Cincinnati, Kansas City, and Omaha have shown interest in NHL expansion

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
The reason why QC keeps getting "snubbed" (see this sentiment everywhere when expansion comes up) is because the NHL wants to expand into more American markets specifically.

It's pretty obvious Bettman feels he has some catching up to do compared to the other major pro leagues in NA in terms of number of American markets they reach. This talking point has also been parroted numerous times by league insiders.

NFL: 32 American teams
NBA: 29 American teams
MLB: also 29
NHL: 25 American teams
I think the atrocious exchange rate (75 cents to 1 dollar, USD being on the strong end) today has more to do with it. Winnipeg is already griping about money and they're around the same size city I believe. It's like the 90s all over again

Reactions: edog37

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
A 40 team NHL. within the next 10-20 years stands a good chance of happening as with every major sports league over the next 20 years as well but the cities that are listed few of them will never happen & here is a list of them & why .

Atlanta - Failed twice to risky & the NHL. won't go for it for a third
Salt Lake City - Getting MLB expansion team no room for NHL. team
Omaha - To small of market for a major sports team
San Diego - Enough teams in California with 3 no need for 4th
Cincinnati - New arena most likely for an NBA. team not an NHL. team
Do you like to hear yourself talk and not bother actually reading?

The reason why QC keeps getting "snubbed" (see this sentiment everywhere when expansion comes up) is because the NHL wants to expand into more American markets specifically.
...Or NHL doesn't believe in QC has a market?

Reactions: MMC

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Does Quebec City have a party willing to pay the NHL’s asking price for an expansion team? Last I remember, they expressed interest during the Vegas process, but then when the half a billion dollar fee got revealed, Quebecor suddenly got a lot less vocal. We can talk about how NHL-ready they are or if the NHL wants them or not until we’re blue in the face, but ultimately the first and foremost issue is if someone’s willing to drop likely three quarters of a billion now, if not more.

Last edited:

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Does Quebec City have a party willing to pay the NHL’s asking price for an expansion team? Last I remember, they expressed interest during the Vegas process, but then when the half a billion dollar fee got revealed, Quebecor suddenly got a lot less vocal. We can talk about how NHL-ready until they are or if the NHL wants them or not until we’re blue in the face, but ultimately the first and foremost issue is if someone’s willing to drop likely three quarters of a billion now, if not more.
Anyone who ignores this point and just repeat same garbage about QC should be banned.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
I agree, ban Bettman!!
Ban him?

I'd have him taken out and shot, but I suppose I'm not allowed to say that in here.

I once spent barely 3 minutes talking to him, listening mostly, and he lied to my face so often I could barely control myself. And you know what they call a lawyer out of control? Yep, unemployed.

Last edited:

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
Kansas for some reason does not embrace hockey . On the other hand Oklahoma and especially Texas do. And that could have been a major rivalry right from the start with Dallas if OKC had been awarded the franchise back in the 1990s.

Last edited:

hammer42

Feb 5, 2023
I have to disagree with these 2. If someone has the money I can see Bettman giving Atlanta another chance. Although I think it's foolish.

What bearing does SLC getting an MLB team have on getting an NHL team? They play in 2 completely different seasons and arenas. I bet SLC gets a team in the next 10 years.

And a 40 team league just ensures I'm tuning out. The schedule is already watered down with teams I don't care about now. Goodbye rivalries forever if this happens. Hello watered down boring hockey
First you are aware that the Jets play in a 15.000 seat arena second the Jets have the richest owner in the league in David Thompson & third NHL . overall or just Hockey in general is just not that popular in the United States for Pete sakes it is now the number 5 most poplar sport behind MLS soccer.

Reactions: Jedub

Reaser

May 19, 2021
Hockey in general is just not that popular in the United States for Pete sakes it is now the number 5 most poplar sport behind MLS soccer.

You're confusing and conflating "Big 4" LEAGUES with sports.

MLS is in no way more popular than the NHL in the U.S. and it's not particularly even close.

The sport of "soccer" is more popular than hockey and has been. That's a different thing from leagues. MLS isn't even the most popular soccer league in the U.S.

Last edited:

hammer42

Feb 5, 2023
The Hockey world will be also focused on Hamilton because of a $300 million dollar renovation is going to begin in may at the end of Lacrosse season is over & will be finished in October 2025 .

The renovations will be kind like what they did Seattle with Climate Change arena a complete gut job pretty much new arena over the old one & I don't think the Mercanti family who is flipping the $300 million dollar bill price tag is doing this for just a junior or semi pro hockey team this is for an NHL. team & other A++ events .

Jedub

Registered Lurker
Nov 21, 2013
Winnipeg

It's pretty obvious Bettman feels he has some catching up to do compared to the other major pro leagues in NA in terms of number of American markets they reach. This talking point has also been parroted numerous times by league insiders.

NFL: 32 American teams
NBA: 29 American teams
MLB: also 29
NHL: 25 American teams
Yes, I'm pretty sure QC WILL get a team, but they'll have to wait for a few rounds of expansion into the US first.

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com
First you are aware that the Jets play in a 15.000 seat arena second the Jets have the richest owner in the league in David Thompson & third NHL . overall or just Hockey in general is just not that popular in the United States for Pete sakes it is now the number 5 most poplar sport behind MLS soccer.
A 15k arena they can't sellout even for one of the best teams in the league. I don't care how rich the owner is it doesn't change the fact Winnipeg is a failing market.

• Haha
Reactions: Jedub

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com
The Hockey world will be also focused on Hamilton because of a $300 million dollar renovation is going to begin in may at the end of Lacrosse season is over & will be finished in October 2025 .

The renovations will be kind like what they did Seattle with Climate Change arena a complete gut job pretty much new arena over the old one & I don't think the Mercanti family who is flipping the $300 million dollar bill price tag is doing this for just a junior or semi pro hockey team this is for an NHL. team & other A++ events .
You're delusional, nobody gives a f*** about your antiquated non NHL building getting a $300 million Canadian face lift that comes nowhere close to the billion dollar renovation done in Seattle.

Jedub

Registered Lurker
Nov 21, 2013
Winnipeg
A 15k arena they can't sellout even for one of the best teams in the league. I don't care how rich the owner is it doesn't change the fact Winnipeg is a failing market.
The Jets will be fine. This is the first year that they haven't been unlikeable and shit to watch since Byfuglien left. It drove a lot of season ticket holders away. We sold out our last games against Toronto, Chicago, Philly, Minnesota, Boston...14k for our last game vs TB, etc...

Last edited:

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA

No... the "hockey world" doesn't particularly care about a renovation in Hamilton. I'm sure the folks in Hamilton and its surrounding communities care, and a renovation to the building is far better than the modern response to an outdated facility to just tear it down and build anew, and I'm happy they'll have modern amenities in that old barn.

With that said, given the unfortunate location of the city of Hamilton, both Toronto and Buffalo would veto any attempt to bring a team there unless that prospective owner has some very deep pockets. I mean, I know there's still this burning desire by some to bring a team to Hamilton, but it's gonna take more than someone with Balsillie's net worth circa 2006 to pull that off. MLSE loves its monopoly on the GTA, and Buffalo enjoys having fans in the Niagara region show up for games. Now, I'm not saying it'll never happen, but you have to understand how incredibly unlikely it is.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
If the NHL expands by 4 teams by the end of the decade, they will almost certainly be in Utah, Houston, and Atlanta. Unsure about city #4, but one would think it could be San Diego, KC, Quebec, or even a second tema in Texas (Austin).

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Reading this topic through again, did Bettman just play everybody here? Everyone is focused on Omaha, the one option which absolutely and clearly won’t happen, and nobody’s really talking about Kansas City, Cincinnati, or Salt Lake City anymore as bad options, when I fundamentally guarantee that any of the three would’ve been laughed out of the forum five years ago (though I have been pumping SLC’s tires as a very long-term expansion target for years now, and I am always in favor of more Central Time Zone teams, so KC has my support).

Watch Cincinnati get a team and the general reaction will then be that at least it wasn’t Omaha.
There's a reason Bettman is the longest tenured commissioner, and it's not because hockey is a roaring success like basketball and the NFL.

Reactions: Stumbledore

lakeshirts37

Jun 25, 2019
There you go. Coyotes get stuffed into Houston on the cheap. Then SLC and Atlanta get teams #33 and #34 for $1b each. No other city on that list is even remotely appealing to the NHL. If Houston is showing any interest I think the NHL will fudge the numbers to make it work and look expensive enough to preserve franchise values.
and then back to Arizona in 10 years 😂

If the NHL expands by 4 teams by the end of the decade, they will almost certainly be in Utah, Houston, and Atlanta. Unsure about city #4, but one would think it could be San Diego, KC, Quebec, or even a second tema in Texas (Austin).
San Diego and Austin would have no shot. I think it would be KC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad