin has been mentioned a lot. Compared to this time last year, I do not think Drouin's value has gone up. 53 points in 73 games, I'm thinking a lot of people probably projected him higher than that. Chabot clearly exceeded expectations and his stock has risen. Ceci played a different role, managed to scrape by, played a 7th game round 3 and big minutes throughout, and although his offensive game suffered I think that the multiple broken fingers earns him a bit of a bye there.

Ottawa allegedly wouldn't do that Drouin deal last year, there's no way IMO they'd do it this year. So, where do you think Ceci's value in a trade is? Name names.

I don't think the rumoured deal last year was just Drouin for Ceci, it was for Ceci+ if memory serves, with the plus likely being one of our big three prospects. I do think Drouin's value would have increased though, he's 22 yrs old, put up 53 pts in 73 games, about a 60 pts pace, from a guy with next to no track record prior to the trade rumours.

In the end though, our RD depth is attrocious without Ceci, so I don't see the team being willing to move him. For all the complaints about his puck movement this year, it makes sens that he suffered mutltple broken fingers, it also explains why Melnyk was so emotional about the crosby slash, ranting about how he sees all the aftermath of those slashes.

Methot's finger, Ryan's multiple breaks, and now apparently Ceci with multiple breaks too, we need to invest in some better gloves.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I don't think the rumoured deal last year was just Drouin for Ceci, it was for Ceci+ if memory serves, with the plus likely being one of our big three prospects.

The package was Ceci+2016 1st (projected anywhere from 8-14 at the time, long shot at playoffs ended up being 12th which resulted in us getting Brown)+(White or Chabot)

I think it was Ian Mendes on TSN 1200 who touched on it a few days ago. Saying something along the lines that he heard from someone involved that it wasn't just Ceci, and that was the package. There was also a TB Lightning journalist or media guy who was tweeting about it being that package (although no mention of Chabot only White) a while ago as well.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I recall the package being Ceci + 1st +Chabot or White which is why I mentioned Chabot.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Methot's finger, Ryan's multiple breaks, and now apparently Ceci with multiple breaks too, we need to invest in some better gloves.

Seriously. This is getting ridiculous.

Not only that, but you break the finger of someone who is a known dangler/soft hands type....to me, that is as career-threatening as the old ACL injuries were for guys 20-30 years ago. Guys like Ryan live and die with their hands. They need better protection.

The package was Ceci+2016 1st (projected anywhere from 8-14 at the time, long shot at playoffs ended up being 12th which resulted in us getting Brown)+(White or Chabot)

I think it was Ian Mendes on TSN 1200 who touched on it a few days ago. Saying something along the lines that he heard from someone involved that it wasn't just Ceci, and that was the package. There was also a TB Lightning journalist or media guy who was tweeting about it being that package (although no mention of Chabot only White) a while ago as well.

That is insane. I wouldn't have done that last year, and wouldn't do it this year, either. Drouin may have some skills, but I'm not paying that kind of price for a winger unless he's consistently going above PPG numbers.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Chabot wasn't part of the deal. Such a missed opportunity.

Phaneuf and Ceci isn't a viable option for us moving forward as a pairing. Ceci should be the one to go.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Chabot wasn't part of the deal. Such a missed opportunity.

If we made that trade, we'd have had to make at least one more for a replacement Dman, no way we go anywhere with Wideman as our 2nd pair RD. I guess we could have moved Phaneuf over to RD, but then we'd have probably seen Boro playing in the top 4...

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I probably shouldn't have mentioned Drouin. It was just a big rumour from last year. Didn't happen last year, definitely not this year

Forget Drouin. I am genuinely curious what people think Ceci could fetch in a trade.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
If we made that trade, we'd have had to make at least one more for a replacement Dman, no way we go anywhere with Wideman as our 2nd pair RD. I guess we could have moved Phaneuf over to RD, but then we'd have probably seen Boro playing in the top 4...

Doesn't matter if you create a hole in the top 4 when you're getting a great talent in Drouin back. Call up Cleasson and run the season out with him.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I get wanting to upgrade on him, or wanting to reduce his role, but you've been going on about trading him before he has zero value. I really don't see that happening.

I am only saying "Huh" because someone called him "the most underrated player on the team". That's all. I kind of understand what people like about him, but saying his is the most underrated player is kinda crazy. Have you heard people in here gush over him?

And yes, we should absolutely move him before he has zero value. I don't see it happening either, but a man can only hope.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I am only saying "Huh" because someone called him "the most underrated player on the team". That's all. I kind of understand what people like about him, but saying his is the most underrated player is kinda crazy. Have you heard people in here gush over him?

And yes, we should absolutely move him before he has zero value. I don't see it happening either, but a man can only hope.

I guess at the end of the day, the people who gush over him, and those worried about moving him before having no value, are both on the extremes, so he's probably both the most over-valued, and undervalued player on the team at the same time, though I seen very few people, if any, gush over him.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I guess at the end of the day, the people who gush over him, and those worried about moving him before having no value, are both on the extremes, so he's probably both the most over-valued, and undervalued player on the team at the same time, though I seen very few people, if any, gush over him.

He's the new Radek Bonk - coach loves him but the fanbase is 50-50 divided on whether he is good or whether he sucks.

I like Ceci. He's got a great attitude, he competes hard, he plays hurt, he plays hard. He's had his name in the rumour mill playing under the microscope in Ottawa for 2 years now. I'd like to see fans get behind him and cheer for him a bit and see what he can do with a city that's fully confident in him.

Ceci is resilient for such a young player but all this nego talk will get to him eventually. Hopefully it stops and we can appreciate what we have. We only have 1 perfect player, everyone other player on our team has faults.

You think Ceci makes bad mistakes - wait until Chabot gets completely run over next year by Malkin or Radulov and then let's see how the fanbase treats him as a rookie. Chabot is going to struggle with D so if you're a fan who has a problem with Ceci - get ready to be disappointed with Chabot - because Chabot is going to be worse then Ceci at playing D.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I probably shouldn't have mentioned Drouin. It was just a big rumour from last year. Didn't happen last year, definitely not this year

Forget Drouin. I am genuinely curious what people think Ceci could fetch in a trade.

Right now? Very little, and that's not because Ceci is a bad player. Far from it. It's because the trade market right now is a buyer's market due to the looming expansion draft. Everyone is looking to move guys for picks and prospects, so as a result picks and prospects are currently overvalued, and NHL roster players are undervalued. Trading Ceci right now would be lunacy - our return would be very little, and some club out there would be laughing all the way to the bank, taking a promising young defenceman off our hands for a handful of magic beans. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
He's the new Radek Bonk - coach loves him but the fanbase is 50-50 divided on whether he is good or whether he sucks.

I like Ceci. He's got a great attitude, he competes hard, he plays hurt, he plays hard. He's had his name in the rumour mill playing under the microscope in Ottawa for 2 years now. I'd like to see fans get behind him and cheer for him a bit and see what he can do with a city that's fully confident in him.

Ceci is resilient for such a young player but all this nego talk will get to him eventually. Hopefully it stops and we can appreciate what we have. We only have 1 perfect player, everyone other player on our team has faults.

You think Ceci makes bad mistakes - wait until Chabot gets completely run over next year by Malkin or Radulov and then let's see how the fanbase treats him as a rookie. Chabot is going to struggle with D so if you're a fan who has a problem with Ceci - get ready to be disappointed with Chabot - because Chabot is going to be worse then Ceci at playing D.

Criticizing Ceci has nothing to do with Chabot. Even if Chabot struggles in the NHL, how does that makes our criticism on Ceci unjustified?

Totally different players, with very different skill-sets. Chabot is obviously much more talented with the puck. When Chabot makes the team, he will not be a heads-on Ceci's replacement.

I just don't understand how does Chabot manages to make his way into every discussion on Ceci.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Ceci is resilient for such a young player but all this nego talk will get to him eventually. Hopefully it stops and we can appreciate what we have.

What nego talk? It might be one thing if it was coming from his coach and teammates but do you really think he cares about the opinions of press donkeys and the internet ignorami?

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

Ceci sure gets a lot of praise for a bunch of things that have nothing to do with any technical skill a professional hockey player should have.

Since you want to compare, I am sure that after 4 years in the league, Chabot will look much more comfortable than Ceci does now.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Criticizing Ceci has nothing to do with Chabot. Even if Chabot struggles in the NHL, how does that makes our criticism on Ceci unjustified?

Totally different players, with very different skill-sets. Chabot is obviously much more talented with the puck. When Chabot makes the team, he will not be a heads-on Ceci's replacement.

I just don't understand how does Chabot manages to make his way into every discussion on Ceci.

In a larger contact it's critiquing a young Dman who is making his way in the NHL. So if the fan base doesn't like Ceci making mistakes, they'll ram it down Chabot's throat as well. Remember when EK was a young D and he couldn't contain any big bodies, they'd literally just stand with their back to him and he couldn't do a thing. Chabot will suffer this same fate.

I'm all for going after guys for effort, for poor conditioning, for bad attitudes. Ceci has known of this and I think after a while as a fanbase, you just have to accept the player he is. If Ceci was out of shape, didn't look engaged then let him have it. But I see a player giving 100% who's not a fully developed Dman and is improving but for some reason a big chunk of the fanbase can't accept that Ceci has a lot to learn, but he's learning quickly and he's open to learning.

Players I don't like are young D like Schubert who said he wanted this and that when he didn't even have a regular NHL job. Ceci is a pro. He'll be better next year, so my hope is the new whipping boy isn't Chabot just because he's a young Dman who's not 28 years old yet

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
In a larger contact it's critiquing a young Dman who is making his way in the NHL. So if the fan base doesn't like Ceci making mistakes, they'll ram it down Chabot's throat as well. Remember when EK was a young D and he couldn't contain any big bodies, they'd literally just stand with their back to him and he couldn't do a thing. Chabot will suffer this same fate.

Players I don't like are young D like Schubert who said he wanted this and that when he didn't even have a regular NHL job. Ceci is a pro. He'll be better next year, so my hope is the new whipping boy isn't Chabot just because he's a young Dman I'm all for going after guys for effort, for poor conditioning, for bad attitudes. Ceci has known of this and I think after a while as a fanbase, you just have to accept the player he is. If Ceci was out of shape, didn't look engaged then let him have it. But I see a player giving 100% who's not a fully developed Dman and is improving but for some reason a big chunk of the fanbase can't accept that Ceci has a lot to learn, but he's learning quickly and he's open to learning.who's not 28 years old yet

So, because Ceci tries hard, we should all just wait this out?? Everyone also said last year that he would be better this year. Is he? Just because he plays more minutes doesn't mean he is better.

Erik Karlsson was a dynamic D-man the moment he stepped into the league. You could see what he was gonna become. Still waiting to see what Ceci will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad