Dreger: Chychrun trade talks — latest media report AZ hasn’t lowered their asking price

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Barrie, Bourgault and a 1st for Chychrun seems like a pretty reasonable deal between Edmonton and Arizona to me as an outsider.

It's effectively an even cap swap (Chychrun makes $4.6 million and Barrie makes $4.5 million) and Chychrun would mostly replace Barrie's role while being way better. It has the Oilers going all-in now, with making a nice 1-2 LD punch of Chychrun and Nurse. Bourgault seems like a high upside prospect that would catch Arizona's eye (although it was just the QMJHL) and the 1st isn't at risk of being high.

Reactions: KidLine93

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
LA has a crowded right side on their D, so maybe one Matt Roy (3.15 mil) or Sean Walker (2.65 mil) would be included to balance the cap.

Hypothetically:

Chychrun-Doughty
Anderson-Roy
Edler-Durzi
Problem with LA is that Byfield and Clarke are off the table. Their next best prospect isn’t even close to good enough.

Barrie, Bourgault and a 1st for Chychrun seems like a pretty reasonable deal between Edmonton and Arizona to me as an outsider.

It's effectively an even cap swap (Chychrun makes $4.6 million and Barrie makes $4.5 million) and Chychrun would mostly replace Barrie's role while being way better. It has the Oilers going all-in now, with making a nice 1-2 LD punch of Chychrun and Nurse.
I would take that deal as an AZ fan. Also willing to let EDM keep Barrie but dump Foegele and Derek Ryan instead.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Cap Dumps that need to be added for teams?

Oilers: Have to add Pulju + Ceci to make it work?
Leafs: Kerfoot + Clifford?
Columbus: ???? No idea, this seems like it would be a hockey trade?
LA: Maybe finally move on from Quick?
Ottawa: Zaitsev

Ceci isn't a cap dump. He's our most well rounded, best defensive RD. Neither is Jesse, we literally just put pen to paper on that 1yr last month. If Edmonton cap dumps anyone, it's Warren Foegele. If we cap move a D it's Tyson Barrie, since we already have his heir apparent in Bouchard. There's literally no way we a premium for Chychrun and add Ceci, who's easily a top 4D with us on a good contract as a cap balancing move.

TheGhost

Jun 11, 2015
Salmon Arm, BC
Problem with LA is that Byfield and Clarke are off the table. Their next best prospect isn’t even close to good enough.

I would take that deal as an AZ fan. Also willing to let EDM keep Barrie but dump Foegele and Derek Ryan instead.

I’d have to look it up to double-check, but I don’t think Foegele+Ryan clears enough cap, considering Ryan would have to be replaced by a league min player at least. Moving Barrie in this trade would make some sense though

Marner4Life

Feb 12, 2019
This seems like it would be way too costly for Toronto then? Clifford + Holl to take for Arizona. Kerfoot + 1st just doesn't cut it for Arizona at that point. And any more seems way too pricey.
I think Muzzin will be going to Robidas Island. It would be picks and prospects then with Kerfoot staying!

Ledge And Dairy

Yup, Doughty logged a lot of minutes on a rebuilding team to earn those. I watched Chychrun get burned by Kaliyev & Kupari last year. Chychrun is earning his negatives on his own.
So you are like Leaf fans who saw Severson play 1 bad game against their team and instantly decided he was bad defensively even though he's actually one of the better defensive dmen in the league.

Chychrun was quite solid defensively even in that shitshow of a season by ARI.
To prove the point, here's 2 models that show him being strong defensively last season (note that the offense is likely highly effected by the QoT).
39335584-16D1-4662-991E-835D390D4DB0.jpeg

download (11).png

And here's his numbers over the last 3 years
download (12).png

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

It's effectively an even cap swap (Chychrun makes $4.6 million and Barrie makes $4.5 million) and Chychrun would mostly replace Barrie's role while being way better. It has the Oilers going all-in now, with making a nice 1-2 LD punch of Chychrun and Nurse. Bourgault seems like a high upside prospect that would catch Arizona's eye (although it was just the QMJHL) and the 1st isn't at risk of being high.
Replace Bourgault with Broberg and that sounds feasible. Broberg+Barrie+1st which I think is an overpay because Barrie is better than your conventional cap dump but that's the contract they'll need to move to get this done.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Replace Bourgault with Broberg and that sounds feasible. Broberg+Barrie+1st which I think is an overpay because Barrie is better than your conventional cap dump but that's the contract they'll need to move to get this done.

I'm surprised to hear that because I would have thought Broberg was more untouchable than Bourgault.

But yeah, something along that line would be reasonable.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Knies and Niemela would seem to be definite interesting pieces for the yotes to consider in this deal.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Cap Dumps that need to be added for teams?

Oilers: Have to add Pulju + Ceci to make it work?
Leafs: Kerfoot + Clifford?
Columbus: ???? No idea, this seems like it would be a hockey trade?
LA: Maybe finally move on from Quick?
Ottawa: Zaitsev

I think it would be Muzzin going to make room for Chychrun in the top 4.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
So you are like Leaf fans who saw Severson play 1 bad game against their team and instantly decided he was bad defensively even though he's actually one of the better defensive dmen in the league.

Chychrun was quite solid defensively even in that shitshow of a season by ARI.
To prove the point, here's 2 models that show him being strong defensively last season (note that the offense is likely highly effected by the QoT).
View attachment 589681
View attachment 589682

And here's his numbers over the last 3 years
View attachment 589683
I've watched him play on a division rival for some time. Never been impressed with his game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad