Value of: Christopher Tanev to Toronto

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Oilers had that title for a long time too, so did the Thrashers back in the day: doesn't really mean much unless they can put it together and make the playoffs.

I agree they're on the upswing, but there's no way but up from rock bottom. IMO, the Leafs still need a lot to be a playoff contender: 1) hard to pinpoint who the leadership group is, 2) missing a top-pairing RHD, 3) need a better #1 goalie... lot of similarities to the Oilers tbh.

I have full confidence in Andersen, However when Martin Marincin is in your top 4 that's an issue that HAS to change.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Good chance Zaitsev is as good as Tanev. He's really good. And yes I'm aware that Tanev is quite good.

Tanev just straight up doesn't get you Nylander or Marner, or even close for that matter. Let alone Nylander or Marner+

I don't think you know how good Tanev is if you think Zaistev has a good chance to be as good...
Tanevs wayy too underrated.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
I don't think you know how good Tanev is if you think Zaistev has a good chance to be as good...
Tanevs wayy too underrated.

Tanev is very very good. So is Zaitsev.

I don't think people know how good Zaitsev is. It also helps him that he's a couple years younger than Tanev and was named to the WC all-star team in 2016, when Tanev was not. Recency bias says Zaitsev is as good as Tanev.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I know a deal won't happen with Tanev, but he'd actually be a good partner for him.

Kind of like Larsson is for Klefbom. Tanev would be that steady defensive Dman that would allow Rielly's offensive game to grow and let him jump in the play more.

I know Leaf fans might disagree, but I think adding Tanev at the expense of Nylander would make the Leafs a better and more balanced team. That's just an outside perspective, I know you guys want to keep your young core together and they're staying put, but adding Tanev to the top pairing would make the Leafs better I think.

He might be that guy but Nylander is to high a price

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Edmonton has always had a strong top 4 or 5 prospects. Never in their modern history have they had a prospect pool anything close to what Toronto has. In terms of 25 or 30 prospects deep, few teams in modern history can match what Toronto currently has.

Oh dear, you literally might be a crazy person:

-Connor McDavid
-Taylor Hall
-Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
-Leon Draisaitl
-Jordan Eberle
-Oscar Klefbom
-Nail Yakupov, Darnell Nurse, Justin Schultz, and Griffin Reinhart were all highly coveted young players as well, but likely needed a better environment to develop in

NO TEAM HAS 25 - 30 PROSPECTS THAT WILL ALL MAKE THE NHL IN THE SAME ERA

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Oh dear, you literally might be a crazy person:

-Connor McDavid
-Taylor Hall
-Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
-Leon Draisaitl
-Jordan Eberle
-Oscar Klefbom
-Nail Yakupov, Darnell Nurse, Justin Schultz, and Griffin Reinhart were all highly coveted young players as well, but likely needed a better environment to develop in

They ruined RNH, Yakupov and Schultz.

Reinhart is trash. The Oilers basically gave up Kyle Connor and Sebastien Aho for Reinhart.

Look back at the last 15 years of Oilers drafting. They have managed to get almost nothing outside of the top 60 picks.

They're literally the worst drafting team outside of the 1st round.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Edmonton has always had a strong top 4 or 5 prospects. Never in their modern history have they had a prospect pool anything close to what Toronto has. In terms of 25 or 30 prospects deep, few teams in modern history can match what Toronto currently has.

McDavid > Matthews
Drai > Nylander
Pulju = Marner

Slow down, there is a world outside of Toronto.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
I know a deal won't happen with Tanev, but he'd actually be a good partner for him.

Kind of like Larsson is for Klefbom. Tanev would be that steady defensive Dman that would allow Rielly's offensive game to grow and let him jump in the play more.

I know Leaf fans might disagree, but I think adding Tanev at the expense of Nylander would make the Leafs a better and more balanced team. That's just an outside perspective, I know you guys want to keep your young core together and they're staying put, but adding Tanev to the top pairing would make the Leafs better I think.

I totally agree here.

But IMO we have the leisure of holding onto our top-3 blue-chippers because we're not done our rebuild yet. This year should be the last year (I.e we'll finish bottom-10), and then we'll have maybe 1-2 years of middle-of-the-pack years where we can also figure that last RHD spot out.

Our top-3 targets in order should be: Trouba, Shattenkirk, Tanev. Even though Tanev's the best out of the 3 IMO, the other 2 would be easier to get because of their situations.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
McDavid > Matthews
Drai > Nylander
Pulju = Marner

Prospects 4 through 40 matter as well.

Toronto's current group of prospects blows Edmonton's group out of the water.

Toronto's current 20th ranked prospect cracks Edmonton's top 10 list.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I totally agree here.

But IMO we have the leisure of holding onto our top-3 blue-chippers because we're not done our rebuild yet. This year should be the last year (I.e we'll finish bottom-10), and then we'll have maybe 1-2 years of middle-of-the-pack years where we can also figure that last RHD spot out.

Our top-3 targets in order should be: Trouba, Shattenkirk, Tanev. Even though Tanev's the best out of the 3 IMO, the other 2 would be easier to get because of their situations.

Yeah Shatty would be a good add. We were after him but he wants to play out East.

It makes sense to keep the core you've got together, if you grab Shatty that would be a huge addition. Trouba as well, but I think he wants to be in the USA.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Prospects 4 through 40 matter as well.

Toronto's current group of prospects blows Edmonton's group out of the water.

Toronto's current 20th ranked prospect cracks Edmonton's top 10 list.

:laugh:

Well it's a good thing we're in different spots. We're trying to win right now, who cares about a 10th ranked prospect?

Anyways, we'll see when we meet November 1st. Can't wait :yo:.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
:laugh:

Well it's a good thing we're in different spots. We're trying to win right now, who cares about a 10th ranked prospect?

Anyways, we'll see when we meet November 1st. Can't wait :yo:.

I hope Edmonton wins something.

Hopefully it'll humble the other Western Canadian teams.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Tanev is very very good. So is Zaitsev.

I don't think people know how good Zaitsev is. It also helps him that he's a couple years younger than Tanev and was named to the WC all-star team in 2016, when Tanev was not. Recency bias says Zaitsev is as good as Tanev.

Tanev is quite literally one of the single best defensive defensemen in the NHL. I like Zaitsev too but..it's been like 5 games. Tanev has been putting up very good numbers against top competition for three seasons.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

It's been brutal, but we've stuck by. We finally have a balanced and deep team.

This is a different Oilers team, they play way harder and more physical. Against the Blues it was the first time we weren't bullied by them. We finally have more of a team first atmosphere, before it was individuals. These guys are building a belief in each other, hopefully it continues.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

r8J6vjh.jpg

YOU THINK THAT WILL STOP ME?

3nf2Z4U.jpg

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
It's been brutal, but we've stuck by. We finally have a balanced and deep team.

This is a different Oilers team, they play way harder and more physical. Against the Blues it was the first time we weren't bullied by them. We finally have more of a team first atmosphere, before it was individuals. These guys are building a belief in each other, hopefully it continues.

You know why, right?

It was that Yakupov tribute.

Aintboutdatlyfe*

He's built but still small. If that's the case and he does move to centre, then yeah value goes up due to position. Centre and D are close in value, wingers being below both.

For what it's worth I'm an Oilers fan, and I don't think Pulju would net Tanev. Dmen hold that value in this league.

See, in my view, elite-star talent and upside, is the most valuable thing, and overrides any positional bias. Puljujarvi and Nylander both have that upside. And while Tanev is great and certainly a #2D. I also don't think many people see him with that upside.

Aintboutdatlyfe*

McDavid > Matthews
Drai > Nylander
Pulju = Marner

You could argue both of these in favour of the Leafs as well, to be fair, only time will tell.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
See, in my view, elite-star talent and upside, is the most valuable thing, and overrides any positional bias. Puljujarvi and Nylander both have that upside. And while Tanev is great and certainly a #2D. I also don't think many people see him with that upside.

Yeah fair enough, Tanev is what he is now. He's a #2 D.

I guess what it comes down to, Tanev would make you better right now this season, but you're playing the long game and banking on Nylander hitting his ceiling 4-5 years from now.

In the Leafs situation, that makes sense. You've got a bunch of young talent coming up all at the same time. By the way, Nielsen is criminally underrated by your fan base. Kid is a stud, watched him a lot in the WHL. He's a surefire NHLer, likely tops out at a #3/4 who can play the PP.

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
yeah asking for Nylander or Marner is wishful thinking. The comparison would be Canucks trading Horvat+2nd+something else for Hjalmarrson, which I doubt the crowd that is asking for Nylander or Marner would do.

Leaf Fans you guys never gave your opinions on the original trade proposal. I think it's a fair deal with a defensive prospect being added in. Have any suggestions?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad