Prospect Info: CHL, NCAA & European Prospects Thread | Part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

DevsFan30

Oct 21, 2004
New York
Tuesday's WHL Activity:

Colby Sissons - 1 assist, +1, 4 PIM (hook, trip), 2 shots in Swift Current's 7-4 loss vs. Moose Jaw
Season stats: 18 games, 5 goals, 18 assists, +26, 26 PIM, 44 shots

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
+26? How does that happen?

Which is 3rd best on the team. 5 guys are (3 fwd's and 2 D) are +21 or better.

After that the next best guy is +8, then a +3 after that. There are 5 guys on the team who are either -4 or -5.

So that first unit looks like they are on the ice together almost exclusively. And they dominate.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
His team's first line is also leads the league in points. Seems like a fun team to watch and play on right now.
Steenbergen has 28 goals in 18 games.

The top line has combined for 57 goals. That's more then 3 goals a game.

Even when McDavid was at Erie with Strome and DeBrincat they did not produce at that level.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey

Even when McDavid was at Erie with Strome and DeBrincat they did not produce at that level.

Yeah he is on fire, and is on pace for like a bit under 3 points per game. That would almost be 200 points in a season, not that he keeps up the pace. Still impressive.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I wonder if Sissons has an NHL future

hes already close to his point totals from all of last year
He has good size, and my guess is if Shero signed him he can skate.

#'s look great, but you have to assume some level of coat tail riding. On the other hand he is the #1 d-man in terms of goals, assists, (nearly doubling the next guy in terms of total points) and +/-, and you figure he is helping drive play to some extent.

I also think playing in such a dynamic offensive environment, where puck movement is probably pretty impressive, is very good for a players development. At least in terms of puck skills.

So I certainly think there is something there in terms of potential.

Reactions: My3Sons

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
Hail Castron

@kcherney: Now that we are ~6 weeks into the season, who are the biggest risers from the 2017 draft based on both industry and your personal rankings? (I'm thinking perhaps guys like Tolvanen and Heponiemi, but you already had them high)

Some first rounders I’d suggest are Filip Chytil and Robert Thomas, but those are boring answers. Going deeper in the trenches, Aarne Talvitie from New Jersey, who was a sixth-round pick; Arizona’s Tyler Steenbergen, who was a fifth-round pick; Igor Shvyrev, who was a fith-round pick by Colorado; and Alexei Toropchenko, who was a fourth-round pick by the Blues.

@DevilsInsiders: Can you see the #NJDevils signing Jeremy Davies after his sophomore season? Or does he definitely need to play his junior year?

From what I saw recently, he’ll be ready next season to turn pro. He’s a real prospect and among the better defensemen in his conference right now.

@kungfu_canuck: Who was the most surprising/impressive player in the Canada-Russia series and why was it Artyom Manukyan?

Manukyan did well. He has a nice skill set and can skate, but we’ll see how it translates to the real U20 level. Alexei Polodyan stood out to me at the game I was at. You don’t often see good drafted guys come overseas for this, but I think Devils and Blackhawks fans should really like what Mikhail Maltsev and Andrei Altybarmakyan showed, respectively.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

Steven Todd Ives was high on Steenbergen pre-draft.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
That was 24 minutes into the game when I mentioned this. He finished well but he lacks an elite motor. he has excellent speed but his feet often stopped when he had the puck.

Is it motor or decision making? A player with the puck who slows down suggests to me he isn’t sure what to do with it. Low motor to me suggests lack of compete. Either way hopefully it’s something he can correct.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Reilly Walsh, Jeremy Davies, Colby Sissions and Jocktn Chainey are really impressing early in the season.

A combined 52 points in 54 games and +39

This is without including the two Russian defensmen.

Reactions: Darkauron

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Is it motor or decision making? A player with the puck who slows down suggests to me he isn’t sure what to do with it. Low motor to me suggests lack of compete. Either way hopefully it’s something he can correct.
Probably a bit of both, I don't think he is a high IQ player. The raw skills are there however I doubt it translates to much.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Hail Castron

@kcherney: Now that we are ~6 weeks into the season, who are the biggest risers from the 2017 draft based on both industry and your personal rankings? (I'm thinking perhaps guys like Tolvanen and Heponiemi, but you already had them high)

Some first rounders I’d suggest are Filip Chytil and Robert Thomas, but those are boring answers. Going deeper in the trenches, Aarne Talvitie from New Jersey, who was a sixth-round pick; Arizona’s Tyler Steenbergen, who was a fifth-round pick; Igor Shvyrev, who was a fith-round pick by Colorado; and Alexei Toropchenko, who was a fourth-round pick by the Blues.

@DevilsInsiders: Can you see the #NJDevils signing Jeremy Davies after his sophomore season? Or does he definitely need to play his junior year?

From what I saw recently, he’ll be ready next season to turn pro. He’s a real prospect and among the better defensemen in his conference right now.

@kungfu_canuck: Who was the most surprising/impressive player in the Canada-Russia series and why was it Artyom Manukyan?

Manukyan did well. He has a nice skill set and can skate, but we’ll see how it translates to the real U20 level. Alexei Polodyan stood out to me at the game I was at. You don’t often see good drafted guys come overseas for this, but I think Devils and Blackhawks fans should really like what Mikhail Maltsev and Andrei Altybarmakyan showed, respectively.

is this Pronman?

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Reilly Walsh, Jeremy Davies, Colby Sissions and Jocktn Chainey are really impressing early in the season.

A combined 52 points in 54 games and +39

This is without including the two Russian defensmen.

I feel like I see a clip of Zaitsev destroying somebody with a clean hard check every week on twitter.

He reminds me a lot of a left-handed, Russian Santini.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad