Claude Giroux II: Robin's Revenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
That's what we saw, yeah. He needs to improve 5on5 (as does the team). If he underwhelms this year he's going to get scorched by the fans.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Doesn't help thst he doesn't have any consistent 5v5 goalscoring threats to play with. Playmakers need someone to set up, and he has nobody.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Doesn't help thst he doesn't have any consistent 5v5 goalscoring threats to play with. Playmakers need someone to set up, and he has nobody.

Tangent: I was going to type a response, went to http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/ to check something, and it's down for good, along with its sister site, https://puckalytics.com. What do I do. Corsica can't get back online soon enough.

Anyway, response. That might explain why his scoring was 2C and not 1C level (though it was a complicated issue this year), but he put up points at worse rates than VandeVelde and Weise and most of the team. Is that really because he didn't have a sniping winger.....did they? He spent plenty of time with Simmonds, our best 5v5 goal scorer. Schenn is our 2nd best goal scorer on the team, though yes he did putrid in that regard 5v5. But you could just as easily say that there were no goal scorers on his line because he wasn't doing enough to create for them either. Two-way street. He's never really played with a true goal scoring machine anyway, besides 1 fluke year from Hartnell. It's not that his line didn't just not finish goals.......it didn't do much of anything, and he bears a ton of responsibility for that. Couturier put up numbers with the same interchangeable linemates.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Tangent: I was going to type a response, went to http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/ to check something, and it's down for good, along with its sister site, https://puckalytics.com. What do I do. Corsica can't get back online soon enough.

Anyway, response. That might explain why his scoring was 2C and not 1C level, but he put up points at worse rates than VandeVelde and Weise and most of the team. Is that really because he didn't have a sniping winger.....did they? Complicated issue, I know, but he spent plenty of time with Simmonds, our best 5v5 goal scorer. Schenn is our 2nd best goal scorer on the team, though yes he did putrid in that regard 5v5. But you could just as easily say that there were no goal scorers on his line because he wasn't doing enough to create for them either. He's never really played with a true goal scoring machine anyway, besides 1 fluke year from Hartnell.

Sure, that's why I said "doesn't help", instead of acting like it's the sole reason. I fully believe it's a contributing factor to recent struggles, but of course it isn't like Giroux is playing amazing and the only problem is a lack of shooters. Just a piece of the puzzle.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I absolutely cannot believe David Johnson got an NHL job. The man is a lunatic who can't handle constructive criticism but refused to ever show his work. Of course, it's Calgary, so yeah.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
BSH went to town with G.

Think that article is right on target. G may bounce back a little this year, but 5x5 he'll be a 3rd line center in two years.

This is where Flyers got really lucky, because by next year Patrick should be our #1 center, Couts will get the tough defensive matchups, and the 4th line could have something like Laughton/AK - Rubtsov/Vorobyev - Weise/Raffl raising havoc.

So G's 5x5 minutes will be reduced by 2-3 minutes per game and he'll primarily be the PP captain. Grossly overpaid but still effective for years to come.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Is he new Vinny?

He's still a pretty good PP QB. He does drive possession in a postive way at ES. His 5v5 scoring absolutely stunk last year & has been declining though. He has become too much of a perimeter player as well. So he does deserve criticism but not to that extent as Vinny had nothing redeeming about him.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Anyway, response. That might explain why his scoring was 2C and not 1C level (though it was a complicated issue this year), but he put up points at worse rates than VandeVelde and Weise and most of the team. Is that really because he didn't have a sniping winger.....did they? He spent plenty of time with Simmonds, our best 5v5 goal scorer. Schenn is our 2nd best goal scorer on the team, though yes he did putrid in that regard 5v5. But you could just as easily say that there were no goal scorers on his line because he wasn't doing enough to create for them either. Two-way street. He's never really played with a true goal scoring machine anyway, besides 1 fluke year from Hartnell. It's not that his line didn't just not finish goals.......it didn't do much of anything, and he bears a ton of responsibility for that. Couturier put up numbers with the same interchangeable linemates.

Sucks to see that site go.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
What do I do. Corsica can't get back online soon enough.

I've been using FirstLineStats while we all wait for Corsica to get back up and running. I hope Manny opens a Patreon again. It's absolutely worth it to me. I already support some others like HockeyViz that I don't use nearly as much.

Last edited:

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
He's still a pretty good PP QB. He does drive possession in a postive way at ES. His 5v5 scoring absolutely stunk last year & has been declining though. He has become too much of a perimeter player as well. So he does deserve criticism but not to that extent as Vinny had nothing redeeming about him.

I do winder if that is a coaching issue though. He hasn't always been like that

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Could be, could be injuries as well. I'm not even talking big hits or anything. He just sticks to the outside more now. He doesn't really get closer to the net anymore & that's pretty much a no go in today's game.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I loved G when he first got on the team because he played with lots of passion and his compete was off the charts. It's not about points as much as compete and passion and he is along way off of what he used to be. let's hope he bounces back.

That's the starkest difference, for sure. Giroux when he was younger competed like crazy. Drew some Doug Gilmour comparisons. Was strong in the corners, never shied from contact, despite his size.

He's a totally different player now. I assume his body is just maimed from the way he used to play. But at ES he is going downhill like Richards.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Weal had no problem going to the net, and he's the same size as G.
I think G has gotten beaten up over the years and is contact shy.
Which is why he's far more effective on the PP where he has space and doesn't go near the net but sets up other players.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Weal had no problem going to the net, and he's the same size as G.
I think G has gotten beaten up over the years and is contact shy.
Which is why he's far more effective on the PP where he has space and doesn't go near the net but sets up other players.

Giroux is insanely strong on pucks for his size. He's very hard to take it away from. To me it's mental, not physical.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Giroux is insanely strong on pucks for his size. He's very hard to take it away from. To me it's mental, not physical.

He's had a ton of wear and tear over the years from the way he used to play. Multiple wrist surgeries. Multiple concussions and head/neck injuries. Hip/abdominal surgery. Countless slashes and bruises and playoff battles.

Meanwhile, the league has gotten younger and faster. It might look mental, but I just don't think he can keep up anymore.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
He's had a ton of wear and tear over the years from the way he used to play. Multiple wrist surgeries. Multiple concussions and head/neck injuries. Hip/abdominal surgery. Countless slashes and bruises and playoff battles.

Meanwhile, the league has gotten younger and faster. It might look mental, but I just don't think he can keep up anymore.

I disagree. There's flashes where you see the old Giroux. He shows that he still has it in him, he just has to play like he used to.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I disagree. There's flashes where you see the old Giroux. He shows that he still has it in him, he just has to play like he used to.

That's part of being broken down. Your body just isn't capable of cranking it up to the highest levels nearly as often or for any extended length without faltering again. This is a story as old as the sport itself. And to draw an analogy to a different sport, it's a lot more common for a pitcher's arm to wear out over years of fastballs than it is for a pitcher to suddenly develop a mental block like Rick Ankiel or Steve Blass.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
If he has another season with 50-60 points where his 5x5 declines again, it's time to worry.

I feel like it's a huge season for Giroux, rumors out there earlier in the summer that the Flyers weren't offering him but when teams called they didn't say they wouldn't listen.

Again I believe Montreal would over pay for him to come and be their #1 center. Somebody mentioned Ottawa as well but I don't see them paying him the amount of money he is owed.

Also he has a lot of say but when a team says they are looking to move you most cases the player will waive the NMC. Who wants to be on a team looking to move you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad