Prospect Info: CHL, NCAA & European Prospects Thread | Part X

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
He can burn a year and still take finals

I wouldn't leave my last month at Harvard for 600k or something like that. The month is more valuable in my opinion.

To play in Albany noless?

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Playing in the NHL doesn't stop him from taking classes. Just makes him ineligible for NCAA sports.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Yes, that's how it works - the best players at the lower level have a shot to become players at the NHL level.

I'll be excited if he signs here, if he doesn't, i'll be disappointed.

That's the same sentiment I posted about weeks ago and was basically told I was wrong for having any concern about him.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I wouldn't leave my last month at Harvard for 600k or something like that. The month is more valuable in my opinion.

He wouldn't play in Albany. He'd do what Kapla has done - he'd sign for the weekend, get paid $75,000 as a signing bonus, and he could be back in classes on Monday. If he gets put on the NHL roster first he's not eligible for the AHL.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey

He just has to play one game on the NHL to burn the year. He can still finish school up this semester or can take summer classes if he wants.Although I'm not sure how much money is a factor for him Tho considering who his dad is

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
That's the same sentiment I posted about weeks ago and was basically told I was wrong for having any concern about him.

I'll be disappointed, but I'm not going to spend the summer complaining about it, or track his career and point out if it goes wrong. The Devils can only do so much to get him here and if it doesn't work out, so be it.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
He wouldn't play in Albany. He'd do what Kapla has done - he'd sign for the weekend, get paid $75,000 as a signing bonus, and he could be back in classes on Monday. If he gets put on the NHL roster first he's not eligible for the AHL.

Are we sure that if he's on the NHL roster, he's not eligible for the AHL? The whole AHL clear day thing is very vague and since the AHL CBA isn't available online, it's hard to tell.

He just has to play one game on the NHL to burn the year. He can still finish school up this semester or can take summer classes if he wants.Although I'm not sure how much money is a factor for him Tho considering who his dad is

He doesn't have to play a game to burn a year. He burns one automatically if he signs an ELC that includes this league year since he's not eligible for a slide due to his age.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

I don't think he'd sign an ATO for that exact reason

But playing in NHL games this weekend and then going back doesn't really change anything as far as finishing school.

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
If we sign kerfoot and he's in the lineup Saturday, it'll be the most excited I've been to watch a game since early February. I can dream.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
is it good for him to play one game and burn a year off? can someone explain this to me?
If it means we get to sign him when otherwise he walks, yes. It also means he'll get to the second contract faster, which can be (but isn't necessarily) a good thing. Otherwise no, losing a year on the ELC is probably a bad thing.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Are we sure that if he's on the NHL roster, he's not eligible for the AHL? The whole AHL clear day thing is very vague and since the AHL CBA isn't available online, it's hard to tell.

I am pretty sure. I know the Devils said Kapla would not play in Albany. But it's complicated and it's hard for me to think of a ton of examples of teams that signed players for whom they burned off ELC years but didn't make the playoffs in the NHL and did make the playoffs in the AHL.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
For players like Kerfoot, burning an ELC year probably helps the team as well honestly. He fairly likely will be paid less on his second contract than his ELC unless he really excels (in which case, he almost certainly will count less against the cap as he will not have performance bonuses in his second contract).

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I am pretty sure. I know the Devils said Kapla would not play in Albany. But it's complicated and it's hard for me to think of a ton of examples of teams that signed players for whom they burned off ELC years but didn't make the playoffs in the NHL and did make the playoffs in the AHL.

Well for Kapla, he wasn't on the teams reserve list before the trade deadline so he would be ineligible to play in the playoffs. At least for the NHL that's how it works.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007

Not sure how lack of examples really means anything, honestly.

It wouldn't make any sense for NCAA players to not be eligible for the AHL playoffs if they sign an ELC considering they are eligible for the AHL playoffs if they sign an ATO.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Well for Kapla, he wasn't on the teams reserve list before the trade deadline so he would be ineligible to play in the playoffs. At least for the NHL that's how it works.

AHL is definitely different.

NCAA players who went undrafted and sign once they finish up can still play in the AHL playoffs. For instance, Nick Lappin last year who signed an ELC that began this year but an ATO to play in the AHL playoffs last year despite not being Devils property on clear day.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Not sure how lack of examples really means anything, honestly.

It wouldn't make any sense for NCAA players to not be eligible for the AHL playoffs if they sign an ELC considering they are eligible for the AHL playoffs if they sign an ATO.

Lack of examples doesn't mean much, I agree. An example means something, and so that's why I'm trying to think of examples. The reason why it's hard to think of is that it's quite rare for teams to burn ELC years in non-playoff seasons - I can't remember the Devils ever doing that, playoffs or no playoffs.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Lack of examples doesn't mean much, I agree. An example means something, and so that's why I'm trying to think of examples.

Lappin is one example of a player who wasn't on the AHL roster on clear day that was able to play in the AHL playoffs.

Granted, he signed an ATO (+ELC) but it frankly makes zero sense for an ELC to be more restrictive than an ATO.

as to your edit.. last year with both Wood and Santini.. (unless you meant the AHL part?)

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Lappin is one example of a player who wasn't on the AHL roster on clear day that was able to play in the AHL playoffs.

Granted, he signed an ATO (+ELC) but it frankly makes zero sense for an ELC to be more restrictive than an ATO.

Obviously players who sign as UDFAs on ATOs are able to play in the AHL playoffs. That's not something I would've questioned because I was pretty sure the Devils had done that before.

This situation may just be a contingency not really thought of in the NHL CBA because why would you burn off an ELC year of a player who you didn't want for your NHL playoff run?

as to your edit.. last year with both Wood and Santini.. (unless you meant the AHL part?)

I meant before Wood and Santini.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Obviously players who sign as UDFAs on ATOs are able to play in the AHL playoffs. That's not something I would've questioned because I was pretty sure the Devils had done that before.

This situation may just be a contingency not really thought of in the NHL CBA because why would you burn off an ELC year of a player who you didn't want for your NHL playoff run?

I meant before Wood and Santini.

Right.. but do you really think the NHLPA (or AHL equivalent) would put more restrictions on players who are actually under contract?

The whole burning a year thing isn't the reason this is part of the CBA, either. It's just the effect of the rule as to how normal ELCs work.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Right.. but do you really think the NHLPA (or AHL equivalent) would put more restrictions on players who are actually under contract?

The whole burning a year thing isn't the reason this is part of the CBA, either. It's just the effect of the rule as to how normal ELCs work.

Why can't you move players down to the AHL who aren't on the clear day roster and who don't require waivers? If Rochester made the playoffs last year, the Sabres couldn't've just sent Eichel down to play there in the AHL playoffs. The logic for this, assuming it's true, seems to be similar to me.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Why can't you move players down to the AHL who aren't on the clear day roster and who don't require waivers? If Rochester made the playoffs last year, the Sabres couldn't've just sent Eichel down to play there in the AHL playoffs. The logic for this, assuming it's true, seems to be similar to me.

They probably could've but figured he has nothing to gain from playing in AHL playoffs. Most guys in a similar position to Zacha/Eichel are likely just allowed to rest after the NHL season ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad