Value of: Claude Giroux

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
Giroux had a terrible season last year. No way around it but he was coming off a hip surgery. This season is a big season for him. But 14 goals and 58 points is not the production that is expected of him. Hopefully, he comes back healthy and gets back to the ~80 point scorer that he was a few years ago. if he has another down year this year especially if he ends up hurt again then Giroux's value is below his contract....no way around it.

TheWolfOfBroadStreet

Apr 7, 2014
Dallas, TX
Giroux had a terrible season last year. No way around it but he was coming off a hip surgery. This season is a big season for him. But 14 goals and 58 points is not the production that is expected of him. Hopefully, he comes back healthy and gets back to the ~80 point scorer that he was a few years ago. if he has another down year this year especially if he ends up hurt again then Giroux's value is below his contract....no way around it.

Exactly, it appears the team around him has improved this season so if the result is the same or worse than we absolutely can discuss how bad of a contract it is.

Being an optimist, I believe he will perform much better this season.

Reactions: Adrianopolous

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I am not sure if there are stats that back this up but from watching him there a few reasons I believe his production has decreased:

1. Lack of a sniper: one of the biggest issues I have is that hes been paired with a pass first mentality in Voracek, or Simmonds who is a net front presence (I am only saying he is not the best fit with Giroux other than the PP). The rest of his linemates *(specifically LW) over the years have consistently changed and there has not been a LW who has contributed much.

2. lack of Centers: When coots was injured, we saw Giroux take a more defensive role, factor in that there was a lack of competent centers behind Coots and you can see why his 5v5 numbers have declined. Other teams could key in on Giroux, and not have to worry about other centers making an impact.

3. Injuries: he has had more than a few over the years and has played with some as well.

We finally have some depth at C, I expect Giroux to bounce back. He will never be a great 5v5 player, but I think its pretty obvious how important he has been to the PP over the years. 0 reason to trade him after a down year, if he does not bounce back and has another down year even with improved C depth around him and Oscar Lindblom who appears to be slated for the LW spot on Girouxs line, then we re-evaluate this in a year.

Edit: chethejet, that is a horrible take.

ppg for the last 5 years:

That's a very steady, prolonged, steep decline.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
ppg for the last 5 years:

That's a very steady, prolonged, steep decline.

Doubt anyone will deny the decline. The degree of which, and the ability to bounce back from it when he has an actual supporting cast/ is healthy is whats in question.

Flyers havent had an offensive 2C in quite some time. Couturier does well, but hes used for elite talent matchups, not to create offense. To game plan against the Flyers, all you had to do was shut down Giroux's line. Game over.

I dont ever expect him to go back to 90 or even 80 point production. But if they can put a decent team around him, and he comes in to camp healthy, 70+ doesnt seem unreasonable.

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
Exactly, it appears the team around him has improved this season so if the result is the same or worse than we absolutely can discuss how bad of a contract it is.

Being an optimist, I believe he will perform much better this season.

The team around him has gotten a lot younger but not necessarily improved...yet. If Patrick, Lindbolm, Haag and Morin etc all make the team. That's 4 rookies in the lineup...that's a lot for an NHL team. Now, I think these kids all have a shot at being top notch NHL players but there is a learning curve. To expect them to shine right away is too much too ask IMHO. And Lehtera is not an upgrade at all and Filpulla faded at the end of the year last year too. Giroux should really be judged by his physical showing and skating jump not just on his stats next year. I anticipate possibly a slow start but a great 2nd half as the kids get acclimated.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
The team around him has gotten a lot younger but not necessarily improved...yet. If Patrick, Lindbolm, Haag and Morin etc all make the team. That's 4 rookies in the lineup...that's a lot for an NHL team. Now, I think these kids all have a shot at being top notch NHL players but there is a learning curve. To expect them to shine right away is too much too ask IMHO. And Lehtera is not an upgrade at all and Filpulla faded at the end of the year last year too. Giroux should really be judged by his physical showing and skating jump not just on his stats next year. I anticipate possibly a slow start but a great 2nd half as the kids get acclimated.

It depends on what the plan of attack is. It'd be nice if we didnt have to lug AMac around as a top 4 and instead had a defender like Sanheim who could transition the puck. The overall team on the Flyers has been bad, and most peoples numbers have suffered, not just Giroux.

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
Doubt anyone will deny the decline. The degree of which, and the ability to bounce back from it when he has an actual supporting cast/ is healthy is whats in question.

Flyers havent had an offensive 2C in quite some time. Couturier does well, but hes used for elite talent matchups, not to create offense. To game plan against the Flyers, all you had to do was shut down Giroux's line. Game over.

I dont ever expect him to go back to 90 or even 80 point production. But if they can put a decent team around him, and he comes in to camp healthy, 70+ doesnt seem unreasonable.

The Flyers also need #93 to step up and be an all star winger again. His last two seasons have not been stellar. He really should be an elite winger. If he gets going than it will help Giroux a lot. Voracek should actually carry the Flyers offense for small stretches..... A 3rd disappointing year in a row from him would suck.

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
It depends on what the plan of attack is. It'd be nice if we didnt have to lug AMac around as a top 4 and instead had a defender like Sanheim who could transition the puck. The overall team on the Flyers has been bad, and most peoples numbers have suffered, not just Giroux.

AMac is not good... I will give you that. But Giroux declining numbers have mostly to due with his health over these last few seasons. Giroux could not skate as he did in the past last year. He lost his jump due to the hip surgery. I think that's why his 5on5 play suffered. I like Sanheim but that's a lot to expect from a rookie d-man.....

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Probably wouldn't make sense for Montreal to go after Giroux. He'd cost more than fans believe and Montreal lacks depth and assets to make up for a major trade.

Might consider Giroux for Galchenyuk + Danault + 2018 1st

I'm more into trading for Galchenyuk + 2nd for two 2018 1sts. Montreal could flip those picks to acquire Duchene

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
AMac is not good... I will give you that. But Giroux declining numbers have mostly to due with his health over these last few seasons. Giroux could not skate as he did in the past last year. He lost his jump due to the hip surgery. I think that's why his 5on5 play suffered. I like Sanheim but that's a lot to expect from a rookie d-man.....

Agreed his health is playing a part, but the other part is that they had no one to transition the puck if Ghost wasn't on the ice. Provorov was too busy lugging AMac around to do it effectively.

Like I said, Giroux needs to step up, no doubt. But he needs everyone around him to do the same, and they need to play a game that isnt restrictive offensively, as well.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Edit horrible take. Really? He is not close to the player he was in 2012. Even you admit he is not the 5 on 5 player he once was. He is being paid as an elite player and he isn't close to that. Take the blinders off and see it for what it is. Not playing with talent is not a consideration. He simply is not the player with upside that Bobby Ryan is. Or Taveras for example. The Flyers bet on him being the best player in hockey for the next 5 years. That didn't work and now paying that cap hit for a declining asset is what is left. What GM not in a mental home is going to trade for that.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Edit horrible take. Really? He is not close to the player he was in 2012. Even you admit he is not the 5 on 5 player he once was. He is being paid as an elite player and he isn't close to that. Take the blinders off and see it for what it is. Not playing with talent is not a consideration. He simply is not the player with upside that Bobby Ryan is. Or Taveras for example. The Flyers bet on him being the best player in hockey for the next 5 years. That didn't work and now paying that cap hit for a declining asset is what is left. What GM not in a mental home is going to trade for that.

u wot m8?

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA

giphy.gif

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
His production has declined steadily since '12, from 1.21 ppg to 0.71 ppg. Don't know what's wrong with him but it isn't just 1 or even 2 bad seasons. He isn't worth his contract anymore.

His production has dropped since Hartnell was traded and is complicated by two big surgeries to his wrist and hips. Everything looks good now and he will have at least 1, probably 2 options at top line LW next year. He's going to go up in production. Probably pretty high. People on Hf love to say a player is done and then they have a good year again like Joe Thornton and Getzlaf, soon to be Perry.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA

I agree with this. He has explanations for his drop, but at some point it is what it is.

TheWolfOfBroadStreet

Apr 7, 2014
Dallas, TX

Your 100% correct, I apologize and I think youve convinced me that he has negative trade value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad