Coaching Prospects: Who's available?

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Bob Hartley was fired today.
Flames didn't have great possession stats but goalkeeping was their problem.

We can at least add him to a candidate list.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Bob Hartley was fired today.
Flames didn't have great possession stats but goalkeeping was their problem.

We can at least add him to a candidate list.

Sometimes it feels like there can only be the 30 coaches who are already in the league, and they just shuffle like musical chairs. I'd like to think there are some sharp young coaching candidates who can do a better job, but it seems like GMs put a very high premium on previous NHL experience.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Not interested in Hartley in the slightest. He's not a very good coach. Calgary had a solid defensive core and some nice offensive pieces and still got destroyed in possession. That's as much on the coach as anything else.

oPlaiD

Dec 3, 2007
So who wants to bring back Davis Payne now that he's got more experience behind an NHL bench? Young blood right?

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
What about Todd Richards?
Former coach of the Blue Jackets. A team that in 2013 barely missed out, made it in 2014, injury plagued like crazy in 2015 and Bob was the worst goalie in the first 7 games.

Maybe he's an option?

ChelFan31

Mar 22, 2016
Senators fan here. What are your thoughts on Army showing Hitch the door if they don't make it past this 2nd round vs Dallas...

Would love to see him up here....he would provide a real shot in the arm that this team so desperately needs.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Senators fan here. What are your thoughts on Army showing Hitch the door if they don't make it past this 2nd round vs Dallas...

Would love to see him up here....he would provide a real shot in the arm that this team so desperately needs.

Hopefully 100% he is gone, even if we do make it past Dallas

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I think you guys gonna love this proposal.
What about finnish coach Erkka Westerlund? Google him.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
I think you guys gonna love this proposal.
What about finnish coach Erkka Westerlund? Google him.

What do his teams play like? He speak English?

His records aren't bad however struggled in recent playoff success.

I'm trying to think of coaches. I don't know anyone that outside of the NHL.
Dale Hunter? Lol.

WalterSobchak

Blues Trololol
Mar 11, 2004
Where men chunder
www.larddesigns.com
This article on TSN regarding the race for Boudreau has a list of interesting head coach options.

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/the-race-is-on-for-boudreau-1.482906

Potential names to watch for NHL coaching vacancies:

Scott Arniel (Rangers associate coach): Had his first chance running a bench in Columbus. Blue Jackets gig is a coach killer. Arniel is ready for new life.

Guy Boucher (ex-SC Bern): Will have to prove he can coach more than just a trap system.

Bruce Boudreau (ex-Anaheim): The name du jour in NHL circles right now. He’s on everyone’s interview list.

Randy Carlyle (ex-Toronto): Still one of the best bench coaches in the game.

Bruce Cassidy (AHL Providence): On a real nice five-year run with the AHL Bruins. If the big club makes a change, he’ll get a long look from GM Don Sweeney.

Marc Crawford (ex-Zurich): Once fiery, a European vacation has made him a more rounded coach.

Kevin Dineen (Chicago assistant coach): Success with the Hawks could give this former Panthers head coach another opportunity.

Dallas Eakins (AHL San Diego): Too much, too fast in Edmonton. He’s California living right now. No rush.

Travis Green (AHL Vancouver): Has had success as a coach in the CHL and the AHL. Only a matter of time until he gets an NHL bench and some believe that time is now.

Bob Hartley (ex-Ottawa): He’s won a Stanley Cup, a title in Europe and a Jack Adams. That’s quite a resume.

Sheldon Keefe (AHL Toronto): On the rise.

Nate Leaman (NCAA Providence College): Eight years as the head coach at Union College and now in his fourth year at Providence. Think Dave Hakstol and his move from North Dakota to the Philadelphia Flyers.

Paul MacLean (Anaheim assistant coach): Experienced. He wasn’t the problem in Ottawa.

Kirk Muller (St. Louis Blues assistant coach): Wants his own bench again.

Todd Nelson (Grand Rapids Griffins): Nelson just seems to win wherever he goes and did a credible job during his interim stint last year with the Oilers.

Todd Richards (ex-Columbus): Same deal as Scott Arniel.

Brad Shaw (St. Louis Blues associate coach): Shaw is on a nine-year run with the Blues. If GM Doug Armstrong elects to move out Ken Hitchcock, he’s got a strong candidate in house.

Mike Yeo (ex-Minnesota): The players quit in Minnesota and Yeo paid the price. Can he get a second chance?

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
I actually wouldn't mind Yeo.
Even with Torchetti the Wild weren't very good. I believe 2-9 (5 L in a row) going into the playoffs.

Also in 2015 I felt his decisions made the Wild [or at least played a part] in them winning. He out coached Hitch.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011

He expectation is that this is Hitchcock's last season, regardless of results. I suspect a Finals loss might be the only thing that could change that plan.

I'm not sure he will be available though. Armstrong has spoken about him moving upstairs after coaching, and Hitch has talked about this as though it is his last coaching job a few times.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I liked him last year but I think he's regressed.

giphy.gif

Blues said:
What do his teams play like? He speak English?

He don't speak English that much, mostly terrible. He's one of the best coaches in Finland and mostly his system works. I just love his stonewall impressions when team is winning or losing, like Eastwood at Dirty Harry.

I just feed up this thread. :)

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Therr are some stellar assistant coaches out there that are primed to be the bench boss. I still would not have any problems if Mike Kitchen returns. Both Jamie Kompon and Curt Fraser were great assistant coaches while here in STL. there are even some real strong AHL coaches available. Blues are fortunate to have the ability to attract some grade A talent.

WalterSobchak

Blues Trololol
Mar 11, 2004
Where men chunder
www.larddesigns.com
honestly through all of this, I have to believe Muller was brought in to be groomed to be the next head coach.

Re: Boudreau, Strombolopolous and Friedman on HNIC stated that Boudreau's daughter and grand-daughter live in Ottawa, that is his most likely desired destination.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad