Confirmed with Link: Chris Neil will not return next season

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
If Neil wants to continue his life after hockey in a coaching role, a player development coach role seems right Kind of like what Donovan is doing with the Sens; though I doubt he'd want to go to Belleville full time to do so as he has ties to Ottawa both business and family. I could see him as a contract consultant though coming in from time to time like for training camps, and what not. Not sure Neil's a good fit for the role, or if that role is a good fit for Neil's desired future after hockey.

What are his skills? I can see him helping young players train and bulk up. He could also teach them how to play a physical game with body checking and how to defend themselves and fight. He could also help them play a controlled game keeping their emotions in check.

So he does have something to offer!

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
What are his skills? I can see him helping young players train and bulk up. He could also teach them how to play a physical game with body checking and how to defend themselves and fight. He could also help them play a controlled game keeping their emotions in check.

Sounds a bit like what Gary Roberts is doing. And from what I hear, he makes a great living with his gym/consultant business.

There could be a sport on the hockey landscape for Neil to do something similar. Heavy focus on the body, nutrition, but also how to paly a power game (not necessarily fighting). Things like positioning, protecting the puck, the dirty stuff like corner work & carving your way to the net, etc. Hell, he could be the guy who teaches a generation of kids to be the next wave of power forwards.

Not to mention, the CIH school east of Ottawa is quickly turning into a strong spot to develop kids (they worked with Vilardi). That's close enough to Ottawa to be a (somewhat) decent commute. They'd probably love to have Neil on their staff.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I agree he has something to offer. No question. I could be wrong but he seemed a little bitter about his playing time and usage this year. IMO he could offer the young kids a lot of lessons about preparing and working to get better.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Sounds a bit like what Gary Roberts is doing. And from what I hear, he makes a great living with his gym/consultant business.

There could be a sport on the hockey landscape for Neil to do something similar. Heavy focus on the body, nutrition, but also how to paly a power game (not necessarily fighting). Things like positioning, protecting the puck, the dirty stuff like corner work & carving your way to the net, etc. Hell, he could be the guy who teaches a generation of kids to be the next wave of power forwards.

Not to mention, the CIH school east of Ottawa is quickly turning into a strong spot to develop kids (they worked with Vilardi). That's close enough to Ottawa to be a (somewhat) decent commute. They'd probably love to have Neil on their staff.

OOh I hope Chris Neil starts a gym and takes away some business from that short little greedy troll Tony Greco.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I agree he has something to offer. No question. I could be wrong but he seemed a little bitter about his playing time and usage this year. IMO he could offer the young kids a lot of lessons about preparing and working to get better.

I am not surprised he may be a bit bitter. But his time is done. He just doesn't recognize it at this time. Many don't when they get near the end of their careers. Kelly is at the same time point.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Neiler was honoured at the REDBLACKS game last night by being the official "chain saw guy" to start the game. He got a very warm reception from the fans, which was nice to see. It was instantly obvious that he has a lasting connection with the fans and the city...

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I've always felt that Neil would make an effective coach. He came into their league as a lower level goon, and survived by picking up enough hockey skills to earn his place in a lineup that didn't initially value his core skill sets. He worked on his skill game enough to survive. I think he'd been an effective teacher of that more than a player to whom it came naturally.

The other role I can see him play is hire him by the league to consult on rule changes or involved with this discipline side. No player better understood how to balance the line between illegal and legal. The NHL could probably use his insights when they try to make various changes, as he's they type to automatically know how people will look to work around them.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I could see him going into the player conditioning/training side of things, kind of like what Gary Roberts did with his life after hockey.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I could see him going into the player conditioning/training side of things, kind of like what Gary Roberts did with his life after hockey.

Definitely. Neil's conditioning is the reason why he was able to play into his late 30s, whereas a guy like Brandon Prust was done by 31. (Word around the NHL is that Prust's conditioning was less than stellar.)

Having said all that, it would certainly appear as if Neil's time in the NHL is done. If guys like Iggy and Doan are unsigned, it's hard to see anything for Neil other than a PTO, which would be a humiliating way for a proud veteran to go out. As mentioned, I would like to see a news conference at CTC at the opening of camp, allowing Neil to announce his retirement as a Senator...

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Definitely. Neil's conditioning is the reason why he was able to play into his late 30s, whereas a guy like Brandon Prust was done by 31. (Word around the NHL is that Prust's conditioning was less than stellar.)

Having said all that, it would certainly appear as if Neil's time in the NHL is done. If guys like Iggy and Doan are unsigned, it's hard to see anything for Neil other than a PTO, which would be a humiliating way for a proud veteran to go out. As mentioned, I would like to see a news conference at CTC at the opening of camp, allowing Neil to announce his retirement as a Senator...

Maybe Prust should have spent more time working out and less time modelling, or appearing on reality TV.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Prust will be on a PTO with the Kings at training camp no??

I saw an interview recently where he was saying that playing in Germany last year helped him get his conditionning back and that he's never skated like he can now. Will be interesting to see. He never was a terrible skater tbh.

source

Jul 13, 2008
Prust was a *******.

The NHL is much better off without his ilk.

In terms of bad attitude, Prust is pretty close to Sean Avery's level.

I've noticed that Prust often seems to feel challenged in his interviews and by reporters' questions/comments. His usual reaction is to get defensive or say negative things about others.

What Prust should do is to try and be more humble, and to think more positively about others. His comments about Paul MacLean are a good indicator of Prust's maturity level; kind of sad for someone his age.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
In terms of bad attitude, Prust is pretty close to Sean Avery's level.

I've noticed that Prust often seems to feel challenged in his interviews and by reporters' questions/comments. His usual reaction is to get defensive or say negative things about others.

What Prust should do is to try and be more humble, and to think more positively about others. His comments about Paul MacLean are a good indicator of Prust's maturity level; kind of sad for someone his age.

I think that when you get to your 30's, you sort of are what you are, especially if you have no real reason to change. Some people in the world just have bad attitudes. Prust is one of those people, he just happens to be good at hockey too.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Like it or not, though, Prust is a comparable to Neil in the eyes of many around the NHL, and the best that Prust could rustle up for himself was a PTO. I'm not even sure that there's a team willing to offer Neil that right now.

Also, you'll note that when Hockey Canada talked about potentially adding unsigned NHLers to the Olympic Team, they talked about Iginla and Doan, not Chris Neil. Even if Neil wanted to be considered, Hockey Canada has made it clear that they need to be playing somewhere, i.e. Europe or the KHL, in order to be considered. Neil isn't leaving his family behind to go play for Zug in the Swiss League for a year - no way.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Like it or not, though, Prust is a comparable to Neil in the eyes of many around the NHL, and the best that Prust could rustle up for himself was a PTO. I'm not even sure that there's a team willing to offer Neil that right now.

Also, you'll note that when Hockey Canada talked about potentially adding unsigned NHLers to the Olympic Team, they talked about Iginla and Doan, not Chris Neil. Even if Neil wanted to be considered, Hockey Canada has made it clear that they need to be playing somewhere, i.e. Europe or the KHL, in order to be considered. Neil isn't leaving his family behind to go play for Zug in the Swiss League for a year - no way.

I anticipate that Neil will announce his retirement in the next month before the season starts. The demand for his skill-set has declined and he is under-sized for the enforcer role given the huge players available that perform that role now.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I anticipate that Neil will announce his retirement in the next month before the season starts. The demand for his skill-set has declined and he is under-sized for the enforcer role given the huge players available that perform that role now.

Yep, I think that looks pretty much inevitable now. I would imagine that the club would offer to host the news conference, ensuring that as many old teammates as possible are able to be in attendance. This way, he basically gets to retire as an Ottawa Senator, even though he doesn't have a contract at present.

Neil will say that although he had some offers, none of them were the right fit for his family and that his heart was still in Ottawa. That's totally cool - a proud warrior like Chris Neil who did so much for the club and the city ought to be given a graceful, face-saving retirement. The last thing I want to see is Neil being released from a PTO in Colorado or something...

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Yep, I think that looks pretty much inevitable now. I would imagine that the club would offer to host the news conference, ensuring that as many old teammates as possible are able to be in attendance. This way, he basically gets to retire as an Ottawa Senator, even though he doesn't have a contract at present.

Neil will say that although he had some offers, none of them were the right fit for his family and that his heart was still in Ottawa. That's totally cool - a proud warrior like Chris Neil who did so much for the club and the city ought to be given a graceful, face-saving retirement. The last thing I want to see is Neil being released from a PTO in Colorado or something...

I hope he retires as a Senator too without playing for another team. However I would not be unhappy if he tried to get a contract via PTO with another team. No matter what he does I respect him and applaud his play for the Senators.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
IMO, if he can't find a contract, Neil should get back with the team and work with Belleville in some capacity. I think he can provide a lot of help to kids about to make the jump.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
IMO, if he can't find a contract, Neil should get back with the team and work with Belleville in some capacity. I think he can provide a lot of help to kids about to make the jump.

I doubt he would want to move to Belleville with his family but a few trips each year would be something to consider.

CTC

Oct 9, 2014
Am I missing something in this thread? I was pretty sure that Neil has signed in Ottawa as part of the management/administration and is now the new CFO?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad