Value of: Claude Giroux

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If that's the cost, they absolutely would.

No deal if Galchenyuk is involved. Flyers would need to add and they won't like what we ask for on top of Giroux. Patch for Giroux ($2M) retained is a solid offer. If the Flyers retain $2M for the last 5 years, I'd even be willing to trade Hudon as well.

Patch & Hudon for Giroux ($2M retained). Flyers create cap space and acquire a great 30+ goal scorer on a great contract. The issue is re signing him but you rid yourselves of a bad contract. Habs are happy with a 60 pts center from age 29-34.

Accelleratii

Jul 25, 2010
Pennsylvania
Giroux was incredibly productive when flanked by larger wingers. Remember how dominant the line of Jagr Giroux and Hartnell was? A team with that kind of size up front could find themselves with a rejuvenated player, potentially achieving point per game production once again. The Flyers are the smallest team in the league. I don't think slipping production from their undersized centerman is a coincidence.

But that contract....

You have to figure a team who is SO close to the cup would be willing to add a 1B center with 1A potential. What would it take? Hextall loves his first round picks. Absolutely adores them. I would say a 1st and a top 6 player with lower cap and term cooking back.

But that contract!

A one for one swap might also be required because of Giroux's bloated hit and term. Either way,the return will be less than what it should be because of that contract and the only teams willing to take a chance would be the desperate ones, whose window might be nearing an end.

Makaveli XI

Aug 23, 2015
Pacioretty?

No thanks.

What is your reasoning? I figuered some people would be interested in this.
Pacioretty at nearly half of Giroux's salary. Although, Patch deserves a big increase at the end of this contract. Pacioretty is an elite goal scorer, that's without playing with a number 1/2 Center.
Philly should still be in good shape at Center if they made this deal....

Pacioretty Patrick Simmonds
Konecny Couturier Voracek

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Not a chance. Giroux is 6 years older and has been on a downhill course for the last 5 years, on a horrible contract with term.

And MTL desperately needs a center because they have an aging core with a bare cupboard. It's either make a splash, willfully rebuild or slowly fade into a rebuild at this point.

Makaveli XI

Aug 23, 2015
It is sort of funny that the Flyers 4th best C was a target on Montreal at the deadline and would likely be on Montreal's top line.

I wonder if Filppula would reconsider going to MTL?

Who was the 4th best Center? I didn't get a chance to watch much of Philly because they didn't make the playoffs...kind of funny with that all star roster.

TheWolfOfBroadStreet

Apr 7, 2014
Dallas, TX
What is your reasoning? I figuered some people would be interested in this.
Pacioretty at nearly half of Giroux's salary. Although, Patch deserves a big increase at the end of this contract. Pacioretty is an elite goal scorer, that's without playing with a number 1/2 Center.
Philly should still be in good shape at Center if they made this deal....

Pacioretty Patrick Simmonds
Konecny Couturier Voracek

I dont think it is smart to pencil in Patrick as the 1c. Philly finally has the ability to roll 4 lines with capable centers, it makes 0 sense to trade anyone right now. Our young guys behind Patrick are not ready yet either (Rubstov, Vrobyov, Frost, Laberge)

Hammer, I am pretty confident in saying Lindblom will be the LW on Giroux's line.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Claude will be back up to 70 pts next year, at least. And in Philly, too.

60-70 is a realistic expectation.

And I have no issue saying he is overpaid. Because he was paid 3.75 million while having 2 top 3 finishes in points and 2 top 4 finishes in Hart voting, he was underpaid. This contract was fair based in what he had done, his underpayment, and where his production was when he signed it.

hockeyheadlines

Oct 9, 2016
Canada
And MTL desperately needs a center because they have an aging core with a bare cupboard. It's either make a splash, willfully rebuild or slowly fade into a rebuild at this point.

We're not looking to make a splash. Giroux is not a realistic target for us. He's overpaid, under performing and the ask is nonsensical.

Let's move on shall we?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Who was the 4th best Center? I didn't get a chance to watch much of Philly because they didn't make the playoffs...kind of funny with that all star roster.

Filppula is likely the 4th C on the Flyers this coming season....but was a target in a Montreal at the deadline. Philly will likely move him to wing for this season, but in Montreal, he would likely be on the 1st line.

I was just saying, I wonder if he would re-consider MTL because he told them no at the deadline. Not sure why?

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013

Tripod meant 4th best center now, behind Giroux, Couturier and Patrick. Montreal tried to acquire Filppula last TDL.

Makaveli XI

Aug 23, 2015
Tripod meant 4th best center now, behind Giroux, Couturier and Patrick. Montreal tried to acquire Filppula last TDL.

That was an attempt to plug a hole last minute. Habs have great depth on the wing and would likely trade Galchenyuk or Pacioretty for a real number 1/2 Center.

TheWolfOfBroadStreet

Apr 7, 2014
Dallas, TX
Older, less productive players usually turn it arpund in their 30s. Everyone knows this. Duh.

Heres a question for you. We trade Andy MacDonald to another team for whatever, do we trade Giroux for Andy MacDonald back to offset there negative trade values?

Edit: Makaveli, I think he would still be your #1/#2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad