Confirmed with Link: Chris Neil Extended 1 year 1.5 Million

c_mak

Jan 15, 2004
Waterloo
Maybe it's an older person attitude, but I celebrate when I see someone rewarded for their dedication and loyalty, or maybe it's the military's effect on me. But, I mean, it's really nice to see that there are some people in management and ownership that value these things in an age and society where people are just replaceable throw-aways.

For some crazy reason we tend to be OK with people being tossed away the moment it appears as though they have seen better days. Oddly enough, this is not an attitude that ANY of us would want to see happen to ourselves or anyone we care for in their workplace, and yet we tend to race to the bottom by attacking each other rather than those you support a system that treats workers like replaceable parts.

We should be supporting each others' successes, and being happy for a workplace that has compassion and loyalty to the workers. We should recognize that our personal desires for a sports team to win, should never become more important to us that the treatment of our fellow people. Not after a moment of thought.

So often we allow how much a person makes to be an excuse for how some people are allowed to be treated, or how we feel we are entitled to treat people, as though people deserve less compassion and humanity because they have more money than we do. We plugs that keep the machine going focus our disdain on the wealthier workers, rather than on those that hoard the wealth to begin with. Keeps us focused on the moot, keeps us raging on each other, while the power group gets smaller and more consolidated.

We don't get more because we don't fight for it, don't focus on it, and don't deserve it. We seem to enjoy watching people fail so much more than people succeeding, like their failures validate our own; misery loves company and all that.

Not so much of a surprise when our culture has moved away from areas of positive collaborative study such as philosophy (viewed as a joke study area in Uni) in favour of sciences, math, engineering, etc... Getting a job coming out of university, becoming a functioning member of the workforce, is no different now than it was in the industrialization era. What we need is a focus on critical thought and debate, celebrate the growth of the human spirit, of right and wrong, morals and ethics. We need a new period of enlightenment, but it's next to impossible when the areas that lead to the development of such thinking have been methodically crushed from elementary school to university.

We should never be OK we saying so much of what gets said in here, and I'm no bleeding heart. This board is sometimes the most brutal and harsh environment, where devoid of accountability so many of us get truly nasty, and for many it's constant.

Why is that?

Chris Neil has worked hard every minute of his 15 or so years with this team and deserves a retirement with the single team he has played and bled for. Some of you behave as though he has loafed for 1000 games, when the reality is that he has throttled the league for every single one of those games. When it seemed the leagued was passing him by he hit the gym hard over the summer to lose weight and gain speed, making him relevant again as a fourth line winger. This is a man who works hard to keep his job, never once being able to relax and rely on skill or draft position. So he gets a one year deal to get his 1000th game in, and people here are upset at this? As though the replacement fourth line winger is going to make a difference? As though the players in the room have nothing to gain by playing with a 4th line grinder who has managed to stay in the league for 1000 games? I mean Phaneuf credits Brian Marchment for crying out loud, as being one of the main influences on why he was able to become a steady professional in the league.

As a bonus, these kids need to play with role models (maybe Yak/Drouin would be better young professional players for example), and there is much to be gained from Neil for our young pros looking to become professionals in this league, AND he can still take a solid regular shift. There is a difference between role models that have retired and work with the team, and a few legends still playing; let's let our kids hove both while we can.

Hahaha, so there's that...

Wow! :handclap: Well put. I've watched Neil his entire career and love having him on the Sens.
Remember when Leafs came calling and he turned them down!!! Loyalty needs to be rewarded

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Loyalty and career Senator mattered more to me before Alfredsson left for Detroit.

At this point I don't care anymore. It's a business. I'm just thankful it's 1 year and 1.5 million.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
I do agree that Alfredsson to an extent tarnished his legacy in Ottawa, when he signed with Detroit.

But at the same time, who can blame him. He knew that Ottawa wasn't going nowhere and thought it was time for the new generation to take over instead of him claiming important icetime and "leadership space". It might've even benefitted the team.

Resigning Neil is not a problem for me. I like him and he's not what is wrong with this team. He gets 12-13 minutes and usually look pretty decent, plays with heart, delivers some hits, stands up for teammates and even pitch in with a few goals.

What this team needs isn't an upgrade of the bottom-6, it's an upgrade of the top-6.

Especially the centers, who haven't done us any favours this season. Turris is injured and Zibanejad is....Zibanebad.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I do agree that Alfredsson to an extent tarnished his legacy in Ottawa, when he signed with Detroit.

But at the same time, who can blame him. He knew that Ottawa wasn't going nowhere and thought it was time for the new generation to take over instead of him claiming important icetime and "leadership space". It might've even benefitted the team.

Resigning Neil is not a problem for me. I like him and he's not what is wrong with this team. He gets 12-13 minutes and usually look pretty decent, plays with heart, delivers some hits, stands up for teammates and even pitch in with a few goals.

What this team needs isn't an upgrade of the bottom-6, it's an upgrade of the top-6.

Especially the centers, who haven't done us any favours this season. Turris is injured and Zibanejad is....Zibanebad.

I don't blame him - I'm just saying in my mind I had this idea we'd keep Alfredsson, Phillips, Neil and likely Spezza on the team for their whole careers. That died when Alfredsson left.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I don't blame him - I'm just saying in my mind I had this idea we'd keep Alfredsson, Phillips, Neil and likely Spezza on the team for their whole careers. That died when Alfredsson left.

I also don't know why we put more importance in keeping guys like Phillips and Neil over guys like hossa and havlat and chara. Yes salary cap.

If we were to keep guys for their whole career, we should have targeted all stars. Not bottom half of the lineup players.

We better keep karlsson for his whole career instead of borowiecki for example.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I also don't know why we put more importance in keeping guys like Phillips and Neil over guys like hossa and havlat and chara. Yes salary cap.

If we were to keep guys for their whole career, we should have targeted all stars. Not bottom half of the lineup players.

We better keep karlsson for his whole career instead of borowiecki for example.

Alfredsson was the linchpin of the modern franchise up until he left.

Essentially my 'dream' was Alfredsson and a bunch of bodies. Whether it was Hossa or Neil - it didn't matter to me.

Phillips was drafted 1st OA really early on in the modern franchise. Neil had stuck around long. Phillips was a key player at a certain point - never lived up offensively but he was a great shutdown guy for years and years. Neil had a big impact on many of our rivalry years with the Leafs and Sabres.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Such a small price to keep a guy ,that literally bled our colors .Iam more than fine with deal :handclap:

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Maybe it's an older person attitude, but I celebrate when I see someone rewarded for their dedication and loyalty, or maybe it's the military's effect on me. But, I mean, it's really nice to see that there are some people in management and ownership that value these things in an age and society where people are just replaceable throw-aways.

For some crazy reason we tend to be OK with people being tossed away the moment it appears as though they have seen better days. Oddly enough, this is not an attitude that ANY of us would want to see happen to ourselves or anyone we care for in their workplace, and yet we tend to race to the bottom by attacking each other rather than those you support a system that treats workers like replaceable parts.

We should be supporting each others' successes, and being happy for a workplace that has compassion and loyalty to the workers. We should recognize that our personal desires for a sports team to win, should never become more important to us that the treatment of our fellow people. Not after a moment of thought.

So often we allow how much a person makes to be an excuse for how some people are allowed to be treated, or how we feel we are entitled to treat people, as though people deserve less compassion and humanity because they have more money than we do. We plugs that keep the machine going focus our disdain on the wealthier workers, rather than on those that hoard the wealth to begin with. Keeps us focused on the moot, keeps us raging on each other, while the power group gets smaller and more consolidated.

We don't get more because we don't fight for it, don't focus on it, and don't deserve it. We seem to enjoy watching people fail so much more than people succeeding, like their failures validate our own; misery loves company and all that.

Not so much of a surprise when our culture has moved away from areas of positive collaborative study such as philosophy (viewed as a joke study area in Uni) in favour of sciences, math, engineering, etc... Getting a job coming out of university, becoming a functioning member of the workforce, is no different now than it was in the industrialization era. What we need is a focus on critical thought and debate, celebrate the growth of the human spirit, of right and wrong, morals and ethics. We need a new period of enlightenment, but it's next to impossible when the areas that lead to the development of such thinking have been methodically crushed from elementary school to university.

We should never be OK we saying so much of what gets said in here, and I'm no bleeding heart. This board is sometimes the most brutal and harsh environment, where devoid of accountability so many of us get truly nasty, and for many it's constant.

Why is that?

Chris Neil has worked hard every minute of his 15 or so years with this team and deserves a retirement with the single team he has played and bled for. Some of you behave as though he has loafed for 1000 games, when the reality is that he has throttled the league for every single one of those games. When it seemed the leagued was passing him by he hit the gym hard over the summer to lose weight and gain speed, making him relevant again as a fourth line winger. This is a man who works hard to keep his job, never once being able to relax and rely on skill or draft position. So he gets a one year deal to get his 1000th game in, and people here are upset at this? As though the replacement fourth line winger is going to make a difference? As though the players in the room have nothing to gain by playing with a 4th line grinder who has managed to stay in the league for 1000 games? I mean Phaneuf credits Brian Marchment for crying out loud, as being one of the main influences on why he was able to become a steady professional in the league.

As a bonus, these kids need to play with role models (maybe Yak/Drouin would be better young professional players for example), and there is much to be gained from Neil for our young pros looking to become professionals in this league, AND he can still take a solid regular shift. There is a difference between role models that have retired and work with the team, and a few legends still playing; let's let our kids hove both while we can.

Hahaha, so there's that...

Well said.

I'm happy to have Neil for another year.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I still can't believe "some people" don't see what he brings to the team. :shakehead

I imagine it's a lot of the younger fans and also those who also hate Phillips for similar reasons. There is a limit to rewarding loyalty of course, but some people want to be even more cut-throat and businesslike. I can understand their points of view, I just don't necessarily share it.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

Alfredsson didn't tarnish his legacy, the Ottawa Senators were the ones guilty of that

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
I imagine it's a lot of the younger fans and also those who also hate Phillips for similar reasons. There is a limit to rewarding loyalty of course, but some people want to be even more cut-throat and businesslike. I can understand their points of view, I just don't necessarily share it.

I think it's just a function of having a better educated fanbase. 10 years ago, sites like General Fanager didn't exist. Now the average fan has access to all these different resources and can easy how executives are mismanaging assets.

With regard to the second sentence that's bolded:
1) Not re-signing him wouldn't be cut-throat. They signed him to a 4 year deal and paid him every dollar he was owed. Cut-throat would be if they buried him in the minors or something. I think it's perfectly fine to just say "Hey, Chris. We can't say enough about what you did for this team and the community while you were under contract with us. We'll always appreciate it and if you're ever looking for a coaching /player personnel role down the road our door is always open. Thanks."

2) I can excuse a business for acting businesslike. That's what businesses do, after all.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I think it's just a function of having a better educated fanbase. 10 years ago, sites like General Fanager didn't exist. Now the average fan has access to all these different resources and can easy how executives are mismanaging assets.

With regard to the second sentence that's bolded:
1) Not re-signing him wouldn't be cut-throat. They signed him to a 4 year deal and paid him every dollar he was owed. Cut-throat would be if they buried him in the minors or something. I think it's perfectly fine to just say "Hey, Chris. We can't say enough about what you did for this team and the community while you were under contract with us. We'll always appreciate it and if you're ever looking for a coaching /player personnel role down the road our door is always open. Thanks."

2) I can excuse a business for acting businesslike. That's what businesses do, after all.

Uhg. This, in a nut shell, is one of the major things wrong with our society right now.

Lazy, apathetic way of thinking, coupled with blind acceptance of things "just because".

With thoughts like this, can we really believe we deserve better?

I don't mean to zone in on you personally, we all do it, your post just painted a Rembrandt to illustrate it.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Biggest massive criticism of this team is on our 12th forward Neil and 6th D Boro. Likely both are 12/13th next year and 6/7th.

So the problems of the team are the 12th forward and 6th D. Making minimal money who literally bleed the most for the team and are leaders that leave everything on the ice. Lead team in hits. Cheap players likely to be transitioned to floaters and scratched routinely next year.

If you want to roast the owner, GM and Coach and the "evidence" of failure is our two toughest players playing minimal minutes for minimal money.

Maybe nothing is wrong.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Uhg. This, in a nut shell, is one of the major things wrong with our society right now.

Lazy, apathetic way of thinking, coupled with blind acceptance of things "just because".

With thoughts like this, can we really believe we deserve better?

I don't mean to zone in on you personally, we all do it, your post just painted a Rembrandt to illustrate it.

It depends on the circumstance.

Would you be happy in your workplace doing the work of 2 or 3 people simply because a company wants to be sentimental to workers who simply can't do the job anymore? It may be a nice thing to do, but in the long run, it isn't fair to you.

I doubt some kid in Bingo making $65k is happy knowing someone who likely should be on the roster is taking up that last roster spot and earning NHL money.

That's the thing. It's easy to look at things from a sentimental and empathetic view (and it's something we should be doing)....but that doesn't mean there's no downside. In this scenario, a kid who should be on the roster making $600k and starting to rack up the games (not just for NHL stats, but for the NHL pension later on) is delayed for another season. Same thing in the workplace. Keeping a legacy employee who can't do the job anymore, puts more work on the shoulders of the other workers, and delays a young person from getting that much needed experience and foot in the door.

No matter which way you go, there will always be a winner and a loser.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
The enormous group of anti-size-queens on HFSens astounds me.

I'm not in favor of fielding a team of enforcers like Burke did in Toronto but is it really such a big deal to keep a bit of toughness on this team? You can criticize guys like Neil and Boro for a lot of things, but they do bring a unique element to this team and have a value that doesn't necessarily get captured on the score sheet.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012

I'm not in favor of fielding a team of enforcers like Burke did in Toronto but is it really such a big deal to keep a bit of toughness on this team? You can criticize guys like Neil and Boro for a lot of things, but they do bring a unique element to this team and have a value that doesn't necessarily get captured on the score sheet.

That's not the issue. The issue is when the one dimension that they do bring doesn't make up for their shortcomings in all the other areas.

Saying all of that, I don't mind Neil and Boro on the team as long as their roles are well defined and are not playing all the time. Neil should be a 13th forward and Boro should be a 7th D. Going in and out of lineup as needed.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
It depends on the circumstance.

Would you be happy in your workplace doing the work of 2 or 3 people simply because a company wants to be sentimental to workers who simply can't do the job anymore? It may be a nice thing to do, but in the long run, it isn't fair to you.

I doubt some kid in Bingo making $65k is happy knowing someone who likely should be on the roster is taking up that last roster spot and earning NHL money.

That's the thing. It's easy to look at things from a sentimental and empathetic view (and it's something we should be doing)....but that doesn't mean there's no downside. In this scenario, a kid who should be on the roster making $600k and starting to rack up the games (not just for NHL stats, but for the NHL pension later on) is delayed for another season. Same thing in the workplace. Keeping a legacy employee who can't do the job anymore, puts more work on the shoulders of the other workers, and delays a young person from getting that much needed experience and foot in the door.

No matter which way you go, there will always be a winner and a loser.

Agreed with everything.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

If our size had skill like Stone, Zibby or Paul, I'd do cartwheels* down the 417. Pure size nowadays doesn't accomplish much if there isn't some skill to go with it.

*make that one cartwheel, and then a quick call to the paramedics

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
...oh, let's not get into the Alfredsson thing again.

It never happened.

hJcftq9m.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad