Dreger: Chychrun trade talks — latest media report AZ hasn’t lowered their asking price

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Welcome to HFBoards, where shiny prospects are already better than established NHL AllStars!

That being said, Clarke is a stud and it would be foolish to move him.
Having Clarke makes it pointless to spend the assets to match the crazy ask on Chychrun. Chychrun isn't 3 first round picks better than Clarke.

Drew Doughty was a -34 in 2018-2019 and was a -64 over a 3 year span from 2018-2021.
Yup, Doughty logged a lot of minutes on a rebuilding team to earn those. I watched Chychrun get burned by Kaliyev & Kupari last year. Chychrun is earning his negatives on his own.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Drew Doughty was -34 in 18/19 but last time I checked he is top pairing and excellent defensively. Maybe don't use +/- as the basis of an argument because Chychrun is very strong defensively but had one of those road hockey net covers as his starting goalie.
But I've seen him play & don't believe you.

Reactions: Voight and kinghock

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yup, Doughty logged a lot of minutes on a rebuilding team to earn those. I watched Chychrun get burned by Kaliyev & Kupari last year. Chychrun is earning his negatives on his own.

Wait, the Coyotes aren't a rebuilding team? What?

Chychrun has his massive negatives because he plays a lot of minutes on a bad team.

2023 1st unprotected
2023 2nd turns into a 2025 1st if Ottawa makes the playoffs this season
Zaitsev and Brannstrom

pls for the love of god just do it

I don't even know if that's enough to get rid of Zaitsev, let alone get Chychrun

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
If Ken Holland can move enough salary to make a Chychrun trade viable and still keep a 21 player roster he should win GM of the year award.

knifer

Sep 4, 2006
yk
He isn't enough. This isn't a "cap dump" you need to match salaries in order to make the trade. The players can still have value. You would be getting value back lol
They arent trading Ceci. With the injuries and all of that is Im not sure the Oil brass would think Chychrun is that much of an upgrade on Ceci. Ceci was unreal all of last year regardless of what those dummies in the " hockey mecca" are saying.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
If Columbus lands him they're going to become a legitimate threat.
CBJ probably should stay away

They got two likely top pairing prospects with top 15D potential, a top 15ishD in werenski,

Boqvist who can become a quality 2D, Bean a legit top4D option, and Peake who can be a good 4/5

They also have a few other high quality D prospects

Chychrun probably blocks their top D-men/prospects and price to get him might be too high

Jackets should just let their young talent grow with a strong group of wingers already

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
CBJ probably should stay away

They got two likely top pairing prospects with top 15D potential, a top 15ishD in werenski,

Boqvist who can become a quality 2D, Bean a legit top4D option, and Peake who can be a good 4/5

They also have a few other high quality D prospects

Chychuran probably blocks their top D-men/prospects and price to get him might be too high

Jackets should just let their young talent grow with a strong group of wingers already
I largely agree. It depends in large part on what the asking price is, but what we've heard from rumors has me thinking "stay away, far far away".

But I'm also willing to be pleasantly surprised. Wouldn't be the first time this offseason. :D

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Cap Dumps that need to be added for teams?

Oilers: Have to add Pulju + Ceci to make it work?
Leafs: Kerfoot + Clifford?
Columbus: ???? No idea, this seems like it would be a hockey trade?
LA: Maybe finally move on from Quick?
Ottawa: Zaitsev

Ceci isn’t a cap dump, he’s more than capable and unlike his days as a Senator he’s a rock on the back end that adds consistency to that Oilers blue-line.

They really would be smart to not move him, let alone move him as a cap dump.

If that’s not what you were implying, the sentiment remains. Ceci isn’t going anywhere unless it’s in a package for a better 2RD to Edmonton. And that market right now seems to be outrageous or thinning by the day.

Oilers are laughing signing Ceci and looking at teams scramble to fill out their defensive core.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Cap Dumps that need to be added for teams?

LA: Maybe finally move on from Quick?

LA has a crowded right side on their D, so maybe one Matt Roy (3.15 mil) or Sean Walker (2.65 mil) would be included to balance the cap.

Hypothetically:

Chychrun-Doughty
Anderson-Roy
Edler-Durzi

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I largely agree. It depends in large part on what the asking price is, but what we've heard from rumors has me thinking "stay away, far far away".

But I'm also willing to be pleasantly surprised. Wouldn't be the first time this offseason. :D
Yeah the blue jackets pulled a Rangers and rebuilt in like a blink of an eye

Legit they looked to be entering a large rebuild in 2021 and now in 2023 they are playoff contender who by 2025 will be very scary

Shocked how they didn't fall off despite losses of Jones, Savard, Bob, Panarin, and PLD

Gaudreau accelerates their contention timeline but even before him

Werenski
Gavrikov
Boqvist
Bean
Peake

Was a pretty promising top 5D core.

Then they added

Jiricek
Mateychuk

Either who can be anywhere from best to 4th best on that above 5 list (with Werenski already being a great 1D)

I see the Jackets having a better version of the Avs defense in a few years. Serious contenders if they don't rush things and the young prospects/players don't have huge egos

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad