Speculation: Coaching Discussion

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
If we fire Q, I don't see a Coach getting a 1 1/2 year deal (or 1 year deal if fired after the Season).
If anything, it would be half a Season to end the Season.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
new head coaches names to ask for opinions and updates.

#1. for me is sheldon keefe tied with Dale Hunter
#2. Brent Sutter
#3. Jim Montgomery (hc of univ of denver) it is just a matter of time
#4. Benoit Groulx (intriguing, keeps popping up)

when Gerard Gallant was fired last yr i posted that he should be hired quickly by the hawks, b/c he wouldn't stayed unemployed for long. i was looking at Gallant replacing Q.

i also kept a list of up and coming coaches who could become a head coach. this is my list.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marotte Marauder

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
His job is supposedly to help mentor the younger guys. Give them a bit more attention of what they're doing right and wrong so Q and the rest of the coaching staff don't have to devote more time into them.

Let's be real here. Do you really think Q and the rest of the coaching staff devote much of their time to any of the players anyways? :laugh:

Q and his coaching staff likely spend more time in the bar daily than on the ice or talking to the players.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Q getting fired mid season is likely a pipe dream. They just gave out his mustaches last month ffs

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
question, why ??

For the same reasons Q needs to go, IMO. And why Darryl Sutter is also a strong NO in my book. The game has passed them by.

Brent Sutter hasn't been involved in an NHL team since like 2012, I believe. He is the GM and coach of a junior team that he owns. No thanks.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
For the same reasons Q needs to go, IMO. And why Darryl Sutter is also a strong NO in my book. The game has passed them by.

Brent Sutter hasn't been involved in an NHL team since like 2012, I believe. He is the GM and coach of a junior team that he owns. No thanks.
at this junction, a short tenure of Darryl can do wonders, can't hurt anywhere near Q and the job he is doing.

Ref your point on Brent, he is still coaching in the juniors and this is the area that the next coach may be coming. in additional Brent is still teaching the prospects that will come into the nhl. this is a feeding ground for the up and coming coaches.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Q getting fired mid season is likely a pipe dream. They just gave out his mustaches last month ffs

Keenan is back on the market.

tenor.gif

blackhawks1229

May 17, 2011
We've had a great run, that we all can be very proud of, but it's time to stop kidding ourselves. 3 cups since 2010, and what should have been a 4th in 2014 (sigh). It's time to move on from competing and see what we currently have. Q's time is done. I haven't agreed with all of what he's done and he has been great for us, but it's time. Promote him upstairs or let him go to a team that's on the bubble. Find a coach that can work with this kids and develop them/see who's worth keeping. This is a great draft and with some luck we can get an impact player. Dump the UFA's for picks, call up Hinostroza, Pokka and Highmore. PLAY KEMPNY!!! Give Debrincat more minutes. Let the kids make mistakes and learn from them. If Kempny makes a mistake he's benched the whole game. Keith and Seabrook get more minutes. We need a coach who will hold the vets accountable yet not crush the young guys. I don't want to see us become the next Detroit. Thoughts?

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Keenan is back on the market.

tenor.gif
i would love to have Iron Mike back, just for finishing this season only. it can teach these new age hockey players what old school hockey is all about.

problem is, Iron Mike does like his pugilistic kind of enforcer/player.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
We've had a great run, that we all can be very proud of, but it's time to stop kidding ourselves. 3 cups since 2010, and what should have been a 4th in 2014 (sigh). It's time to move on from competing and see what we currently have. Q's time is done. I haven't agreed with all of what he's done and he has been great for us, but it's time. Promote him upstairs or let him go to a team that's on the bubble. Find a coach that can work with this kids and develop them/see who's worth keeping. This is a great draft and with some luck we can get an impact player. Dump the UFA's for picks, call up Hinostroza, Pokka and Highmore. PLAY KEMPNY!!! Give Debrincat more minutes. Let the kids make mistakes and learn from them. If Kempny makes a mistake he's benched the whole game. Keith and Seabrook get more minutes. We need a coach who will hold the vets accountable yet not crush the young guys. I don't want to see us become the next Detroit. Thoughts?
no matter what you or any has to say, i believe this is the consensus here.

the org will not do it.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
no matter what you or any has to say, i believe this is the consensus here.

the org will not do it.

I don't think they can do it. Who is going to take on our overpaid veterans and give anything to build on moving forward? Firing Q won't suddenly transform Seabrook into a serviceable defenseman.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
I don't think they can do it. Who is going to take on our overpaid veterans and give anything to build on moving forward? Firing Q won't suddenly transform Seabrook into a serviceable defenseman.
Blues fan coming in peace. You guys have done something that every other team in the league would love to do. What do you think SB will do now?

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
ref the bold, i sure hope it will be soon.

but ref the over-pd players, kane to Buf, Toews to W-jets.

Seabs good luck in that one, only if it is a pkg.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Seabrook +8 ...Keith -11 ...so who is the "serviceable drfenseman"?

A mystery as to how this can be?Clearly Seabrook is a magician ....head scratcher. ..clearly Murphy pairing with him has done wonders as well as sheltered reduced monutes against lesser lines...would be fine as 3rd if he cap hit at $3.5 in such a lesser role ..but at $6.8 needscto be top pair alk star calibre ...no way that us posdible. .Keith at 34 started falling off his cliff this season. .He said he wants to pkay till 45..Not here ..no way...He has gone total Country Club...no compete..no urgency..lost skills. .gonzo...

Last edited:

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Blues fan coming in peace. You guys have done something that every other team in the league would love to do. What do you think SB will do now?
he will need to do is crap or get off the crapper.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
If you are relying solely upon +/- to judge a player's worth, I don't know what to tell you.
for me, it is a quick eye test to start with. stats/numbers do not lie.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
i would love to have Iron Mike back, just for finishing this season only. it can teach these new age hockey players what old school hockey is all about.

problem is, Iron Mike does like his pugilistic kind of enforcer/player.

Old school hockey for the lack of a better term is dead and I don't think it will ever come back.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

blackhawks1229

May 17, 2011
I didn't mean scorched earth rebuild, but we have guys in Rockford that a lot of us have wanted to get ice time on the big club without going into Q's doghouse right away. If Q is gone and our expectations aren't "cup or bust" we can see how good these guys are. I would never advocate trading Kane, Keith, Crow, hell even Toews. It's just time to be smart about where the team is at and how do we get back to the 2010-2015 era as quickly and efficiently as possible. If it takes 2-3 years than so be it.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I didn't mean scorched earth rebuild, but we have guys in Rockford that a lot of us have wanted to get ice time on the big club without going into Q's doghouse right away. If Q is gone and our expectations aren't "cup or bust" we can see how good these guys are. I would never advocate trading Kane, Keith, Crow, hell even Toews. It's just time to be smart about where the team is at and how do we get back to the 2010-2015 era as quickly and efficiently as possible. If it takes 2-3 years than so be it.
scorch earth.... actually i love this phrase.

for starter, i will assure you that starting with Q leaving the team in some form will be a huge start. the question will be who is going to replace him.

then see how the team respond to that move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad