Prospect Info: CHL, NCAA & European Prospects Thread | Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
My breakout prospects:
Blake Speers - I think he challenges for league lead in points being off Canada's radar.
Nathan Bastian - He starts as 2nd line center and outproduces Mcleod 5 on 5, takes over top minutes.

Letdown prospects:
Michael McLeod - It will be a long development year of ups and downs. 2017 will be his year to shine.
Josh Jacobs - Just didn't have the offense in CHL, will disappear in Albany.

Sleeper Prospects:
Brandon Gignac - One injury to Anthony Beauvillier will allow this kid to absolutely explode in the QMJHL.
Evan Cormier - Who knows with goaltenders, he is big.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I think the Bastian Mcleod dynamic will be very interesting. Will they actually split that duo up? Is that at all dependant on what happens with Nylander?

I'm not as big on Speers as many are.

Where as I do like Jacobs. I think his stable play, especially if Santini, and his stable play are in NJ, will be big for Albany.

I also like Gignac, I feel the bio suggests that he is a talent that was buried a bit on a deep team.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
But Maltsev is my ultimate sleeper pick. If he can stay healthy I think he will have a major season. (although I don't know what league he will actually be in, Junior Russian, or KHL?)

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I wouldn't be surprised if McLeod struggles on the boxscore this year, or at least doesn't take a big step forward.

The casual fan will tell us Zacha had a disappointing year for a top pick because he didn't put up gaudy numbers, when in actuality he grew quite a bit. I can see something similar to McLeod, though I think his season will be put under a magnifying glass due to the Bastian/Nylander dynamic.

Hopefully I'm wrong and he has a killer season. Either way, I expect McLeod to be on the big squad in 2017 regardless of what he does this year. His speed and defensive play will be enough to put him in the NHL regardless of where his offense game is at.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I wouldn't be surprised if McLeod struggles on the boxscore this year, or at least doesn't take a big step forward.

The casual fan will tell us Zacha had a disappointing year for a top pick because he didn't put up gaudy numbers, when in actuality he grew quite a bit. I can see something similar to McLeod, though I think his season will be put under a magnifying glass due to the Bastian/Nylander dynamic.

Hopefully I'm wrong and he has a killer season. Either way, I expect McLeod to be on the big squad in 2017 regardless of what he does this year. His speed and defensive play will be enough to put him in the NHL regardless of where his offense game is at.

His team will be older this season and if he plays on a line with Nylander he will rack up points.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
There's a fair chance Nylander could make the Sabres out of camp. He'll at least be getting the 9 games.

I'd almost rather he not be sheltered, let him star on his own line and learn how to be the catalyst.

HobokenIrish

May 3, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Cory Pronman is going to be posting his Prospect Rankings and Team Rankings on ESPN either this week or next. Always enjoy that kind of thing and hoping this year we are out of the bottom half of the 20's for Organizational rankings

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Sounds like the Sabres will be exploiting the Honka loophole and "loaning" Nylander to Rochester.

Hopefully this means McLeod becomes the guy and gets premier ice time. Bastian too.

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011
whats the loophole?

Nylander was technically on loan to Mississauga from his Swedish team. Because of that, he was technically drafted out of Europe, excluding him from the CHL-NHL agreement that states he can't play in the AHL until he is 20 years old. Being drafted out of Europe leads him to being eligible to play in the AHL this year.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Nylander was technically on loan to Mississauga from his Swedish team. Because of that, he was technically drafted out of Europe, excluding him from the CHL-NHL agreement that states he can't play in the AHL until he is 20 years old. Being drafted out of Europe leads him to being eligible to play in the AHL this year.

This was part of the Zacha confusion last summer and whether or not he was eligible to play in the AHL. However, it was ruled Zacha was a CHL player rather than a Czech League player on loan so he is ineligible to play in AHL until 20 years old.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Have him pencilled in for a breakout season.

The biggest thing stopping him from an even bigger breakout season is the fact that Anthony Beauvillier (NYI 2015 1st rounder) might still be with Shawinigan next season. Even with him there, I think Gignac will claw his way to 2nd line minutes, and he'll have a strong, breakout season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad