Salary Cap: Chris MacFarland - Record as Avalanche GM (Updates In First Post)

How would you rate the job Chris MacFarland has done to date as Avalanche GM? (editable)

• Total voters

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Considering the restraints he had, I don't think he could've done much better. We knew it was risky, but no other choice really.

There were certainly other choices. The Avs have a 3rd LD making 5M but for some reason have an aversion to paying more than 5M for a 2C.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
There were certainly other choices. The Avs have a 3rd LD making 5M but for some reason have an aversion to paying more than 5M for a 2C.
Girard should've been available, I agree. But for who though?

Besides, it's not about a center specifically. It's the lack of top-6 talent. Boston and New York are at the top of the East. They don't really have good center depth (Rangers in theory, but Zibanejad has been horribad and Chytil is hurt).

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Considering the restraints he had, I don't think he could've done much better. We knew it was risky, but no other choice really.

You’re right.

Manson - bottom pairing dman, at best. 4.5 million.

Ryjo - unplayable at any position, if you want to win. 4 million

Wood - 4th liner. 2.5 million

Colton - 3rd line winger. 4 million.

15 million in salary to garbage players. Which he obviously was forced to dole out.

Guess you can’t do too much with 15 million though . Poor Cmac, the only GM that has to play by the cap rules.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
Girard should've been available, I agree. But for who though?

Besides, it's not about a center specifically. It's the lack of top-6 talent. Boston and New York are at the top of the East. They don't really have good center depth (Rangers in theory, but Zibanejad has been horribad and Chytil is hurt).

Lindholm hasn’t re-signed in Calgary. Also, Hertl was told by the GM this offseason that he’d accommodate their desire to be traded (due to an anticipated rebuild).

• Wow
Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
You’re right.

When he was re-signed, it was a pretty clear choice. He was paramount for our cup, and Girard had just proven himself expendable. Then Manson got hurt, and we didn't trade away Girard for help on offense. In retrospect, bad deal I agree.
A good bet for a bounceback at that cost, because frankly, nothing else was available really

15 million in salary to garbage players. Which he obviously was forced to dole out.

Guess you can’t do too much with 15 million though . Poor Cmac, the only GM that has to play by the cap rules.
Wood and Colton need to produce a bit more, but have been fine otherwise.
Lindholm hasn’t re-signed in Calgary. Also, Hertl was told by the GM this offseason that he’d accommodate their desire to be traded (due to an anticipated rebuild).
Lindholm is probably available now. Wasn't available during the summer.

Like I said, most of these signings were risky bets, but considering the constraints we had there was not much else out there.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
When he was re-signed, it was a pretty clear choice. He was paramount for our cup, and Girard had just proven himself expendable. Then Manson got hurt, and we didn't trade away Girard for help on offense. In retrospect, bad deal I agree.

A good bet for a bounceback at that cost, because frankly, nothing else was available really

Wood and Colton need to produce a bit more, but have been fine otherwise.

Lindholm is probably available now. Wasn't available during the summer.

Like I said, most of these signings were risky bets, but considering the constraints we had there was not much else out there.
It seems like you might be rationalizing/excuse making based on the outcome. The Islanders are a team that can use a puck moving defenseman. They have Barzal making C money. It’s not plausible that they might have been willing to trade Nelson?

It’s also not safe to assume Lindholm wasn’t an option.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
You’re right.

I think Wood and Colton will be fine. But that Manson decision. Bad. Even at the time.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Gambles didn't work out. We need to rethink and make some moves, if nothing changes in the next few weeks. We can't go into a hole again like last season. It puts too much burden on the top players.

Reactions: John Mandalorian

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
Last year was a lost year largely becuase mgt was stubborn about succession planning at 2C (Newhook). Will this be another lost year because management is too stubborn to course correct on Johansen who has been a step down from JTC last year?

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Oh no. He had choices, and he made some bad ones. It’s true the margin for error was practically nil when he officially took over, but he most definitely erred. Badly.

I really hoped this offseason would spark a turnaround but it’s made things worse.

Reactions: John Mandalorian

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I think people going a bit too harsh against MacFarland for the RyJo move. I mean, he was free and it was to see if he could fix Avs 2nd line centre woes as cheap as possible. Sadly it hasn't worked, but I blame the player in this case more so than anyone else. Johansen said in the offseason how fresh he was and how he was looking forward to joining this team, especially a contender. This bloke has seriously no pride in himself to go out and play like he has, it is PLD-esque when he was in Columbus level bad. At this point I actually believe he might not finish the season due to how poor and pathetic his work ethic is out there. I can't see Avs demoting him, but simply cutting him off to a basement dweller team.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
You’re right.

you forgot Georgiev at 3 whatever

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
It’s only Dreger but time to get the pitchforks ready.
Dreger is a dipshit. The dude doesn't know anything anymore, especially about the Avs. He spews what he thinks teams should do, with a dip in his mouth, and they call him an "insider." He flipped his lid when Sakic didn't trade Duchene when he thought he should have, and made up a bunch of rumors about it. He can lick my taint.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
At what point does the lack of a competent 2C make Chris' seat start to become a little warm?

About 5 games in when Ryjo looked like a wet paper bag after Nuke's personal assistant for entertainment got done with it.

I'd say the timer on the bomb should be ticking away now. He is only still at a 4 because people have obviously taken on his and Ryjo's energy level when it comes to voting.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Seriously though, I can only really rationalize 4/5 still being the majority by calling everyone lazy. 😆

The 5/5 people must have all just straight forgotten this thread exists.
I'm waiting until the deadline passes and then will update. CMac's painted himself into a corner, but my pitchforks don't really come out until after the deadline if we don't have a competent 2C.

There was a game earlier in the season where Georgiev wasn't to blame but he still got tagged for like 4 or 5 goals anyways. Bednar said it perfectly after the game, I don't blame him for any of the goals but at the end of the day, you'd like your goalie to make a save. Well, this is MacFarland's second year without a competent 2C, while many of those types have actually switched teams. I don't blame CMac for not getting any one of those dudes in particular, but at some point you'd like your GM to actually fix the problem he created.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad