Salary Cap: Chris MacFarland - Record as Avalanche GM (Updates In First Post)

How would you rate the job Chris MacFarland has done to date as Avalanche GM? (editable)

• Total voters

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
I wanted to kinda "strangle" him after last season. Yes, i have no problem to admit that.

BUT, i still said, a month ago, i´m looking forward to this years TDL and i remain positive that this time our GM gets going (although i had some fears in my mind).

And boy, did he deliver so far. I take off my hat to you Mr. MacFarland.

Hats Off GIF - Respect Hats Off - Discover & Share GIFs.gif

CmAC has more than rehabilitated himself for last seasons TDL. What a show so far. And it aint over yet.....:naughty:

I am absolutely sure he will bring in a new goalie and depth on our 3RD D-pair. And maybe he still has something bigger cookin.....

Listening around the league the AVS are seen as one of the clear winners this TDL so far.

You mean after acquiring Trenin and Duhaime? these two dont move the needle too much for me, so still a 3 for now. may change to a 4 later depending on the impact these guys (and Mitt) have on the incoming playoffs. the way I see it, the make or break moment for him will be the next off-season, regardless on how deep we go this time. (a lot of contracts to re-sign and need to put an end on the goalie situation, figure out what to do regarding Lando and Nuke, etc)

All true.

But if the trades he made/makes now helps us winning another cup in the end, i can live with the tough decisions which have to be made.

Last edited:
Reactions: CobraAcesS

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
But if the trades he made/makes now helps us winning another cup in the end, i can live with the tough decision which have to be made.

oh definitely. since our window clock is ticking, if we can get another cup this year, screw the rest. but in case we dont, CMac better be prepared for the work he will have in the offseason. we probably wont have much other chances after next season and maybe, one after?

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
oh definitely. since our window clock is ticking, if we can get another cup this year, screw the rest. but in case we dont, CMac better be prepared for the work he will have in the offseason. we probably wont have much other chances after next season and maybe, one after?

Thats life in this league with a hard cap. Thats why you have to go for it as long as there is a chance and deal with the rest afterwards. Our next rebuild will come soon enough, but not yet. This core still has at least 2 years for cup-hunting, imho.....

Good teams can stretch their window with good drafting.. We are still not good in this department..... sadly...

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
Thats life in this league with a hard cap. Thats why you have to go for it as long as there is a chance and deal with the rest afterwards. Our next rebuild will come soon enough, but not yet. This core still has at least 2 years for cup-hunting, imho.....

Good teams can stretch their window with good drafting.. We are still not good in this department..... sadly...

since he already failed last year, if we dont win this year, my guess is that they will give CMac one more season to redeem himself. after that, they will give him the boot and try to squeeze a second cup with a different GM, for the final years of our window. then, rebuild. so I see CMac in a hot seat if things dont work out this season. Bednar on the other hand I can see being kept for all the remaining years, for better or for worse.

Richard Doll

Feb 18, 2020
Saint Albans, Vermont
I wanted to kinda "strangle" him after last season. Yes, i have no problem to admit that.

BUT, i still said, a month ago, i´m looking forward to this years TDL and i remain positive that this time our GM gets going (although i had some fears in my mind).

And boy, did he deliver so far. I take off my hat to you Mr. MacFarland.

View attachment 832031

CmAC has more than rehabilitated himself for last seasons TDL. What a show so far. And it aint over yet.....:naughty:

I am absolutely sure he will bring in a new goalie and depth on our 3RD D-pair. And maybe he still has something bigger cookin.....

Listening around the league the AVS are seen as one of the clear winners this TDL so far.

All true.

But if the trades he made/makes now helps us winning another cup in the end, i can live with the tough decisions which have to be made.
I didn't have any issues with him getting Ellers last year, was a little bit of an over pay, but I didn't mind the add, he was brought in to play bottom 6. My issue is he went back to bed after that trade.

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
CMac's 2023-24 In Season Moves

Trades

• Oct 10 - Trades Cal Burke to Carolina for Caleb Jones
  • Dec 15 - Trades Tomas Tatar to Seattle for a 5th round pick in 2024
  • Mar 01 - Trades Kurtis MacDermid to New Jersey for Zakhar Bardakov and Nashville's 2024 7th round pick
  • Mar 06 - Trades Ryan Johansen and a top 10 protected 2025 1st round pick, to Philadelphia, for Sean Walker and a 2026 5th round pick
  • Mar 06 - Trades Bo Byram to Buffalo for Casey Mittelsdadt
  • Mar 07 - Trades 2026 3rd round pick to Minnesota for Brandon Duhaime
  • Mar 07 - Trades Jeremy Hanzel and 2025 3rd round pick to Nashville, for Yakov Trenin and Graham Sward
  • Mar 08 - Trades Ben Meyers to Anaheim for 2024 5th round pick

UFA, RFA, Pending UFA, and Prospect Signings

• Oct 13 - Signs Devon Toews to 7 x 7.25M deal. Full NMC first two years, then 12 team NTC.
  • Nov 12 - Signs Joel Kiviranta to a one year two way deal. $250k in AHL with a $275k guarantee. $775k in NHL.
  • Jan 26 - Signs Zach Parise to a one year $825k deal. Pro-rated to $360,938 per Frank Seravalli.

Last edited:

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
CMac's 2024 In Season Moves

Trades

• Mar 01 - Trades Kurtis MacDermid to New Jersey for Zakhar Bardakov and Nashville's 2024 7th round pick
  • Mar 06 - Trades Ryan Johansen and a top 10 protected 2025 1st round pick, to Philadelphia, for Sean Walker and a 2026 5th round pick
  • Mar 06 - Trades 2026 3rd round pick to Minnesota for Brandon Duhaime
  • Mar 07 - Trades Jeremy Hanzel and 2025 3rd round pick to Nashville, for Yakov Trenin and Graham Sward

• Oct 13 - Signs Devon Toews to 7 x 7.25M deal. Full NMC first two years, then 12 team NTC.
  • Nov 12 - Signs Joel Kiviranta to a one year two way deal. $250k in AHL with a $275k guarantee. $775k in NHL.
  • Jan 26 - Signs Zach Parise to a one year $825k deal. Pro-rated to $360,938 per Frank Seravalli.
Malinski?

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
CMac's 2024 In Season Moves

Trades

• Mar 06 - Trades 2026 3rd round pick to Minnesota for Brandon Duhaime

Minor correction; the Duhaime trade was yesterday(March 7) and not March 6.

Reactions: Foppa2118

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
My thoughts are that McFarland tried to make more shrewd moves to try and fix Avs's holes like getting RyJo for free and saving picks/young players. Then after the moves did not work, he decided to spend more and more on players, especially those that can be retained. I would expect him to have the same approach in the future as well; stay conservative for the most part and see if problems can be fixed within and if not, then he has no problem making a big splash.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
My thoughts are that McFarland tried to make more shrewd moves to try and fix Avs's holes like getting RyJo for free and saving picks/young players. Then after the moves did not work, he decided to spend more and more on players, especially those that can be retained. I would expect him to have the same approach in the future as well; stay conservative for the most part and see if problems can be fixed within and if not, then he has no problem making a big splash.

Now that he's actually done it I'm much more open to the narrative that he really didn't believe the team had a legit shot.

I'd like him to turn the dial up a year or so though lol.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Now that he's actually done it I'm much more open to the narrative that he really didn't believe the team had a legit shot.

I'd like him to turn the dial up a year or so though lol.

And/or some trades might have fallen apart last year. There were some better options than Eller, that got hurt right before the deadline.

Henrique had a lower body injury a couple weeks before the deadline and missed 18 games. He seems like a CMac kind of target too not being a pure rental with another year left on his deal.

I feel like there was another 2C option that got hurt too but it's escaping me.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
And/or some trades might have fallen apart last year. There were some better options than Eller, that got hurt right before the deadline.

Henrique had a lower body injury a couple weeks before the deadline and missed 18 games. He seems like a CMac kind of target too not being a pure rental with another year left on his deal.

I feel like there was another 2C option that got hurt too but it's escaping me.

Monahan?

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
So I think most of the business taken care of this year was really good. Not just the trades and free agent signings, the NCAA FA signings as well. It’s given them some much-needed depth at the NHL and AHL levels so that they’re not just calling up old farts to fill in when the inevitable injuries hit.

Also glad CMac knew when to admit failure and move on with Tatar and Johansen. Can’t complain anymore about his job this year. If had shored up the goaltending it would’ve been perfect but alas this is about as good as we could ask for.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
People here were bitching about CMac not getting Lindholm or even Monahan and that he was taking way too long to do something. Lindholm has 1A in his last 10 games. The honeymoon with Monahan in Winnipeg seems to be over now with 1A in his last 5 games.

Mitts has now 2 pts in 3 games. Hopefully it is not a honeymoon like Monahan in Winnipeg. I think his scoring will be a lot more consistent while playing unbelievable defense.

He also got Walker to replace Byram while dumping arguably the worst "top-6" player in Avs history.

And then to top it off he gets us two great bottom-6 players to improve our depth.

Fantastic TDL. IMO it made us a top-2 SC contender along with Florida while retaining our major assets.

Last edited:

UnkleKraker

May 31, 2007
Washington State
People here were bitching about CMac not getting Lindholm or even Monahan and that he was taking way too long to do something. Lindholm has 1A in his last 10 games. The honeymoon with Monahan in Winnipeg seems to be over now with 1A in his last 5 games.

Mitts has now 2 pts in 3 games. Hopefully it is not a honeymoon like Monahan in Winnipeg. I think his scoring will be a lot more consistent while playing unbelievable defense.

He also got Walker to replace Byram while dumping arguably the worst "top-6" player in Avs history.

And then to top it off he gets us two great bottom-6 players to improve our depth.

Fantastic TDL. IMO it made us a top-2 SC contender along with Florida while retaining our major assets.
1710433856598.png

• Haha
Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad