Claude Giroux II: Robin's Revenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I thought they should've signed SDM, but putting that list together shows why they didn't. I didn't know they would trade up to grab two extra first round-quality players in Frost and Ratcliffe, but they still have 7 guys who aren't locks to get ELCs whose rights expire in the next two years.

Marody*(22)
Kase*(22)
Warren*(22)
Twarynski*(21)
Salinitri*(21)
Strome*(20)
Sushko*(20)

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
My lineup:

Lindblom - Patrick - Konecny
Laczynski (R) - Couturier - Voracek
Rubtsov (R) - Vorobyev - Giroux
Laughton - Vecchione - Allison (R)

(R) = Rookie. The previous season likely mostly spent in the AHL.

Obviously this depends greatly on Vorobyev having a good rookie season on the 4th line. Giroux can take faceoffs for him when needed. That line would likely be slightly sheltered anyway.

It Vorobyev hits, that would be an exciting 3rd line.

I do worry we are underestimating how easy it will be for Vorobyev to be an impact NHL center, though. It reminds me a bit of three years ago when there was a lot of talk of Laughton moving ahead of Couturier in the lineup.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
With the usage/TOI Couturier should get over the next 5 years, I see Giroux's role being directly related to how Patrick progresses. If Patrick is producing as a #1 center in 19-20, Giroux's impact could be greatest on his wing. If Patrick doesn't turn into a 60-80 point center in the next 3-5 years, Giroux will be counted on to be the number 1 center offensively.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
You know you're nitpicking when you complain about the 12th and 13th highest salaries for a 1C and 1RW. Neither contract is a problem. We do not have cap problems currently.

Add to that the fact that they have been the top two point producers on the Flyers consistently for the past few Seasons... now, if they were not producing nor providing other important talents, then that would be concerning.

Until and if the Cap gets tight again, it isn't a problem as I see it.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
The bloated contracts of Giroux and Voracek are becoming a issue...
The duo are 12th and 13th highest cap hit for salaries for the 2017-18 season and their stats don't match up to that 'elite' group...
Having one of those salaries is problematic but two...is nearly insurmountable!
And those guys are signed for another 5(G) and Voracek for the the next 7:shakehead
Hockey is a business and you have to do what makes sense for your organization,so Hexy has to step up...Loyalty has a price and Giroux needs to waive his NTC!
Simple solution...NO! But get it done.
*Giroux + a top prospect defenseman(Montreal)
*Galchenyuk + 1st pick(Philadelphia)

Go back to fb if you're gonna post **** like that :laugh: come on bro, thats a terrible deal, why would we give giroux and a high end prospect just for chucky (who is nowhere near giroux) and a late 1st? Thats just crazy

Philly Fanatik

"They're going home!"
Jun 24, 2017
Clarenville,NL,Canada
Add to that the fact that they have been the top two point producers on the Flyers consistently for the past few Seasons... now, if they were not producing nor providing other important talents, then that would be concerning.

Until and if the Cap gets tight again, it isn't a problem as I see it.
...The Flyers haven't be in the second round of the playoffs since 2012 and since that year...3 years they never even made the post season!
With all the talk of the weak goalie situation,the Flyers are 25th in goals for the last four seasons,so the offense has been underachieving miserably...
So for the next five years,16.5 million cap space for G and Voracek for paltry numbers!

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
...The Flyers haven't be in the second round of the playoffs since 2012 and since that year...3 years they never even made the post season!
With all the talk of the weak goalie situation,the Flyers are 25th in goals for the last four seasons,so the offense has been underachieving miserably...
So for the next five years,16.5 million cap space for G and Voracek for paltry numbers!

And you think the best way to add more scoring is to subtract the two best scorers?

giphy.gif

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Ohhhhhhhhhhh, I get it.

Hextall needs to trade our two best scorers because they're getting older and expensive, then make a few other quick trades to add younger, faster, higher scorers, who make less money.

Why hasn't he thought of this yet?!?! Should be pretty easy. Those kind of young guys grow on trees, after all. Teams have so many that they're practically giving them away. Shouldn't cost us too much and we'll be able to keep all of our top prospects.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
What were their plus/minus numbers from last season?

This post right here shows why you need to delete your account from here, go back to Facebook or another site, because you do not know hockey, im not flamming you by any means, but if you think +/- is a good evaluating stat then you thought wrong

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

The two players are getting older,slower and cost more!
Simple!

...With a younger and cheaper core set!
Hexy can trade for more pieces to fit in with our already great prospects field!

What were their plus/minus numbers from last season?

You're not doing yourself any favors with posts like these.

:help:

Philly Fanatik

"They're going home!"
Jun 24, 2017
Clarenville,NL,Canada
This post right here shows why you need to delete your account from here, go back to Facebook or another site, because you do not know hockey, im not flamming you by any means, but if you think +/- is a good evaluating stat then you thought wrong
....Out of the top 50 players all time plus/minus leaders only...
Mark Howe
Jim Schoenfeld
Bill Hajt
Mike Ramsey
Brad Park
Craig Ramsey
Brian Propp
Jean Ratelle never WON a Stanley Cup!....and these players aren't chopped liver!
Great players play on great teams...yes!
OV had one of the worst +/- numbers in the 2013-14 season however he won the Maurice Rocket Trophy!(Could have been bad players,bad luck or bad systems)
Bottom line is winning...and we're not getting it done with Giroux!
Seems to me I'm not the only guy who see it this way!
Sorry if my opinion doesn't coexist with yours!
Your plan,sir?

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
You're supposed to hit the space bar after a sentence. Not the enter key. That way it reads as an unreadable paragraph and not an unreadable poem ;)

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Almost as if +/- is a team based stat... so the players with crazy impressive +/-'s were on great teams and great teams win cups.

Using to discuss individual players is foolish.

Typical of ignorant fans to automatically blame the captain though. It's the lazy excuse for those who don't want to use their heads to actually think.

Philly Fanatik

"They're going home!"
Jun 24, 2017
Clarenville,NL,Canada
Almost as if +/- is a team based stat... so the players with crazy impressive +/-'s were on great teams and great teams win cups.

Using to discuss individual players is foolish.

Typical of ignorant fans to automatically blame the captain though. It's the lazy excuse for those who don't want to use their heads to actually think.
...My favorite hockey player ever was Darryl Sittler!
Never won a Cup,scored the winner in the 1976 Canada Cup though,in the Hall of Fame,scored ten points in a game ,five goals in a playoff game against our Flyers...heart and soul and CAPTAIN of the Leafs for years but by his own words...No Stanley Cup! Just saying!:phew:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Fun fact, as the cap goes up G and V are actually getting cheaper.

Exactly.

In 2014-2015, the first year of Giroux's current contract, the cap was at $69m.

Which means that Giroux's cap hit was 12% of the teams total cap space.

In 2017-2018, the cap will be $75m.

Which means that Giroux's cap hit will be 11% of the teams total cap space.

It doesn't appear to be a huge difference when you look at it like that, but 11% of 2014-2015's cap ceiling is $7,590,000.

The difference between $8,275,000 and $7,590,000 isn't insignificant in the salary cap world.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Giroux is untradeable, we can afford him, and he has a role where he can be productive as he ages (PP captain). He won't be worth his contract, but he won't be MacDonald or Vinnie, either.

Hextall traded Schenn, I can see him trading Voracek if some kids emerge and Voracek doesn't bounce back, even taking on a couple million of salary to sweeten the deal. Voracek wasn't injured, just brain dead last year. Put him with Couts, see if he can't turn it around, then think about trades next summer. Voracek has the physical skills to excel, but wasn't defensively responsible and really needs to be shooting wrist shots for a couple hours a day until he at least can become average.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He doesnt have negative value, he could absolutely be traded if Hextall wanted to move him.

He's on the team because there's no reason to move him, not because nobody wants him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad