Coaching Prospects: Who's available?

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
If the Blues don't perform well in the playoffs, we will almost certainly be looking for a new coach.

Who would you like to see considered for the job as the next Blues coach?

BTW, I hope we do perform well in the playoffs but think we might as well start thinking about the pool of candidates who might be available.

All thoughts are welcome.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
If we get rid of Hitch, I'm half expecting us to target an ex-Maple Leafs coach; Ron Wilson or Randy Carlyle.

There is also Guy Boucher. I wouldn't want him as a head coach, but he is a perfect assistant. Bring him in and we'll have the best PP in the League next season.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Would Ted Nolan even be part of the conversation--probably not.

On another note, does anyone think that that our HOF senior advisers, MacInnis and Brodeur, might have a place in discussions on any level....assistant coach or higher?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Even if the Blues win the Cup, I think Hitchcock may retire.
Agreed

Wouldn't be surprised to see Mike Yeo.
giphy.gif

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I don't think he's that bad of a coach, personally. His time just expired with the Wild.

No, not terrible, but more of the same system.

I remember hearing on a broadcast or NHL radio that Tippett may be on the way out of Arizona. His name keeps popping up when some prod JR about the situation. I think he's still got some years left though

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes

I remember hearing on a broadcast or NHL radio that Tippett may be on the way out of Arizona. His name keeps popping up when some prod JR about the situation. I think he's still got some years left though

IIRC he has an out clause of some kind. His name was being brought up last spring/this summer as a possibility before Hitch was re-signed.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I don't think he's that bad of a coach, personally. His time just expired with the Wild.

Yeo out coach Hitch last year 100-0. I think if we just pick random coach in Blues head coach he would do better job in post-season then Hitch., he got the worst record in last 4 years in the post-season.

I don't mind drafting top 15 picks with Bill Armwtrong at least couple years rather then burn the hell out of good future assets.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas

Arizona would be foolish to part with him, but if he becomes available he's a very attractive choice.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Arizona would be foolish to part with him, but if he becomes available he's a very attractive choice.

I'd agree but I remember hearing this after their hot start to the season. Doesn't make much sense but seems to be smoke around his name and the Blues

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I'd agree but I remember hearing this after their hot start to the season. Doesn't make much sense but seems to be smoke around his name and the Blues

I heard that last season, too. I would not be surprised to learn that Armstrong already knew Tippetts would become available after this season and that was part of his thinking in giving Hitchcock another year after both Babcock and McLellan declined.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
I've said it before, but I think the team should go after someone young and hot, with a lot of fire under them. D.J. Smith would be a nice pick IMO.

I like Yeo too.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I've said it before, but I think the team should go after someone young and hot, with a lot of fire under them. D.J. Smith would be a nice pick IMO.

I like Yeo too.
I pretty much agree with this. I think those would be my top choices at this point, unless there's another up and coming AHL coach who slips my mind.

Yeo isn't really that exciting but eh...could be worse. I hate Ron Wilson and am not really a fan of Carlyle either (but I could live with the latter). Tippett is probably a better option than all three but I just feel like he would be too much of the same.

If the Blues even consider Ron Wilson we are doomed. He is hated by so many of his former teams' fans and even players. You can look up some doozy quotes he's said to the media too and quickly learn why any team should star far away from him these days. He's terrible. Hitchcock would be better than him and I'd prefer pretty much anyone else over both of them.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I pretty much agree with this. I think those would be my top choices at this point, unless there's another up and coming AHL coach who slips my mind.

Yeo isn't really that exciting but eh...could be worse. I hate Ron Wilson and am not really a fan of Carlyle either (but I could live with the latter). Tippett is probably a better option than all three but I just feel like he would be too much of the same.

If the Blues even consider Ron Wilson we are doomed. He is hated by so many of his former teams' fans and even players. You can look up some doozy quotes he's said to the media too and quickly learn why any team should star far away from him these days. He's terrible. Hitchcock would be better than him and I'd prefer pretty much anyone else over both of them.

Is this such a bad thing? Do we think we are a million miles away from being legitimate contenders, or could some subtle changes make all the difference? I think it is probably the latter.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Is this such a bad thing? Do we think we are a million miles away from being legitimate contenders, or could some subtle changes make all the difference? I think it is probably the latter.
I think they are far away, yes.

Tippett is a solid coach. But everything about that worries me... Former Dallas Star coach, defensive system. I don't really see what would change. I basically want a completely new face and energy in the room.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

I think we're a good offensive coach away from talking the next step. It could even be an assistant coach.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I'm holding out hope that the Ducks get thumped in the 1st round and decide to fire Bruce Boudreau. I think he is the absolute ideal coach for this roster. Unfortunately, I think it is pretty darn unlikely for him to be available for the next few years.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
I'm holding out hope that the Ducks get thumped in the 1st round and decide to fire Bruce Boudreau. I think he is the absolute ideal coach for this roster. Unfortunately, I think it is pretty darn unlikely for him to be available for the next few years.

I was hoping the Kings would bomb this year and Sutter might be available--sounded like the players were near mutiny with him last season--alas..no joy....Kings looking very strong this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad