Confirmed with Link: Chris Neil Extended 1 year 1.5 Million

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Why do you keep saying that when this coach plays a number of guys who I wouldn't consider gritty? Karlsson, Hoffman, Ryan, Zibanejad, Wideman & a few others who are not tough players, who are you referring too? Oh let me guess. You are against dressing Neil, Smith & Boro, am I right?

Mostly Neil and Boro. Smith to a lesser degree when he was slumping and taking bad penalties and never got scratched.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Why do you keep saying that when this coach plays a number of guys who I wouldn't consider gritty? Karlsson, Hoffman, Ryan, Zibanejad, Wideman & a few others who are not tough players, who are you referring too? Oh let me guess. You are against dressing Neil, Smith & Boro, am I right?

Yes, because Karlsson, Hoffman, Ryan and Zibanejad are prime players to be scratched. If he ever did that he would be fired on the spot.

Wideman has been scratched many times in favour of Boro, who by the way hasn't been scratched even once.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Mostly Neil and Boro. Smith to a lesser degree when he was slumping and taking bad penalties and never got scratched.

That's pretty much all the toughness on the team, I suppose you prefer European hockey or a team of small speedy skilled players. Watch the playoffs this yr & then we can talk again, I believe you will see some very tough hockey played where IMO these small players will get run. BTW when most wanted RNH in his draft yr I predicted he would be hurt a lot because he was small & soft & Edm was a small & soft team especially at forward & he has been hurt a lot. It's Edm biggest problem IMO which is why Cherelli said they have to get bigger. It's what Montreal has been saying for yrs they have to get bigger. Most teams want to get bigger not smaller. Interesting that some of the smallest teams in the NHL are at the bottom of the league.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Yes, because Karlsson, Hoffman, Ryan and Zibanejad are prime players to be scratched. If he ever did that he would be fired on the spot.

Wideman has been scratched many times in favour of Boro, who by the way hasn't been scratched even once.

I was making a point that this coach plays lots of players on this team who are not gritty. I have no idea what you are going on about. And Boro shouldn't be scratched they need his toughness in the lineup whether you think so or not, thankfully the coach thinks so. Not everyone is a Boro hater.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
That's pretty much all the toughness on the team, I suppose you prefer European hockey or a team of small speedy skilled players. Watch the playoffs this yr & then we can talk again, I believe you will see some very tough hockey played where IMO these small players will get run. BTW when most wanted RNH in his draft yr I predicted he would be hurt a lot because he was small & soft & Edm was a small & soft team especially at forward & he has been hurt a lot. It's Edm biggest problem IMO which is why Cherelli said they have to get bigger. It's what Montreal has been saying for yrs they have to get bigger. Most teams want to get bigger not smaller. Interesting that some of the smallest teams in the NHL are at the bottom of the league.

Which teams are you talking about?

I was making a point that this coach plays lots of players on this team who are not gritty. I have no idea what you are going on about. And Boro shouldn't be scratched they need his toughness in the lineup whether you think so or not, thankfully the coach thinks so. Not everyone is a Boro hater.

I was making a point that he plays them because they are the best players and has nothing to do whether they are gritty or not, so your argument falls flat. Again.

That's because the GM, coach and yourself are dinosaurs. You and the management need to realize we are not in 1995 anymore.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Which teams are you talking about?

I was making a point that he plays them because they are the best players and has nothing to do whether they are gritty or not, so your argument falls flat. Again.

That's because the GM, coach and yourself are dinosaurs. You and the management need to realize we are not in 1995 anymore.

Edm & Montreal for two. And he plays Boro precisely because he needs more toughness in the lineup & if you don't like it you should watch European hockey or women's hockey.

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK
Edm & Montreal for two. And he plays Boro precisely because he needs more toughness in the lineup & if you don't like it you should watch European hockey or women's hockey.

Yeah man the darn Chicago Blackhawks winning the cup and taking it back to Europe

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I don't think its fair to Neil to drag Boro into the conversation.

Neil is a bonafide NHL winger who has played the enforcer role his entire career. He made himself into a hockey player that can contribute. He has earned what should be some respect from Sens fans for dropping them and earning his money the way he does.

Boro has done none of this. Don't drag Neil into the Boro / Cameron thing.

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
I'm alright with the re-signing. Just not the time to announce it really. Feel like they could've gotten him for 500k less. Not a lot but it matters on a budget. Idk why they did it now instead of later in the year since it could handcuff us later while we're trying to re-sign hoff, ceci, prince.

Basically I'm meh about it but part of me says to stop accepting meh from this team.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Yeah man the darn Chicago Blackhawks winning the cup and taking it back to Europe

My favourite Western team.

Wrong again. Edmonton are middle of the pack in terms of height and weight. Montreal are in the last third, but not as low as you think. The Sens are near the top, and look where it got them...

http://mirtle.blogspot.ca/2015/10/2015-16-nhl-teams-by-height-weight-and.html

Their GM just said they have to get bigger, were you not listening.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Neil has shown that he can adapt and do whatever it takes to stay in the league. Sens lifer. Good for him. Good for the team.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Their GM just said they have to get bigger, were you not listening.

No, I was listening. Still doesn't help your argument because one GM said so. Did you even check the link? Your arguments don't jive with actual facts.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Rather use his roster spot on someone younger. Rather use is contract spot on someone else

Doesnt really bother me though. This move probably doesnt hurt the team and its likely that there isnt much upside to not signing him

This.

As long as whoever coaches this team next season isn't afraid of scratching him, I'm good with the extension.

And this.

I realize the Sens desperately want some heritage and to boast a career Sen. But damn...that privilege is more for a guy like Phillips, not a career 4th liner. But now I can see why this team can never get a solid 60 minutes. The organization itself obviously isn't as focused on winning as it should be.

ToastrStutzle

Feb 1, 2016
Ottawa
Don't mind this at all.

If 1 4th line roster spot is going to be the difference between us being a bad team and a good team then there is a bigger problem.

As a new franchise it's nice to have guys getting to the 1000 milestone with us. Helps to build some history.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I don't like it, but at least it's only a year.

What really needs to happen is Neil CANNOT be a regular on the roster next year like this one. He should only play half or 2/3 of the games. Keep him fresh. Don't sit young guys like Prince (or White or whoever crack the roster next year) in his favour.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Bad Deal.

We need a GM that wants to win

They all want to win; however, some of them have less than stellar records at doing it.

I am happy for Neil and look forward to seeing him get 1,000 games.

The downside is that this does not make the team better. But $1.5 M is not going to do that. So . . .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad