Coaching Prospects: Who's available?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Ottawa is the perfect destination for him. He'll get them into the playoffs and make them a bit more relevant, but they still won't get past the 2nd round.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Sometimes it feels like there can only be the 30 coaches who are already in the league, and they just shuffle like musical chairs. I'd like to think there are some sharp young coaching candidates who can do a better job, but it seems like GMs put a very high premium on previous NHL experience.

I felt the same way when the Blues hired Hitchcock. He seemed to be a retread, a guy who had several previous coaching jobs in the NHL. But he immediately turned the Blues around, and has helped keep us a good team for years.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
I felt the same way when the Blues hired Hitchcock. He seemed to be a retread, a guy who had several previous coaching jobs in the NHL. But he immediately turned the Blues around, and has helped keep us a good team for years.

I agree. It was an immediate turnaround. There isn't a person on this board that doesn't take fault with Hitch several times a game for decisions he makes, but he's had a long career as an NHL coach and I think he probably looks at decisions he makes and says "this has always worked 6/10 times for me so I'm going to do it." We don't like it because there is a 40% chance it doesn't work, but he does because there is a 60% chance it does. This year kind of makes me think that the players were probably more to do with the reason why we haven't done well in previous postseasons. That looks like it has been resolved. I think each one of those guys in the locker room actually legitimately believes they have a shot to win the cup. Hitch deserves some credit for what he's done here.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
As much as we're ready for Hitch to move on. I invite others to visit other GDTs, they complain about the exact things we do.

FirstRoundExit

Apr 26, 2015
Glad Boudreau if off the block..he has a history if regular season success/playoff failure. Sound familiar? Lol

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Guy Boucher to Ottawa. Anaheim has been quite. I wonder if they are going internal with someone like Maclean.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Glad Boudreau if off the block..he has a history if regular season success/playoff failure. Sound familiar? Lol

He's never really had a complete team that could actually contend. You could say Washington, but they were built entirely around scoring which tends to lose to hot goaltending.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I agree. It was an immediate turnaround. There isn't a person on this board that doesn't take fault with Hitch several times a game for decisions he makes, but he's had a long career as an NHL coach and I think he probably looks at decisions he makes and says "this has always worked 6/10 times for me so I'm going to do it." We don't like it because there is a 40% chance it doesn't work, but he does because there is a 60% chance it does. This year kind of makes me think that the players were probably more to do with the reason why we haven't done well in previous postseasons. That looks like it has been resolved. I think each one of those guys in the locker room actually legitimately believes they have a shot to win the cup. Hitch deserves some credit for what he's done here.

IF The Blues win The Stanley Cup this season, I would have no problem with Hitch returning for another year. I'm almost 71, and I'm still working.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
He's never really had a complete team that could actually contend. You could say Washington, but they were built entirely around scoring which tends to lose to hot goaltending.

What's his excuse in Anaheim?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Those Anaheim teams have been much worse than the Washington teams. Way too young defense and goalies with no real #1s for either position.

Fair points but both we highly touted. Anderson was awesome for them. Defense was good enough and they had good upfront scoring.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
I hope everyone realizes that Hitch is one win away from retaining his job.

I don't think it is as much as retaining his job as it is that he probably wants to retire. He's been at this a long time. If he bombed out early, it would make the decision easy. Now that they are making a run, he may do the Tony LaRussa thing and go out on a winner.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
So even if we lose this series, does Army still try to bring Hitch back??

I think, so, as there aren't any better candidates out there. I think it all depends upon whether or not Hitchcock wants to return or retire. Based on the fact that this team has gone deep, and has young players who should improve, my guess is that he'll want to return.

Total Bender

Unregistered User
Apr 20, 2014
Stl
I think they'll try and bring him back. Don't know how I feel about it yet. Probably not an upgrade out there. Tarasenko is going to be very upset.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad