Speculation: Coaching Discussion

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Is there something you know that you’re not completely telling us?

No, not remotely. But it appears two different people are taking my post as saying Bowman will be fired with or before Q and that's not what I said. I have no inside knowledge of anything so if that was interpreted that way my apologies.

I think it's pretty common sense logic that Bowman will outlive Q and will be allowed to hire his own head coach.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
No, not remotely. But it appears two different people are taking my post as saying Bowman will be fired with or before Q and that's not what I said. I have no inside knowledge of anything so if that was interpreted that way my apologies.

I think it's pretty common sense logic that Bowman will outlive Q and will be allowed to hire his own head coach.
My bad. I did read that wrong.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016

words and word meaning. it varies and is different.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Barring something unforeseen, it is highly likely Bowman will be allowed to hire his own coach before he gets an axe.

I've heard something similar to this about Bowman not being totally safe. Thought it was not a possibility and considered it bullshit. But now that you mention it maybe there is something to it. Seems sort of unthinkable though given the track record.

Last edited:

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
WHy can't the Hawks 'declining' players bounce-back under a new coach ala Kopitar, Brown and Gaborik in LAK.

Why cant the Hawks win another cup with Toews and Kane, when Pittsburgh won wit Crosby at age 30 and Malkin at age 31?

Why can't cant Hawks succeed with a 'mediocre' defense core, when Pittsburgh won with Maatta, Dumoulin, injured Schultz, Hainsey, Cole.

Imo do not write this team off unless they get a new Coach and continue to fail
Q has got to GO...,

You are right. You cannot judge anything with this team until a new coach is in place.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Bowman is the main reason this team has made the playoffs the last 2 seasons. Without Panarin and Panik, they would have been bad. Not to mention players he drafted and traded for are key players for the team. The good parts of the team are the depth and young guys. The stars are just playing significantly worse. It’s a damn shame. It would seem the answer is somehow getting a new young star or trading from TKK, somehow moving Seabrook or finding a cheap goalie at least somewhat close to as good as Crawford. Those are all difficult and risky options, both on and off the ice. At this point, you have to let Bowman attempt to dig himself out. He’s already traded core players many times over. I hope against hope we bottom out and get Dahlin. We need that Hawk mojo to show up again badly. That would put us back on the map and give Bowman some breathing room to continue building the future waives of good cheap players we’ll need. Q is a good tank commander too, at least on this team, this year. There’s not a lot holding this thing together. If injuries hit, I believe Bowman will stand down and just watch it unfold rather than rush young guys or make trades.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Bowman is the main reason this team has made the playoffs the last 2 seasons. Without Panarin and Panik, they would have been bad. Not to mention players he drafted and traded for are key players for the team. The good parts of the team are the depth and young guys. The stars are just playing significantly worse. It’s a damn shame. It would seem the answer is somehow getting a new young star or trading from TKK, somehow moving Seabrook or finding a cheap goalie at least somewhat close to as good as Crawford. Those are all difficult and risky options, both on and off the ice. At this point, you have to let Bowman attempt to dig himself out. He’s already traded core players many times over. I hope against hope we bottom out and get Dahlin. We need that Hawk mojo to show up again badly. That would put us back on the map and give Bowman some breathing room to continue building the future waives of good cheap players we’ll need. Q is a good tank commander too, at least on this team, this year. There’s not a lot holding this thing together. If injuries hit, I believe Bowman will stand down and just watch it unfold rather than rush young guys or make trades.

When the f*** did this happen?

Only Hammer was traded and at this point the trade is not looking all the impressive for Hawks

The Hawks had a chance to say goodbye to a core player on decline and our pathetic GM gave him a longterm extension and it may be worst contract in NHL at this point

He cost us Saad once and then cost us Panarin as well as TT because of his horrendous cap management

Also most of his moves and cap management since 2015 Cup have been absolute disasters. So saying he gets credit for Hawks success the last two years over the coach who you know actually coaches is laughable

And Panik didn't have this level of success under previous coaches ,, So Q should get plenty of credit for his production

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
Every GM has their moments of greatness as well as their flops. Overall, Stan has done well until the Seabrook extension. The Hammer move was a good one as he is not doing too well in AZ at the moment. Our drafting has been above average. Some of his moves have been forced with the cap and he has done pretty much as good as he can.

Biggest complaint is bringing in reclamation projects that then get overplayed by Q. This happens year after year......he should have learned long ago.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
When the **** did this happen?

Only Hammer was traded and at this point the trade is not looking all the impressive for Hawks

The Hawks had a chance to say goodbye to a core player on decline and our pathetic GM gave him a longterm extension and it may be worst contract in NHL at this point

He cost us Saad once and then cost us Panarin as well as TT because of his horrendous cap management

Also most of his moves and cap management since 2015 Cup have been absolute disasters. So saying he gets credit for Hawks success the last two years over the coach who you know actually coaches is laughable

And Panik didn't have this level of success under previous coaches ,, So Q should get plenty of credit for his production

What moves since 2015 have been disasters?

We can’t undestimate how much cajones it took to talk Panarin into a cheap extension, immediately trade him thereafter, for the good of a team going nowhere fast, trading a quickly declining Hammer, also Q’s favorite player, getting AA in the Saad trade and signing him to a cheap long term deal (3rd line money), he got Ruuta, Kempny and Raddysh for nothing, among others. He made Q fire Kitchen, he brought in the heir apparent in Colliton, who coaches in the way the NHL is moving toward, he ostensibly traded Shaw for Debrincat. I understand the Ladd move backfired but we were defending the Cup, who knows what happens if we win that game 7. Bowman himself was the reason they won in 2015 (Vermette). It was worth a shot. Better still, last year when they finished 1st in the conference, he knew the team wasn’t worth investing in and kept our 1st. He’s trying everything he can to help this team. The coaching and core have drastically declined and guess what, now we are mediocre. Thank God for the blessings we do have in the young talent coming forth or this team would have no future. This can be fixed, like I said, it might take a top 5 pick who comes in and is an immediate star plus a really goid new coach but that’s where we at. Nobody had any control over how Q would coach or more importantly, how the core would produce. Seabrook was an unmitigated disaster. Nobody can defend that. I’d just hate to fire him over that when he’s been so good in all of tbe other areas lately. He clearly has a plan. It involves getting rid of Q and building a new young team. Someone else might come in and do something needlessly risky and drastic like attaching Seabrook to Kane or just outright moving Kane and/or Keith. At that point,we’re not even the Hawks anymore. We don’t need some hot shot coming in blowing everything up to pit his stamp on the team.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
What moves since 2015 have been disasters?

We can’t undestimate how much cajones it took to talk Panarin into a cheap extension, immediately trade him thereafter, for the good of a team going nowhere fast, trading a quickly declining Hammer, also Q’s favorite player, getting AA in the Saad trade and signing him to a cheap long term deal (3rd line money), he got Ruuta, Kempny and Raddysh for nothing, among others. He made Q fire Kitchen, he brought in the heir apparent in Colliton, who coaches in the way the NHL is moving toward, he ostensibly traded Shaw for Debrincat. I understand the Ladd move backfired but we were defending the Cup, who knows what happens if we win that game 7. Bowman himself was the reason they won in 2015 (Vermette). It was worth a shot. Better still, last year when they finished 1st in the conference, he knew the team wasn’t worth investing in and kept our 1st. He’s trying everything he can to help this team. The coaching and core have drastically declined and guess what, now we are mediocre. Thank God for the blessings we do have in the young talent coming forth or this team would have no future. This can be fixed, like I said, it might take a top 5 pick who comes in and is an immediate star plus a really goid new coach but that’s where we at. Nobody had any control over how Q would coach or more importantly, how the core would produce. Seabrook was an unmitigated disaster. Nobody can defend that. I’d just hate to fire him over that when he’s been so good in all of tbe other areas lately. He clearly has a plan. It involves getting rid of Q and building a new young team. Someone else might come in and do something needlessly risky and drastic like attaching Seabrook to Kane or just outright moving Kane and/or Keith. At that point,we’re not even the Hawks anymore. We don’t need some hot shot coming in blowing everything up to pit his stamp on the team.

no matter how many atta boy SB does, it is his screw ups that many will remember.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
no matter how many atta boy SB does, it is his screw ups that many will remember.

That’s life. Everyone has screw ups. If the good greatly outweighs the bad, you have to cut people some slack. The new guy would have screw ups too. I’d rather have someone who learned from the screw ups and has that experience than someone who doesn’t know shit about anything and has to start from scratch.

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014

No. Not that many. Stan is viewed as among the elite of his profession and has done a very, very good job. That the Hawks have so long been competitive 2010 - 2015 in the Cap era and not collapse (till perhaps now) is testimony of a very good job by Stan. Some moves did not work. Most did. So... most people recognize Stan as an elite GM. An then there are those who love to affix blame where no blame is needed....

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
That’s life. Everyone has screw ups. If the good greatly outweighs the bad, you have to cut people some slack. The new guy would have screw ups too. I’d rather have someone who learned from the screw ups and has that experience than someone who doesn’t know **** about anything and has to start from scratch.
their are some bad screw up that can't be forgiven nor overlook. bickell trade, Seabs contract are 2 major screw up that put the team behind the 8-ball and is affecting the future and maneuverability of the team.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
No. Not that many. Stan is viewed as among the elite of his profession and has done a very, very good job. That the Hawks have so long been competitive 2010 - 2015 in the Cap era and not collapse (till perhaps now) is testimony of a very good job by Stan. Some moves did not work. Most did. So... most people recognize Stan as an elite GM. An then there are those who love to affix blame where no blame is needed....
a major portion of that success from 2010-2015 needs to be shared with Dale Tallon b/c of his key draft picks and fa signings.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
The Bickell trade has been mentioned. Root Cause of that trade was overpaying Bickell at the time.....before his illness was even an issue. Stan was on a Cup high giving millions away there.

Reactions: LDF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->