Salary Cap: Chris MacFarland - Record as Avalanche GM (Updates In First Post)

How would you rate the job Chris MacFarland has done to date as Avalanche GM? (editable)

• Total voters

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Seriously though, I can only really rationalize 4/5 still being the majority by calling everyone lazy. 😆

The 5/5 people must have all just straight forgotten this thread exists.

I'm still at 4/5. I don't see any real reason to change it before seeing his deadline moves. I might have to change it back.

There should never have been an expectation that he'd make moves early, when both CMac, and most GM's wait until the deadline for cap reasons anyway, and because that's when most selling GM's give in and accept deals. He can't force other GM's to make deals early.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I'm still at 4/5. I don't see any real reason to change it before seeing his deadline moves. I might have to change it back.

There should never have been an expectation that he'd make moves early, when both CMac, and most GM's wait until the deadline for cap reasons anyway, and because that's when most selling GM's give in and accept deals. He can't force other GM's to make deals early.

Ryjo is a giant turd left unflushed. So was keeping Manson over Kadri. I supported the moves at the time as well, but I'm not the GM.

George might also be another miss..

Oh I totally get waiting until the TDL, but for me he'll go from a 3/5 to a 1/5 if he does nothing.

The excuse that the deals were just not there seems perpetual at this point.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Ryjo is a giant turd left unflushed. So was keeping Manson over Kadri. I supported the moves at the time as well, but I'm not the GM.

Oh I totally get waiting until the TDL, but for me he'll go from a 3/5 to a 1/5 if he does nothing.

That made me literally LMAO. Congrats.

• Haha
Reactions: CobraAcesS

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I don't believe it was a decision on Manson vs Kadri. I think he was just above a price they could afford either way. It was rumored they'd take him back in the $6M's and he went for $7M.

I think that's just become a common talking point, because it fits both the 2C and the Manson sucks narrative from last season when he was injured. Josh has been very good this year though.

We'll see on George. They need cheap goaltending to afford their expensive core.

As for RJ. He hasn't played well, but he's been better lately, and has a history of stepping up in the playoffs. So he can still pull off a Darren Helm. If he doesn't, he'll be a bad move.

Avs could use an offensive 4C to play between Parise and possibly Landy. Playing with Parise has motivated him. Maybe he sees himself as that guy.

iu

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I don't believe it was a decision on Manson vs Kadri. I think he was just above a price they could afford either way. It was rumored they'd take him back in the $6M's and he went for $7M.

I think that's just become a common talking point, because it fits both the 2C and the Manson sucks narrative from last season when he was injured. He's been very good this year.

We'll see on George. They need cheap goaltending to afford their expensive core.

As for RJ. He hasn't played well, but he's been better lately, and has a history of stepping up in the playoffs. So he can still pull off a Darren Helm. If he doesn't, he'll be a bad move.

Avs could use an offensive 4C to play between Parise and possibly Landy. Playing with Parise has motivated him. Maybe he sees himself as that guy.

iu

I'll admit I view it more like a old counter balance scale, than if I agreed with his moves up until this point. Once the shit pile grows to a certain point the scale tips hard. He has tools we do not.

His first year had a lot of difficulty, and I'm actually rooting for him, but it's unacceptable to be passive with contending years.

I'm judging Kadri vs Manson at Kadri's full cap hit. I can't imagine 1M per year made it a forced decision in favor of keeping Manson.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
CMac's 2C options

Adam Henrique + Sam Carrick + Ty Taylor (G)
25 goal 57 point pace - Ducks 2 best PKers (2:34 + 2:40) - 52.9% on faceoffs
Traded for Late 1st + 4th + conditional 5th if Oilers win the Cup

Casey Mittesdadt
19 goal 62 point pace - Not a Pker (0:07) - 47.1% on faceoffs
Traded for Bo Byram (4th overall pick)

Reactions: Alienblood

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
CMac's 2C options

Casey Mittesdadt

Totally understand, but 2C as a long term fix with our wingers even if you don't count Landeskog long term is more important than a 4D, or 5D. It's just roster construction, and I'm more confident in Casey even improving than I am in Byram.

Casey has always taken time to adjust to new levels, but consistently has adjusted at every level.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
cMac saved his own ass IMO. He he took it down to 2.5 days away from greatly deserving to be fired. I'm not going to pretend he hasn't been a shit GM since they won the cup - because he has, but I'll give him credit for today's work.

Time will tell how these trades turn out, he's definitely bought himself some time.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
CMac has obviously redeemed himself, for now.

Which makes me wonder what fell through last TDL. I imagine he tried to pull off something similar last trade deadline and it fell apart in glorious fashion.

Reactions: The Moops

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Since the JJ + Eller + Kinkaid + Rydahl absolute dud of a deadline, Cmac has done the following:

-Olofsson for free
-RyJo for Jailbird (only move that has been an absolute failure)
-1st + 2nd + ECHL D-man for NewJost
-Colton for a 2nd
-Jones for Burke
-5th for Tatar
-Bardakov and 7th for McGoon
-Walker + 5th for RyJo and 1st
-Mitts for Bo

Every single one of these trades, besides acquiring RyJo for an unhinged psycho, has been a clear, undisputed win.

Good to see him learning from his mistakes

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
CMac's 2C options

Casey Mittesdadt
Ugly

• Haha
Reactions: The Moops

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
CMac's 2C options

Casey Mittesdadt

Are you purposely leaving out the fact that Henrique and Carrick are pending UFAs and Henrique is 10 years older than Mittlestadt and we will most likely sign RFA Mitts to a 3 year deal solidifying our biggest need longterm?

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
cMac saved his own ass IMO. He he took it down to 2.5 days away from greatly deserving to be fired. I'm not going to pretend he hasn't been a shit GM since they won the cup - because he has, but I'll give him credit for today's work.

Time will tell how these trades turn out, he's definitely bought himself some time.
You set some really delusional standards for him, and acted like the trade deadline was last week. And now for some imaginary reason he still needs to redeem himself in your mote-filled eyes. Do us a favor and simply give it a rest.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Are you purposely leaving out the fact that Henrique and Carrick are pending UFAs and Henrique is 10 years older than Mittlestadt and we will most likely sign RFA Mitts to a 3 year deal solidifying our biggest need longterm?

No, I was just talking about assets and contribution this year, because that's what everyone is focused on.

If I was talking about all the factors to this, I'd point out that CMac said he sees Ritchie as a potential 2C, and that you're purposefully ignoring Henrique is close in points and a better goal scorer, better PKer, and better faceoff guy, where the Avs need help, and leaving out that MIttelsdadt could cost $7M to re-sign, and cost someone else on the team.

But I thought it was better to just make record of the alternative trade available, than get into all that here.

Reactions: Alienblood

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad