Confirmed with Link: Chris Neil Extended 1 year 1.5 Million

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
As an old fan who grew up watching him, I love this. Neil's 1000th game will a lot of fun. One of the franchise greats.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
They all want to win; however, some of them have less than stellar records at doing it.

I am happy for Neil and look forward to seeing him get 1,000 games.

The downside is that this does not make the team better. But $1.5 M is not going to do that. So . . .

Kind of how I feel.

The 1.5 is whatever and it's nice the team is giving him that. But l hope he plays minimally throughout next year. We can celebrate the 1000th game then see ya later

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Maybe if Alf doesn't bolt for Detroit none of this supposedly necessary legacy-building (him and Phillips) has to happen, but here we are. At least it's only for one more year. Hopefully we can move on afterwards to improving the team.

Don't get me wrong though: I love him as a fan.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Sure, whatever.

People who think that Neil playing 4th line minutes is keeping us from winning games have their priorities in the wrong place. He's been fine his year. The 4th line isn't where this team falls apart on a regular basis.

Comparing Neil (who plays such an insignificant role on the 4th line as a support player), to Phillips (who was asked to play 23 mins a night when he clearly was not suited to that minute-munching role anymore) is just stupid. The only thing they have in common is that they are older, and are career Senators. Other than that, their scenarios are completely different.

delchief

Jun 10, 2006
Sure, whatever.

People who think that Neil playing 4th line minutes is keeping us from winning games have their priorities in the wrong place. He's been fine his year. The 4th line isn't where this team falls apart on a regular basis.

Comparing Neil (who plays such an insignificant role on the 4th line as a support player), to Phillips (who was asked to play 23 mins a night when he clearly was not suited to that minute-munching role anymore) is just stupid. The only thing they have in common is that they are older, and are career Senators. Other than that, their scenarios are completely different.

Yeah, pretty much this. Neil would be a legit 12th/13th forward on a contending team. Good vet for the locker room. Good example of how to take care of your body to stick around in this league. I have no problem with this one. When partnered with the right guys on the 4th line he's fine and doesn't hurt you. Throws a few checks here and there. Hasn't taken nearly as many dumb penalties this year. On the odd night where you may need someone to throw down he can do that for you.

All in all, relatively minor signing in terms of salary for a legacy player. This is ok.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
I think we're better with different players in the 4th line, but this isn't a big deal. Only one year, could be moved at deadline if we're out of it.

I hate the way he runs around and loses any semblance of defensive responsibility but he's usually against the 4th liners so not a huge deal. Glad he gets to play his 1000th in a Sens uni.

Blotto71

Okay, maybe the worst is behind us...?
May 12, 2013
Over There
Good for Neil, great for fans (as evidenced on this board), does not help the team win - and isn't that the point of a professional sports team? I get all the warm and fuzzy stuff, I really do, but I'd be a-ok if the GM laid out a plan to win a cup within the next 5 years and it didn't include guys like Neil. But I guess I'll have to settle for "legacy" building and golden hand-shake contracts and next year at this same time we can all once again celebrate mediocrity together.

delchief

Jun 10, 2006
Good for Neil, great for fans (as evidenced on this board), does not help the team win - and isn't that the point of a professional sports team? I get all the warm and fuzzy stuff, I really do, but I'd be a-ok if the GM laid out a plan to win a cup within the next 5 years and it didn't include guys like Neil. But I guess I'll have to settle for "legacy" building and golden hand-shake contracts and next year at this same time we can all once again celebrate mediocrity together.

I get this and you may be right. But to me this one feels a little different than that silly 2-year deal that Chris Phillips signed back in 2014. That was dumb.

This one isn't all about the numbers. And yes, the team's goal should always be to win and make moves that help you win. This one gets chalked up to intangibles. I'm not a fan of trying to justify unknowable things like heart and character but even the most analytic among us also realizes that these guys are human beings. Leadership and strength of character, when applied in the right doses, can obviously go a long way in lifting the collective spirit of a team. Murray's problem is that he perhaps relies on these traits too much and I understand the argument from some on this forum that Cameron does the same.

Look, I like that they asked Neil to lose some weight in the off-season to get a little faster and he did it without hesitation. He hasn't hurt the team and his CF% numbers (when partnered with the right guys) speak to that. He's a 4th line forward who has truly bled for this team. Give him his 1000th game. It's good for the franchise. These guys aren't machines. Play the long game.....

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I laughed so hard when he went after Engglund in the corner completely removing himself from the play and we scored in spite of it.

He took a big body off of Lazar along the boards near the corner, and Lazar immediately set up Paul for a goal.

I mean, it wasn't pretty, and he didn't have to STAY with Engelland the whole time (lol), but he was part of that play.

Blotto71

Okay, maybe the worst is behind us...?
May 12, 2013
Over There
I get this and you may be right. But to me this one feels a little different than that silly 2-year deal that Chris Phillips signed back in 2014. That was dumb.

This one isn't all about the numbers. And yes, the team's goal should always be to win and make moves that help you win. This one gets chalked up to intangibles. I'm not a fan of trying to justify unknowable things like heart and character but even the most analytic among us also realizes that these guys are human beings. Leadership and strength of character, when applied in the right doses, can obviously go a long way in lifting the collective spirit of a team. Murray's problem is that he perhaps relies on these traits too much and I understand the argument from some on this forum that Cameron does the same.

Look, I like that they asked Neil to lose some weight in the off-season to get a little faster and he did it without hesitation. He hasn't hurt the team and his CF% numbers (when partnered with the right guys) speak to that. He's a 4th line forward who has truly bled for this team. Give him his 1000th game. It's good for the franchise. These guys aren't machines. Play the long game.....

I love Neil as a player and think that having him around can help young guys - as we've all noted, Neil has never been suspended despite playing a hard-nosed game. I'm not anywhere near Ottawa but the impression I get is that Neil is also a great community guy. So I get celebrating his career and wanting to see him play 1000 - my frustration is that, as a fan, the Sens seem to throw this stuff out and expect us to gobble it up as the team continues to flounder. I want more.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I don't get the Phillips hate. If he was healthy, he'd be a great guy to have on the third pair right now, playing sheltered minutes but able to add some experience and pretty good puck moving skills for that slot. Early last season he was playing pretty well. It's only when the back flared up that his game went south fast.

I'm happy to have Neiler around for one season. It's important to show players that the organization treats guys right, and the salary fits the role. Sometimes there is more to building a team than numbers on a sheet of paper.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I don't get the Phillips hate. If he was healthy, he'd be a great guy to have on the third pair right now, playing sheltered minutes but able to add some experience and pretty good puck moving skills for that slot. Early last season he was playing pretty well. It's only when the back flared up that his game went south fast.

I'm happy to have Neiler around for one season. It's important to show players that the organization treats guys right, and the salary fits the role. Sometimes there is more to building a team than numbers on a sheet of paper.

Because he's old, and some people just don't like old players unless they;re Alfredsson :P

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Canes are about to trade status. Also has a shot to reach 1000 games next year for the Hurricanes. Pure evil. They will be punished accordingly

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I love Neil, one of my absolute favorites but I'm ready to move on. One year isn't a big deal but I'm not overjoyed or anything at the signing. He doesn't hurt us too terribly and maybe he's actually really good behind the scenes and is a good leader or something so there are benefits we don't see.

His style of game just isn't that important anymore although I really wish it was.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Of course the only reason I compared them to one another is precisely that they're career Senators, and that's why they've been given these extensions. If Phillips is not a career Senator, what's stopping Murray from trading him at the deadline a couple of years ago when the team was going nowhere? (especially since you have Phillips in such high consideration, imagine the fantastic return we'd get in such a trade!) If Murray and Phillips loved each other so much he could have always come back at the end of the season as a free agent.

It's the same thing with Neil. Since, in your own words, he's so insignificant, why is it so important to sign him when we possibly have plenty of other players who could play those same few minutes, likely better?

In both cases, as you said it's because they're career Senators. This matters most because we have to make up for failing to enshrine Alf as a career Senator and we can't let that happen again so soon after.

But it's ok, I don't mind having my ideas called stupid. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad