Value of: Christopher Tanev to Toronto

Aintboutdatlyfe*

Excellent then we agree

we keep Tanev, and you can keep sporting that amazing top pairing of yours.

We are not trading Tanev barring an overpayment.

That's fine. I was never the one who proposed this deal. Our defence will be fine. It's just young. I for one would worry about the state of your entire team, if you really wanna start throwing shade. Rielly is more valuable than any Dman on the Canucks and no one on the Canucks even touches the Leafs top 3 prospects (Well, more than prospects, they are players now). Unsustainable 4-0 start where you've led for like 20 minutes withstanding, there is good reason why fans and experts alike realize that the Canucks have the most bleak outlook for the foreseeable future in the entire NHL.

Last edited by a moderator:

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
That's fine. I was never the one who proposed this deal. Our defence will be fine. It's just young. I for one would worry about the state of your entire team, if you really wanna start throwing shade. Rielly is more valuable than any Dman on the Canucks and no one on the Canucks even touches the Leafs top 3 prospects. Unsustainable 4-0 start where you've led for like 20 minutes withstanding, there is good reason why fans and experts alike realize that the Canucks have the most bleak outlook for the foreseeable future in the entire NHL.

The Canucks are in serious trouble. A hot start only pushes them further out of a top draft pick.

iloveloov*

1337 intangibles
Apr 24, 2013
Leafs & Canucks
Edmonton had to give up a young 1st OA who was top 5 in his position for Larsson who is inferior to Tanev at defending.

The market has been set.

It would take a minimum of Marner + Zaitsev to pry Tanev away from Vancouver.

Aintboutdatlyfe*

Easy now.

He's a winger right now, no guarantee he moves back to centre. Dmen like Tanev have a very high value. 26 year old #2 Dmen like Tanev are more valuable than small wingers with "upside". It's not a knock on Nylander, just Dmen hold higher value all else being equal.

Yes, yes it is a guarantee that he moves back to Center. He's a center. This is factual. As soon as Bozak is gone. He's Center. He's always been a natural center, he's only played wing for about 40 games of his whole career. Including being a Center last year with the Leafs.

And he's not small either. At the very least he is far from weak. Dude is built like a tank. Go ahead and look at Nylander's production since settling into the NHL, and compare it to his production patterns in every single league he's played in. About 5-10 games of adjustment period in each league. Then dominating production. The NHL has been no different. Nylander gets overlooked. He's every bit on the same level as Marner, Puljujarvi, etc. possibly even better, considering he's a C.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Yes, yes it is a guarantee that he moves back to Center. He's a center. This is factual. As soon as Bozak is gone. He's Center. He's always been a natural center, he's only played wing for about 40 games of his whole career. Including being a Center last year with the Leafs.

And he's not small either. At the very least he is far from weak. Dude is built like a tank. Go ahead and look at Nylander's production since settling into the NHL, and compare it to his production patterns in every single league he's played in. About 5-10 games of adjustment period in each league. Then dominating production. The NHL has been no different. Nylander gets overlooked. He's every bit on the same level as Marner, Puljujarvi, etc. possibly even better, considering he's a C.

He's built but still small. If that's the case and he does move to centre, then yeah value goes up due to position. Centre and D are close in value, wingers being below both.

For what it's worth I'm an Oilers fan, and I don't think Pulju would net Tanev. Dmen hold that value in this league.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007

Interesting fact - William Nylander at 20 years old is the same size as Daniel Sedin.

iloveloov*

1337 intangibles
Apr 24, 2013
Leafs & Canucks
If Trouba can't get a guy like Nylander, Tanev isn't going to fetch a top 5 prospect on the planet.

Trouba is far more valuable than Tanev.

You are incorrect sir.

Not only is he the superior defender, Vancouver doesn't need to trade Tanev and Winnipeg needs to trade Trouba.

Big difference between the two scenarios.

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Said a fan whose team has the best group of young talent on the planet.

Oilers had that title for a long time too, so did the Thrashers back in the day: doesn't really mean much unless they can put it together and make the playoffs.

Yes, a draft pick we DESPRSTELY needed, now the team looks like it's on the upswing and it's only a matter of team until they become very VERY good

I agree they're on the upswing, but there's no way but up from rock bottom. IMO, the Leafs still need a lot to be a playoff contender: 1) hard to pinpoint who the leadership group is, 2) missing a top-pairing RHD, 3) need a better #1 goalie... lot of similarities to the Oilers tbh.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Lets chill a little here, I like Zaitsev, I have been impressed but I still see a long term Partner for Gardiner not Rielly.

We still need a partner for Rielly

I know a deal won't happen with Tanev, but he'd actually be a good partner for him.

Kind of like Larsson is for Klefbom. Tanev would be that steady defensive Dman that would allow Rielly's offensive game to grow and let him jump in the play more.

I know Leaf fans might disagree, but I think adding Tanev at the expense of Nylander would make the Leafs a better and more balanced team. That's just an outside perspective, I know you guys want to keep your young core together and they're staying put, but adding Tanev to the top pairing would make the Leafs better I think.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Oilers had that title for a long time too, so did the Thrashers back in the day: doesn't really mean much unless they can put it together and make the playoffs.

Edmonton has always had a strong top 4 or 5 prospects. Never in their modern history have they had a prospect pool anything close to what Toronto has. In terms of 25 or 30 prospects deep, few teams in modern history can match what Toronto currently has.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad