Prospect Info: CHL, NCAA & European Prospects Thread | Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I don't get how people can think he won't be good for us.

Speers doesn't have any remarkable physical tools and he plays the most cerebral game of our forward prospects. From his NHL stint, I saw a lot of attention to detail that gets lost if you're not specifically watching him the whole shift. Think it makes total sense that coaches/management love him.

He needs to get stronger but I feel that he's a guaranteed NHLer. Whether it's top 6 or bottom 6, we'll find out. With some of the more explosive players we'll have (from Hall, Wood, McLeod, Gignac, etc.), a guy like Speers may end up being the perfect complement to them.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Gignac is very interesting and could be another Castron 'find'. But, isn't he a C/LW?

Looks like you are right. A lefty shooting C. I thought he was a righty RW/C.

Anderson is the RW.

Getting difficult to keep track of all these guys.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
He shoots left, but I think he plays RW I think.

Was looking up some prospect stats. I didn't realize how big Bastien is.

For the most part, Gignac has been playing 2nd line center for Shawinigan this season, but he's versatile enough to play on either wing as well.

Also, Bastian is huge...he looks even bigger than when we drafted him

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
For the most part, Gignac has been playing 2nd line center for Shawinigan this season, but he's versatile enough to play on either wing as well.

Also, Bastian is huge...he looks even bigger than when we drafted him

Amazing, I'm pretty sure Bastian was under 6' just a couple of years ago and then hit a massive spurt. He looks like he'll top out around 6'4" 220-225

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
Speers is the type of winger that winning teams have, a guy fast and skilled enough to play with elite players but responsible and smart enough to play in a bottom 6/PK role. Devils and Hockey Canada staffs love him.

DevsFan30

Oct 21, 2004
New York
Friday's Activity:

QMJHL:
Brandon Gignac - 1 goal, 1 assist, +2, 2 shots, won 7 of 14 draws, 3rd star in Shawinigan's 5-4 win at Blainville-Boisbriand

OHL:
Blake Speers - 1 goal, -1, in SSM's 5-4 win at Flint
Colton White - 1 assist, +2 for SSM

Evan Cormier - win, stopped 20 of 23 shots in Saginaw's 6-3 win at Sudbury

NCAA:
Jeremy Davies - 1 goal, E, 2 PIM (cross-check), 1 shot in Northeastern's 4-1 win vs. Merrimack
Brett Seney - 1 assist, -1, 2 shots for Merrimack

Joey Anderson - 1 assist, -1, 1 shot, won 1 of 3 draws in Minnesota-Duluth's 5-3 win at North Dakota

Alexander Kerfoot - E, 3 shots, won 11 of 12 draws in Harvard's 3-0 win vs. Brown

Saturday's Activity:

OHL:
Blake Speers - 1 goal, -2, 5 shots, won 11 of 14 draws in SSM's 7-3 loss at Sarnia
Colton White - -1 for SSM

WHL:
Colby Sissons - E in Swift Current's 6-5 loss vs. Regina

NCAA:
JD Dudek - 1 goal, +1, 5 shots in Boston College's 6-1 win vs. Massachusetts

Jeremy Davies - 1 assist, E, 1 shot in Northeastern's 4-2 win at Merrimack
Brett Seney - E, 2 PIM (cross-check), 2 shots for Merrimack

Joey Anderson - E, 3 shots, won 0 of 1 draw in Minnesota-Duluth's 4-0 win at North Dakota

Alexander Kerfoot - -1, 5 shots, won 6 of 13 draws in Harvard's 1-1 tie vs. Yale

Sunday's Activity:

QMJHL:
Brandon Gignac - 1 goal, +1, 4 shots, won 8 of 15 draws, 1st star in Shawinigan's 3-1 win at Quebec
*scored GWG with 5:40 remaining in 3rd

WHL:
Colby Sissons - +1 in Swift Current's 5-3 loss at Saskatoon

OHL:
Evan Cormier - win, stopped 29 of 32 shots in Saginaw's 6-3 win at North Bay

Mississauga game about to start

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I find Dudek curious. 9 goals in 26 games is currently 3rd for the Eagles. He's only 2 goals shy of the team leader Colin White, Although White has 5 less games.

I don't think I would expect much from him but what he's doing is kind of interesting.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
H
I find Dudek curious. 9 goals in 26 games is currently 3rd for the Eagles. He's only 2 goals shy of the team leader Colin White, Although White has 5 less games.

I don't think I would expect much from him but what he's doing is kind of interesting.

He may get a crack at Albany for the playoffs, if they qualify.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Plus McCleod fits in with what this organization is trying to do. Brown didn't fit at all with what we were trying to which is get a skilled and talented forward group based on speed.

DevsFan30

Oct 21, 2004
New York
Sunday Night Activity:

Michael McLeod - -2, 3 shots, won 9 of 19 draws in Mississauga's 5-2 loss at Oshawa
Nathan Bastian - -1, 3 shots, won 9 of 18 draws for Mississauga
*Jeremy Brodeur was 3rd star, stopped 38 of 40 shots

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Maybe I'm completely off in saying this, but one thing I've noticed about Gignac this season is that he's using his speed more strategically...in that he isn't going guns blazing every time he has the puck. On more of his goals this season he's stayed with the forward group if there is an odd-man rush rather than charge ahead for a partial breakaway and then doing a little drop pass to one of the incoming forwards.

While this move is really slick and I hope we get to see him try it at the NHL level, I think staying back with the attacking forwards is the much smarter move to make. I'm rambling a bit here, but long story long, I really like what I'm seeing from Gignac

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Agreed. But i think picking McAvoy or Kunin would've been better picks because I think they will become better players. McLeod just doesn't have the offensive skills IMO.

Yep, I had wanted Kunin at the time, still think he's better than McLeod now and will be a much better pro.

But, I'm glad we took McLeod over Brown and got the extra pick too.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Speed-vs-Acceleration-graphic3.png

I posted this chart in regards to Miles Wood originally, but it makes me look at McLeod in a new light as well. I think it's unlikely that McLeod is as fast as Wood, but he might be close to or on par with Hall.

Of the 22 players listed on the chart, only 3 of them are non-stars in my estimation. Grabner, Hagelin, and Oshie. Maybe Couture. But one this is certain, there are no scrubs on this list. All of these players have been difference makers at one time or another.

I already liked the pick, but this increases my confidence in it by a lot.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
There have been posters who say McLeod is as fast as Wood. I have a hard time believing it.

But just the same, I love the idea of adding another burner to the lineup. I'm more willing to accept his relatively lackluster stat line because of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad