Salary Cap: Chris MacFarland - Record as Avalanche GM (Updates In First Post)

How would you rate the job Chris MacFarland has done to date as Avalanche GM? (editable)

• Total voters

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
No, I was just talking about assets and contribution this year, because that's what everyone is focused on.

If I was talking about all the factors to this, I'd point out that CMac said he sees Ritchie as a potential 2C, and that you're purposefully ignoring Henrique is close in points and a better goal scorer, better PKer, and better faceoff guy, where the Avs need help, and leaving out that MIttelsdadt could cost $7M to re-sign, and cost someone else on the team.

But I thought it was better to just make record of the alternative trade available, than get into all that here.

Or we can say:

Casey Mittlestadt
Sean Walker

For

Bowen Byram
2025 1st
Ryan Johansen

That looks 10x better than what the Oilers got.

Oh and that Mittlestadt is better than Henrique. So there's that too.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
CMac Trades:

Mittlestadt for Bo - remains to be seen, but addresses a problem - tentative B+
Walker for RyJo+- remains to be seen, but addresses a problem - tentative A
Bardakhov for MacD- who knows, but we dropped salary - tentative B
Dumping Tatar - resolved a bad fit - B
Caleb Jones for Callahan - B
Colton for a 2nd - A
Fairbrother/Gulyayev/Gauthier for Newhook - who knows - tentative C+
RyJo for Galchenyuk - hard to say, RyJo was a bad fit, but Galchenyuk was a bullet we dodged - I'd say E given we had to spend a 1st to dump RyJo
Olofsson for future considerations - C
Rydahl for Blidh - C
Lars Eller for a 2nd - F
JJ for Englund - B
Kinkaid for Bowers - D
Nieto/Merkley for Kaut/MacDonald - C
Malgin for Hunt - C

CMac Signings:

MacK - A-
Toews - A+
Nuke - B+
Lehky - B+
Byram - B
Wood - C
Tatar - C
Parise - A
Drouin - A
Cogs - A
+ a bunch of smaller less impactful singings.

CMac has been better than people want to give him credit for.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
CMac Trades:

Mittlestadt for Bo - remains to be seen, but addresses a problem - tentative B+
Walker for RyJo+- remains to be seen, but addresses a problem - tentative A
Bardakhov for MacD- who knows, but we dropped salary - tentative B
Dumping Tatar - resolved a bad fit - B
Caleb Jones for Callahan - B
Colton for a 2nd - A
Fairbrother/Gulyayev/Gauthier for Newhook - who knows - tentative C+
RyJo for Galchenyuk - hard to say, RyJo was a bad fit, but Galchenyuk was a bullet we dodged - I'd say E given we had to spend a 1st to dump RyJo
Olofsson for future considerations - C
Rydahl for Blidh - C
Lars Eller for a 2nd - F
JJ for Englund - B
Kinkaid for Bowers - D
Nieto/Merkley for Kaut/MacDonald - C
Malgin for Hunt - C

CMac Signings:

MacK - A-
Toews - A+
Nuke - B+
Lehky - B+
Byram - B
Wood - C
Tatar - C
Parise - A
Drouin - A
Cogs - A
+ a bunch of smaller less impactful singings.

CMac has been better than people want to give him credit for.

You are harsh as f*** lol, I'd actually be a grade up or at least a plus on quite a few of those.

Respect though 👏

I just put a ton of weight on the previous TDL, and off season. If it's simple percentage, he's an awesome GM.

For me though, if you can't pull the trigger in the end to be aggressive, and you waste two contending years you've got to go. We have maybe 6 or 7 total if being generous.

Sakic wasted a couple of years, got a Cup.. Sakic is a God, Cmac is not, yet. If he burned this year he had to go.

But he didn't.. There is more to do, but I'm f***ing happy.

Like literally I'm over here talking about the D on the right side, being something that needs to be fixed going into the season. The 2C I was hopeful with Ryjo.

He's set this team up to contend for longer grabbing a guy that has a lot of prime years left for the 2C spot.

We have all if the most important pieces outside of our starter being a question going forward.

The core is sick.. Mack, Makar, Mikko, Nuke, Mitts, Toews, and Landy (until proven otherwise) You should always be in the fight if you can fill in around that for the playoffs for the next 4 to 6 years.

That is your top pair, your top 2 centers, and your top two wings. Nothing else is really that f***in hard to get reasonably in season. God I needed that shit to stop. It's obvious Cmac will make deals, but the f***er has ice for blood.

Last edited:

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I upped him from a 2 to a 3 after yesterday, whatever he does before Friday doesn't move the needle much for me. He had quite a solid day yesterday, and that redeems him a little bit in my eyes.

The Good
  • Newhook/Colton back to back trades, walking away with an extra first. Probably his best move in my eyes.
  • Hopefully Byram/Mittelstadt works out the way it should
The Terrible
  • Letting Kadri walk
  • Thew away a cup year. JT2C... jesus f***ing christ...
  • Almost two years without a proper 2C during the cup window. Inexcusable.
  • RyJo debacle and having to spend a 1st, in part, just to get rid of him
The Meh
  • MacKinnon's contract

All in all I give him a B- leaning towards a B if Mittelstadt works out and they get past the second round this year. Most of his good is making up for his mistakes. I acknowledge that a lot of GMs around the league I'd trust significantly less than cMac, but I'm not going to be polishing his knob like most on this board.

He's been a modestly bad GM who found a way to redeem himself in the 11th hour. He's bought himself some breathing room.

Honestly, cMac got lucky as f*** Buffalo - for some weird reason - decided to trade Mittelstadt in-season. Such a weird move for them as they'd have significantly more suitors in the offseason. Buffalo saved his ass big time.

Last edited:

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
I rated 1 at last deadline. Moves since then made me change the rating to 4.

I forgot he sent MacDermid away, lowering to 3

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Roll call for all you fools who were calling for McFarland head.

You know who you are. You should be ashamed.
I'm glad he finally went and properly addressed the needs of this team. But I'm not going to give a free pass on ignoring the obvious needs of last season. That was a complete waste of MacK's cap savings and a prime year of competing for MacK, Mikko and Makar.

Also still mad that he re-signed Manson over Kadri. Finding a top 4 D would have be easier than fixing our 2C problem. We could still have Bo on a good contract for 2 years and a fantastic 2C in Kadri. Or Bo could have still been moved to help the team in other ways.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Roll call for all you fools who were calling for McFarland head.

You know who you are. You should be ashamed.
Were there people calling for his head? I know I was on record saying he should be sacked by Sakic if he wasted a Hart-caliber season by Nate, but that obviously isn’t the case now.

Whatever happens, I’m glad he and the organization admitted failure with Johansen and took the necessary steps to correct it. And what’s more, he actually freed up cap room while upgrading the team in two key areas.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I'm glad he finally went and properly addressed the needs of this team. But I'm not going to give a free pass on ignoring the obvious needs of last season. That was a complete waste of MacK's cap savings and a prime year of competing for MacK, Mikko and Makar.

Also still mad that he re-signed Manson over Kadri. Finding a top 4 D would have be easier than fixing our 2C problem. We could still have Bo on a good contract for 2 years and a fantastic 2C in Kadri. Or Bo could have still been moved to help the team in other ways.

It's a bit crazy how cMac does one moderately good thing and all of a sudden the last dozen shit things he did never happened.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
It's a bit crazy how cMac does one moderately good thing and all of a sudden the last dozen shit things he did never happened.
One moderately good thing?

The following are all wins:

Wood
Colton
Drouin
Parise
Dumping RyJo/Getting Walker
Mittelstadt

It seems like you have a strong bias against him that you cannot see he's actually done a lot of good for this team. He's not without his issues, and he's f***ed up a few times too, but he's hardly only done one moderately good thing.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
He's not the CNap anymore
McFarland.gif

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The best part about the last couple days is that AFTER loading up this year and addressing critical needs, we still have Ritchie, Gulyayev, Behrens, and the '24 1st in our pockets. The additions are all great, but managing to aggressively plug all of these holes in this trade market without giving up any of our top prospects is borderline wizardry.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
The best part about the last couple days is that AFTER loading up this year and addressing critical needs, we still have Ritchie, Gulyayev, Behrens, and the '24 1st in our pockets. The additions are all great, but managing to aggressively plug all of these holes in this trade market without giving up any of our top prospects is borderline wizardry.

It's pretty remarkable. I thought most of the assets would be gone by now. Good job.

He is building new organizational depth at the same time improving the team alot. Super impressive.

They are making sure we will be good for along time, not for two years.

Reactions: AllAboutAvs

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
How about now?

You mean after acquiring Trenin and Duhaime? these two dont move the needle too much for me, so still a 3 for now. may change to a 4 later depending on the impact these guys (and Mitt) have on the incoming playoffs. the way I see it, the make or break moment for him will be the next off-season, regardless on how deep we go this time. (a lot of contracts to re-sign and need to put an end on the goalie situation, figure out what to do regarding Lando and Nuke, etc)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad