Status
Not open for further replies.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
From The Draft Analyst's (Steve K) review of the 4Nations U20 tournament:

LHD Yegor Rykov (NJD 5th/2016)

Rykov was Russia’s top defender in Hodonin for several reasons. First, he was on the top pairing and matched up against the opposing top lines at both even strength and on the penalty kill. Second, he manned the top of the umbrella on Russia’s top power play unit, where he displayed his hard, accurate shot. Lastly, he led all defensemen in the tournament in assists (3) and points (3). Drafted as an overager when he was clearly deserving of a first-year selection in 2015, Rykov has been the kid Russia leans on when it plays in U20 tournaments. You might be able to point to his solid play at this same tournament last year (played in Russia) as the beginning of a string of successful international showings that helped him get drafted. Offensively, Rykov is a very good skater and puck mover who uses the home-run pass with accuracy, and his hands are soft enough to play catch and handle tough passes. Russia kept opponents to the outside the entire tournament, and Rykov was a big reason why.

full article: http://www.thedraftanalyst.com/2017-nhl-draft/u20-four-nations/?platform=hootsuite

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I like that they spell his name Yegor, and not Igor. I can not get past the the whole Igor thing.

Given this kid was drafted in his +1 year, could we expect to see him come to the states a year earlier then otherwise?

Sounds like the kid has a chance to be something.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
The whole case has become very "wow" here in Windsor with many people following it. I've followed it very closely on Twitter, so if you're looking for specifics, that's where I would go.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
2 different cases? I thought this was a continuance of the one case.

But whatever, hope he enjoys jail.(he is going to jail right?)

Followed the case....basically another woman came forward after this incident claiming she was also assaulted by him at an earlier date (basically put her hand somewhere..).

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
2 different cases? I thought this was a continuance of the one case.

But whatever, hope he enjoys jail.(he is going to jail right?)

I don't think he's been sentenced yet, just found guilty. Normally sentencing would take place on a different day, but I haven't followed this case in great detail. It wouldn't surprise me if he got jail time for this, though.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Bratt had 1G and 1A in a 7-6 exhibition game loss to Geneve-Servette of the Swiss league. I'll try and find some video of the game, but I don't think I'll have any luck.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
It looks like Mikhail Maltsev scored a goal for SKA-Neva St. Petersburg (VHL - the 2nd highest Russian league) in a friendly match against Dinamo St. Petersburg. SKA-Neva lost 4-1, so Maltsev had the only goal for the team.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Still can't believe we ignored Europe for so long in the draft with Conte

Without knowing the list, I can't say I'd agree with that statement. Not sure how credible it is, but I read that we were high on Sebastian Aho but he got snatched up one pick before us in 2015. We'll never know how many instances like that might have happened.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Without knowing the list, I can't say I'd agree with that statement. Not sure how credible it is, but I read that we were high on Sebastian Aho but he got snatched up one pick before us in 2015. We'll never know how many instances like that might have happened.

The Devils did call timeout after that pick and ended up trading down, so there's plenty of smoke to suggest that.

I do think Russia was ignored, weirdly - the Devils drafted 0 Russians between 2007 and 2015. They drafted a guy from Belarus and signed one too, but they used to take late fliers on Russians all the time in the late 90s/early 2000s.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
pWN0VBxiwmqgCO_ANwYoiYYLABc8ympCmlXrFlbGVyA-LeLg4KR0LLiQQdQDnNWVNV_ojLoC62ym8dhSPZI5Nzb5P6ZGAvsmnd4D1csnzyxOPDqTVgS2-q0nup9LyN9ZXgylpY5CIy9QLnUvltjj-H-j7omyxoKwHzJ9xY7YPRUc2RARffG_H9v87UjWzYuBCAGciKiXcP-25qNu8i8jZD77VPmG19h2aM_hVcQFKynYBAVQ7koiek8ABWUIlNJQCoHMLkCwmUb0ZNZfrmqOKMizAMQIQ5DBJeppDgn3rkW1Xra81VSgdTXC2S9P0RLEqLm9sgRCmhY70-My09sLn4nC-YF69lzYxnV2PXdEGNpt3105ne8wZIywd3WQDaHGYGKjWhhOB-Sv8Q9TKmF_xt2wRcHJiLByLxUZq8c7EtyX7Oa8lOi1lHpRyB9SqWAi080uZR1BlTCPl8sQarcr1J-Nx0oa6ywdoU_g248obGIERIyCoMCVEJY3YONNeByEoj4II6NKCZJsF1MAC9P_kO860AOX31PtFCRv-T2fp0-DOGahq9TOHNoWKWPID0NuJeA_T-hSZYhrPunQMdcbdYyKYTEK5nBMG5WgCQGKwnn4iDT8=w1424-h949-no

Not sure if the timeout was due to potentially getting sniped on Aho. I snapped this photo of Shero negotiating with somebody who looks like Ottawa's Pierre Dorion. The third guy might have been part of NHL Central Registry which keeps track of all the picks (I spotted that guy by the Devils table late in the first round which might have been due to the Palmieri trade).

At least at the time, I thought the timeout was just because the trade had a conditional pick involved which needed the league's stamp of approval. Anaheim would call timeout a little while later as they finalized the Hagelin trade.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The Devils did call timeout after that pick and ended up trading down, so there's plenty of smoke to suggest that.

I do think Russia was ignored, weirdly - the Devils drafted 0 Russians between 2007 and 2015. They drafted a guy from Belarus and signed one too, but they used to take late fliers on Russians all the time in the late 90s/early 2000s.

Well with the rise of the KHL and decline of Russian hockey that isn't really a surprise, there are a lot less Russians being selected in general. And I don't think it's accurate to suggest they ignored Europe although outside Sweden where they had three first-round picks in four years they're definitely short of picks. You can't really draft for quotas though.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Well with the rise of the KHL and decline of Russian hockey that isn't really a surprise, there are a lot less Russians being selected in general. And I don't think it's accurate to suggest they ignored Europe although outside Sweden where they had three first-round picks in four years they're definitely short of picks. You can't really draft for quotas though.

Russian hockey has declined, but not to the extent that the draft would reflect. Guys like Panarin are going undrafted instead of teams taking a late flyer on them.

Before Zacha, the last guy they drafted out of Europe was Mauro Jorg in 2010.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Russian hockey has declined, but not to the extent that the draft would reflect. Guys like Panarin are going undrafted instead of teams taking a late flyer on them.

A dude in the swiss league no less.

We went through our Swede faze, and the lack of success seemed to jade us on all things Euro. Not only were we not picking Russians, but no Czech's or Finn's either.

And I have to believe that this was systematic and not just by chance.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012

Larsson, Gavrus?

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Looks like Mikhail Maltsev was sent back down from the VHL to the MHL...it's going to be tough to gauge where he'll play this season. Playing as 3rd line center for SKA-1946 (the MHL team), so hopefully that changes and he can get some more icetime to develop. Either way, he's a bit of a longer-term prospect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad