Coaching Prospects: Who's available?

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I think they'll try and bring him back. Don't know how I feel about it yet. Probably not an upgrade out there. Tarasenko is going to be very upset.

I find it hard to believe that there are 0 coaches out there that have won something more recent than 17 years ago as an HC or can relate better to todays players and knows a fresher / more modern style of hockey.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
There's Mike Yeo but he hasn't exactly got his team far in the playoffs. Might be able to do something better with our group of guys though, who knows.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
With some quick looking, Randy Carlyle, Marc Crawford, and Craig Berube seem available. Is there any interest there?

A resounding no to any of them. I just don't see them as high quality coaches. I would prefer Hitch and most here know that isn't something I want to see again.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
A resounding no to any of them. I just don't see them as high quality coaches. I would prefer Hitch and most here know that isn't something I want to see again.

Agree. It's easy to say "get a new coach", but if he's clearly a worse option than what you've already got, what's the point? Sure...a different voice may be beneficial, but this is also a case of 'be careful what you wish for...you just might get it'.

the only guy i was somewhat excited about got hired by Ottawa.

JoshFromMO

Apr 6, 2015
Missoura
Agree. It's easy to say "get a new coach", but if he's clearly a worse option than what you've already got, what's the point? Sure...a different voice may be beneficial, but this is also a case of 'be careful what you wish for...you just might get it'.

the only guy i was somewhat excited about got hired by Ottawa.

It almost seems like Yeo or Torchetti(?) Is going to happen at least as interim coach.

Stealth JD

Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Here are the guys who have been to the NHL's Final-Four, since the 2006 Playoffs. Any of these guys interest anyone, and available? (Randy Carlyle)

2006 Carolina EDM BUF ANA
Peter Laviolette Craig MacTavish Lindy Ruff Randy Carlyle

2007 ANA OTT BUF DET
Randy Carlyle Bryan Murray Lindy Ruff Mike Babcock

2008 DET PIT PHI DAL
Mike Babcock Michel Therrien John Stevens Dave Tippett

2009 PIT DET CAR CHI
Dan Bylsma Mike Babcock Paul Maurice Joel Quenneville

2010 CHI PHI MON SJ
Joel Quenneville Peter Laviolette Jacques Martin Todd McLellan

2011 BOS VAN TAM SJ
Claude Julien Alain Vigneault Guy Boucher Todd McLellan

2012 LA NJ NYR PHX
Darryl Sutter Pete DeBoer John Torterella Dave Tippett

2013 CHI BOS PIT LA
Joel Quenneville Claude Julien Dan Bylsma Darryl Sutter

2014 LA NYR MON CHI
Darryl Sutter Alain Vigneault Michel Therrien Joel Quenneville

2015 CHI TAM NYR ANA
Joel Quenneville Jon Cooper Alain Vigneault Bruce Boudreau

2016 SAN TAM PIT STL
Pete DeBoer Jon Cooper Mike Sullivan Ken Hitchcock

Most of the guys on this list that look interesting have jobs and are going nowhere. Too bad the Rags and Bruins didn't can their guys. Maybe Tampa will look to move on from Coop if they lose again in the Finals (haha).

sbkbghockey

Aug 26, 2008
at the ice rink, USA
Here are the guys who have been to the NHL's Final-Four, since the 2006 Playoffs. Any of these guys interest anyone, and available? (Randy Carlyle)

2006 Carolina EDM BUF ANA
Peter Laviolette Craig MacTavish Lindy Ruff Randy Carlyle

2007 ANA OTT BUF DET
Randy Carlyle Bryan Murray Lindy Ruff Mike Babcock

2008 DET PIT PHI DAL
Mike Babcock Michel Therrien John Stevens Dave Tippett

2009 PIT DET CAR CHI
Dan Bylsma Mike Babcock Paul Maurice Joel Quenneville

2010 CHI PHI MON SJ
Joel Quenneville Peter Laviolette Jacques Martin Todd McLellan

2011 BOS VAN TAM SJ
Claude Julien Alain Vigneault Guy Boucher Todd McLellan

2012 LA NJ NYR PHX
Darryl Sutter Pete DeBoer John Torterella Dave Tippett

2013 CHI BOS PIT LA
Joel Quenneville Claude Julien Dan Bylsma Darryl Sutter

2014 LA NYR MON CHI
Darryl Sutter Alain Vigneault Michel Therrien Joel Quenneville

2015 CHI TAM NYR ANA
Joel Quenneville Jon Cooper Alain Vigneault Bruce Boudreau

2016 SAN TAM PIT STL
Pete DeBoer Jon Cooper Mike Sullivan Ken Hitchcock

Most of the guys on this list that look interesting have jobs and are going nowhere. Too bad the Rags and Bruins didn't can their guys. Maybe Tampa will look to move on from Coop if they lose again in the Finals (haha).

I think TB getting this far with Stammer and Bishop out with injuries will give John Cooper more time if their season ends this round of in the SCF. That said, John Cooper would be an amazing get for the Blues. He has STL ties too, he led the St. Louis Bandits to back-to-back NAHL Robertson Cup Champions in 2007 and 2008.

Stealth JD

Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I think TB getting this far with Stammer and Bishop out with injuries will give John Cooper more time if their season ends this round of in the SCF. That said, John Cooper would be an amazing get for the Blues. He has STL ties too, he led the St. Louis Bandits to back-to-back NAHL Robertson Cup Champions in 2007 and 2008.

Yeah...Cooper would be my first choice by far...but Tampa would be foolish to get rid of him.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
If you want a very bright young coach consider Todd Nelson. He was my first choice in Ottawa. He was interim coach in Edmonton Between Dallas Eakins and Todd McLellan. Reportedly most of the players wanted to keep him in the job but management couldn't pass up an opportunity to land McLellan.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
I've said it too many times already, but I'll stand by it and continue to hope for Sheldon Keefe!!!

Sheldon Keefe, Jamie Kompon and Luke Richardson are the main reasons why I hope Blues management looks beyond the NHL for a coach. There are some really good options available.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Kind of like the Sheldon Keefe idea as well. I can't think of his name, but Quinnipac's coach is awfully good. His teams seem to come prepared and ready to play. I think we are giving Hitch way too much credit for having so much talent to make up for his coaching deficiancies and a crappy system he won't let go of.

Chippewa

Feb 19, 2012
houseboat, venezuela
Sincerely hope that they dont go with the "promote an assistant" or "NHL re-tread" option. There are plenty of great coaches out there in the AHL, juniors, internationally.

Is Andrei Tarasenko available? :sarcasm:

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
Could Jamie Kompon replace Brad Shaw for the Blues? Kompon was released from Portland after their season ended.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
We can thrown names out there, but it's almost impossible to know who the best options are since we can't actually sit down with them and hear their thoughts on what they think our problems are, and how they would address them.

About the best we can do is say who we wouldn't like to see behind the bench for whatever reason.

SteenMachine

Oct 19, 2008
Fenton, MO
Kind of like the Sheldon Keefe idea as well. I can't think of his name, but Quinnipac's coach is awfully good. His teams seem to come prepared and ready to play. I think we are giving Hitch way too much credit for having so much talent to make up for his coaching deficiancies and a crappy system he won't let go of.

He's a guy that's proven you can't just merge two forms of success and get automatic results. A lot of people hired him to coach deep, high-talent teams and got the same results as always. It's like the myth that all of Crosby's wingers will add 10 goals and 15+ points to their regular output.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad