Confirmed with Link: Chris Neil will not return next season

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
One potential hitch in the Olympics idea is that Hockey Canada has said that they are going to select a team from players who are currently playing, be it in Europe or the KHL. It's looking like the Spengler Cup will be the first look at what might be our team, in fact.

What this effectively means is that they aren't prepared to have a handful of ex-NHLers skating on their own in North America until February, then throw them out there. Maybe that changes, but for now guys like Iginla, Doan, Neil, etc., would have to find their way to a European club team if they want to be in the mix...

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
If I remember correctly, Neil actually looked decent to start the year last year (had an extra jump in his step early on after losing some weight in the offseason). A short tourney might actually be right up his alley. That said, the Olympics are not typically know for accommodating his style of hockey regardless of whether he is good enough at his age or not.

I have the same recollection as you do about Neil and his extra jump and speed last year. At his age, with limited skill set, I doubt that any team will sign him to a one way NHL contract for this coming season. And I also don't think he has the skills that national teams are seeking.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I have not heard any news regarding Neil. I suspect he will announce his retirement soon.
As NyQuil reported, he can be seen by the Oil Changers coffee machine getting his daily refills. I zoke, snort coke.

There was no need for Neil to publicly put Boucher under the bus about his "lack" of play time when he didn't earn it in the last year. Great Senator, bled for this team, got aptly paid and respected, but it will be difficult for him to have a role with the organization with Boucher at helm. As for him looking to play - that boat really sailed a few years ago, BMurr was kind enough to give him the extension. Now we have Borvihitski for half the price playing that role (and effectively so far this season).

Wish Neiler all the best.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
There was no need for Neil to publicly put Boucher under the bus about his "lack" of play time when he didn't earn it in the last year. Great Senator, bled for this team, got aptly paid and respected, but it will be difficult for him to have a role with the organization with Boucher at helm.

This is news to me. Was it in an article?

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
As NyQuil reported, he can be seen by the Oil Changers coffee machine getting his daily refills. I zoke, snort coke.

There was no need for Neil to publicly put Boucher under the bus about his "lack" of play time when he didn't earn it in the last year. Great Senator, bled for this team, got aptly paid and respected, but it will be difficult for him to have a role with the organization with Boucher at helm. As for him looking to play - that boat really sailed a few years ago, BMurr was kind enough to give him the extension. Now we have Borvihitski for half the price playing that role (and effectively so far this season).

The guy made 20 million dollars as a tough guy.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Really hope the sens don't give him a press conference and act like its all good, he chose to test free agency let him retire with a twitter statement like every other player who wants to play for multiple teams.

Reactions: Uchiha and branch

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
The guy made 20 million dollars as a tough guy.
He was so much more than just a tough guy though. He was a motivator, an rallier, an instigator, and an agitator. He also laid some nasty hits time to time.

Comes off to me as "the coach doesn't think I have it in me anymore, and I know that I do" more than "the coach doesn't know what he's doing." They obviously don't see eye to eye in terms of his contributions but I don't think he threw anyone under the bus.

Reactions: Hellraising Senator

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

Don't start stories. He didn't throw him under the bus.

Reactions: Hellraising Senator

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'm not. They are where they should be right now. Sitting at home.

Sometimes you have to make the most of injuries and look at them as opportunities to see how young players handle additional ice time and responsibility.

It's not ideal, but it can help with their development IMO. We have talent in the pipeline.

That's irrespective of the kind of shape Kelly and Neil are in at the moment.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

sensfan44

peacetowersens
Aug 12, 2007
Chilliwack BC
Visit site
Really hope the sens don't give him a press conference and act like its all good, he chose to test free agency let him retire with a twitter statement like every other player who wants to play for multiple teams.

You mean like every other player since the leagues inception in 1917-18 who've played 1000 career NHL games? Because only 313 players have ever done that. Guess how many of these 'every other players' have played their 1000+ games for only ONE team. 30. Thirty players in league history have played 1000+ games with only one team. Chris Neil is NOT like 'every other player' who wants to play for 'multiple teams'. How anyone can look beyond these unbelievable accomplishments and not want to hang his number in OUR rafters is beyond me. Beyond the whole giving 'heart & soul' colloquialism , the 1000 games with one team makes his number retireable and accomplishment legendary.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
You mean like every other player since the leagues inception in 1917-18 who've played 1000 career NHL games? Because only 313 players have ever done that. Guess how many of these 'every other players' have played their 1000+ games for only ONE team. 30. Thirty players in league history have played 1000+ games with only one team. Chris Neil is NOT like 'every other player' who wants to play for 'multiple teams'. How anyone can look beyond these unbelievable accomplishments and not want to hang his number in OUR rafters is beyond me. Beyond the whole giving 'heart & soul' colloquialism , the 1000 games with one team makes his number retireable and accomplishment legendary.

I'm sorry, but I'm not retiring his jersey. Quite frankly, the only Ottawa Senator whose jersey is I'm even thinking about retiring is Karlsson, and that only happens if he stays in Ottawa instead of leaving in free agency in 2 years.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
If Phillips won a couple cups you could make a Ken Danyeko argument

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Phillip+Neil should be ring of honour guys. It wouldn't be that outlandish to retire their jerseys because spending your entire career on one team and having it span 1000+ games is a very unique accomplishment in today's NHL, but it would definitely feel forced.

If it were up to me, honoured but not retired.

The way I see it, we reserve jersey retirements for the top echelon guys. Alfredsson, and then eventually Karlsson and Borowiecki but as of now, nobody else.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I thought Neil should've retired 2-3 seasons ago, so I'm not exactly a big fan of his.....but I really don't care for the folks laughing at him now. Kicking a guy when he's down isn't cool.

He was a loyal foot soldier for us, and deserves to retire with dignity.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016

What are you talking about? He'd probably sign with the winless Arizona Coyotes if they offered him a contract right now. He hasn't moved on to another team because no team is willing to take him. And frankly, I don't think an athlete playing for multiple teams detracts in any way from his career. Michael Jordan isn't any less great because he played for the Wiz. Guys move on in pro sports; it's just part of the biz.

Don't get me wrong, I love Chris Neil. But his major accomplishment is basically that he played an arbitrary amount of games with one team. He was never one of the best players in the league, let alone on the team. Sometimes he wasn't even the best player on his own line. I dunno, I guess I'm just against retiring a guy's number based on games played. You have to be truly great to earn that honour imo. GP isn't an indicator of greatness, it's a marker of longevity. Alfie and Karlsson are the only guys who fit the bill of true greats.

I'm sorry, but I'm not retiring his jersey. Quite frankly, the only Ottawa Senator whose jersey is I'm even thinking about retiring is Karlsson, and that only happens if he stays in Ottawa instead of leaving in free agency in 2 years.

Only if he stays in Ottawa? I think he's already accomplished enough to warrant his jersey being hung from the rafters. Multiple Norris trophies; captained us to game 7 of the conference finals; he'll finish his tenure in Ottawa with every individual defensive record--none of which will be touched for decades, if ever. He's arguably a top 10 player of his era and a lock to make the Hall of Fame if he continues on this trajectory for a few more years. That's more than enough imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad