#ChokingSens

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Pitts doesn't have:

Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Letang, Martin for tomorrow's game.

Must win, capitalize on this chance. Our defense can hold the others.

For the love of God, change the ****ing lines.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Lmao lesson in hubris. The nhl is an even league. Anyone can beat anyone on any given night. Which is why all teams have winning streaks and all teams have losing streak. So we lost to "bottom feeders" so we don't deserve to be in the playoffs. So does that mean "bottom feeders" that play well for a little while and beat a few teams higher in the standing then they deserve to be in the playoffs? Problem with most Ottawa fans is they enjoy being right just as much as they enjoy the sens winning.theyre just as happy whether the sens win or if they call the sens crap and they lose and they can tell everyone how they were right all along.

God Flower

Somebody hold me
Dec 19, 2008
Ottawa
5 game losing streak against some of the worst tewms in the conference

humiliated at home against an arch rival in two key games down the stretch

not getting three points in the final five games

sneaking in because the jets lost acouple games

yeah well deserved

Lol come on guys, spit out the bait! Don't let the mayor of Negative Town get a rise out of you lol

Hattrick Swayzie*

Pitts doesn't have:

Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Letang, Martin for tomorrow's game.

Must win, capitalize on this chance. Our defense can hold the others.

For the love of God, change the ****ing lines.

Change the lines that just got 50 shots? Real smart there bub

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Yes 50 shots from center ice. There was no skill involved or chemistry that gave them fits besides the second line.

exactly. at least swap turris with zibby for a while. zib and alfie have shown magic chem before. i'd like to see turris with conacher.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I don't think it's fair to say that the Senators' chances were all perimeter shots: Ottawa was dominating play until the Leafs scored and then got all the puck luck backed up by the new Tim Thomas. I do agree that ideally the team would crash the net more but alas, we're not built for that.

The Senators played a strong game but Carlyle is the new Quinn: the perfect coach against our system. The Leafs had an easy time disrupting a lot of our passes in their zone and that tells me MacLean needs to make a serious adjustment as to how we approach the offense when playing against them.

Spez

Feb 14, 2013
Last I checked relying on other teams to lose to make the playoffs is the Winnipeg Jets in a nut shell. They do not control their destiny to make the playoffs anymore. They could win their last 3 games and still miss because the teams in front of them are playing hot. The penguins will be resting players vs us and the bruins will be resting players vs us if they win the division before the last game which they should since the Habs stink right now. Hell Washington might have the Southleast division wrapped up by the time we play them and might rest players as well. The Flyers are tanking if they are smart so we should be able to beat them.

Ottawa will make the playoffs so people out there being negative need to relax. It sounds like the people who were trolling leaf fans saying they were going to collapse and miss when the stats said 1 in a million chance of that happening.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I don't think it's fair to say that the Senators' chances were all perimeter shots: Ottawa was dominating play until the Leafs scored and then got all the puck luck backed up by the new Tim Thomas. I do agree that ideally the team would crash the net more but alas, we're not built for that.

The Senators played a strong game but Carlyle is the new Quinn: the perfect coach against our system. The Leafs had an easy time disrupting a lot of our passes in their zone and that tells me MacLean needs to make a serious adjustment as to how we approach the offense when playing against them.

There is a difference between dominating the play in the offensive zone and dominating the play with offensive scoring chances. All the Sens did was cycle cycle cycle and bring absolutely no real puck threat to the net besides Condra's attempt and even he looked shocked the puck got to him.

People don't seem to understand the difference between puck possession in offensive zone and offensive zone scoring pressure.

Remember the Florida game where we outshot them 47-17 but scoring chances were like 14-10.

Also, why are people praising the Leafs system so highly when the 2 players that alter the entire offensive scheme of our team are missing. Those 2 players are the type of skilled talent that destruct the defensive attempts Toronto makes cause it's too much talent.

Notice Tavares line 2 nights ago who dominated the Leafs. Put ANY purely skilled line against the Leafs and they start panicing.

We have been winning because of hardwork but Leafs can match that with a little skill.

That's all, people complicated the system too much, lol.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Relying on jets to lose games. We had to win games ourselves to get enough points to get into the top eight to begin with...isn't that how this whole league works. And aren't the jets the ones relying on teams to lose.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
For the record, it looks pretty bleak for Winnipeg. Say they post a win against Buffalo in their next game and Ottawa loses to the Pens, their next game is a must win against Washington. Caps have dominated them all year and if they get 2 points in that game, they've clinched the division and cannot move in the standings. The Caps play Ottawa next and probably sit a few players to give them a rest. The Jets have to win all their games or they are screwed.

Milan the God*

Why is everyone saying we need three points to clinch?

Maybe I'm missing something here. I see our magic number as four points. Winnipeg, with 3 games left, can get a maximum of 55 points (49 + 6 = 55). The Sens have 52 points right now. So three points would mean the Sens and the Jets come to a tie in the standings (if the Jets win everything for the rest of the season).

The first tiebreaker is games played. Considering the season would be over, that won't matter. The next category is ROW. The Jets have 21 to our 19. Winnipeg would likely have us beat here, unless they win in a shootout every game.

So the only way we clinch for sure is if we reach our magic number - 4. Not three.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Why is everyone saying we need three points to clinch?

Maybe I'm missing something here. I see our magic number as four points. Winnipeg, with 3 games left, can get a maximum of 55 points (49 + 6 = 55). The Sens have 52 points right now. So three points would mean the Sens and the Jets come to a tie in the standings (if the Jets win everything for the rest of the season).

The first tiebreaker is games played. Considering the season would be over, that won't matter. The next category is ROW. The Jets have 21 to our 19. Winnipeg would likely have us beat here, unless they win in a shootout every game.

So the only way we clinch for sure is if we reach our magic number - 4. Not three.

We can clinch tomorrow. We'd have 54 points. Peg would have 53 if they won every game from then on.

Our magic number is 4 but not necessarily 4 points for us. We can get 2 points and they could mess up on 2 points and we'd be in.

cdavis*

Since this team (and fanbase) is in the business of hashtags, I think its only appropriate that they embrace their new designation. At least no other team or fan can claim they used this hashtag first.

Three straight losses to three of the worst teams in the Eastern Conference? #ChokingSens

This is the exact reason Sens fans are seen as bandwagon-hopping, low hockey iq fairweather fans.

The whole reason people love watching a specific NHL team is because it gives them something to believe in. Hey, there's no problem with having opinions on roster changes or someone being traded, but man, believe in your team. Leaf fans believe in their team, even after 9 years without a playoff game!

Ottawa has, since their modern-day inception been known to beat the good teams and lose to the terrible ones, no drag whatsoever.

Milan the God*

We can clinch tomorrow. We'd have 54 points. Peg would have 53 if they won every game from then on.

Our magic number is 4 but not necessarily 4 points for us. We can get 2 points and they could mess up on 2 points and we'd be in.

Alright. Just curious as to why people keep mentioning three points, when we need four (under our own destiny).

Just clearing it up for anyone who hasn't been watching the standings closely. Our magic number is four, not three. You're right. We could clinch a playoff position tomorrow.

Hopefully Buffalo does us a favor and we can beat the Penguins without their top players. Although if this season has taught me anything, it's to never count a team out because they've lost their top players.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
Conacher and Kassian both with 10 minutes and change last night. Played right into the leafs hands, let the kid line loose !!! How can Kassian play as much as Conacher and wonder why you scored once ?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yes 50 shots from center ice. There was no skill involved or chemistry that gave them fits besides the second line.

This is the kind of effect the final outcome can have on peoples perception. The 6th sens tabulates scoring chances (defined for his purposes as shots from the "home plate", see gif below). For the game against Toronto, chances were 19 to 11 for Ottawa. Once Toronto got it's 1st goal, they did their best to shut things down, as most teams do, but we still wildly out chanced them overall. On average, we probably get 12-15 scoring chances a game, and that's being generous.

I get why people were frustrated by the game, but despite some common opinions here, the team controlled the vast majority of the game, and would likely win that game most nights.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad