Prospect Info: CHL, NCAA & European Prospects Thread | Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
The Devils compared JQ to Adam Henrique when they drafted him, so maybe the high playoff production was a characteristic the scouting staff felt both players had in common. I hope so. I love it when players go into a beast mode for the playoffs. :nod:

They did, but I wonder how much that has to do with familiarity and selling the pick to the fans. It seems every team that brings in a young gun, he gets compared to another player on the team or from the team's past.

The JQ comparison I really liked was to Pominville.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
They did, but I wonder how much that has to do with familiarity and selling the pick to the fans. It seems every team that brings in a young gun, he gets compared to another player on the team or from the team's past.

The JQ comparison I really liked was to Pominville.

I believe Lou compared him to Henrique and Lou doesn't do anything to sell things to the fans.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Santini is hardly getting any ice time. Buried deep on the 3rd pairing...not good

Did he do something to piss the coach off or is this really just a Hanfin showcase?

Also Nolan Zajac? Another Zajac brother?

Edit: And glad BC is losing. Obviously want the best for Santini, but there is only one team in Boston I care about and it doesn't have the word Boston in their name.

The Great Dame

Goose will be loose
Jan 3, 2008
NJ
With Santini's and Pietila's team out, gotta root for Harvard and Miami. (Kerfoot and Coleman)

I was unaware that Pietila was Tech's captain prior to watching the game yesterday, that's always a good thing. Unfortunate that he couldn't play.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Damn, Santini did not look good on Denver's 4th goal. Maybe he's injured? Weird for him to play so little in these games, isn't it?

As far as Nolan Zajac, I wouldn't mind Lou giving him a shot in Albany. He's been a real strong player for Denver ever year, but he's been incredibly small until recently, I think.

EDIT: As for Miami, looks like Barber can't go tonight. And Coleman has to sit his one game suspension tonight. That'd be a real tough way to exit this tournament, missing your top two goal scorers.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Santini has played third pairing minutes all season. And he did not play bad, the BC forwards were crap and Demko was underwhelming.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Santini doesn't need another year in the NCAA, but I prefer for him to stay there. I really hope he gets to play on a Hanifin, McCoshen, Matheson-less team because with the current team they had this year, his role was a bit more limited.

When you have terrible scoring forwards, you need to get offense from the defensemen and Santini isn't that type of guy.

I thought Santini played a pretty good game. The first goal wasn't his fault. He was clearing the crease as he should've and the puck got by Demko on the side of the net Santini was not screening him.

The fourth goal wasn't so hot but it was an entire defensive collapse including the forwards who couldn't get to the puck.

He played well in other areas though. Crisp breakout passes, was very physical, and for the most part played good defense.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Need more of this on the big devils
CBNlMujWgAAF0zZ.jpg

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Santini has played third pairing minutes all season. And he did not play bad, the BC forwards were crap and Demko was underwhelming.

He definitely didn't have a bad game, I just thought he looked particularly not-great on that one goal. Bobbled the puck under pressure, weak clearing attempt up the boards to Denver, took himself out of the play trying to be physical along the boards, puck carrier skates by and scores a goal.

But for the rest of the game, I thought he was really effective at gaining control of the puck in the D zone and moving it up to facilitate a breakout. If he can do that at the pro level, he'll be valuable.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Is Nolan the only zajac we don't own yet? Gotta catch them all

Lol can we forget about Zajac's

In all seriousness, we lack LHD in our system. The rest of our D prospects that could potentially challenge for an NHL job in the future outside of Helgeson are all LHD -- Hrabrenka, Scarlett, Santini, and Jacobs.

He's also a puck-moving defenseman apparently so it can't hurt to add one of those.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Santini doesn't need another year in the NCAA, but I prefer for him to stay there. I really hope he gets to play on a Hanifin, McCoshen, Matheson-less team because with the current team they had this year, his role was a bit more limited.

When you have terrible scoring forwards, you need to get offense from the defensemen and Santini isn't that type of guy.

I thought Santini played a pretty good game. The first goal wasn't his fault. He was clearing the crease as he should've and the puck got by Demko on the side of the net Santini was not screening him.

The fourth goal wasn't so hot but it was an entire defensive collapse including the forwards who couldn't get to the puck.

He played well in other areas though. Crisp breakout passes, was very physical, and for the most part played good defense.
Ooofff...OK. whatever you say boss.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Ooofff...OK. whatever you say boss.

I admit he was partially at fault on the 4th goal against. Goal 1 & 2 were not his fault. Goal 1's on Demko for not picking up the puck and goal 2 is on the forward for not picking up his man driving the net.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I admit he was partially at fault on the 4th goal against. Goal 1 & 2 were not his fault. Goal 1's on Demko for not picking up the puck and goal 2 is on the forward for not picking up his man driving the net.
It's not even that or any particular goal he was scrambling the whole game...he was a 1/4 second late on all his assignments... and he was late because he was over playing and allowing himself to get out of position...just like the crease clearing goal, he was late getting there. On that play he had to turn around and find his man because he was chasing the play seconds before.

That's not someone who is ready for pro hockey.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
It's not even that or any particular goal he was scrambling the whole game...he was a 1/4 second late on all his assignments... and he was late because he was over playing and allowing himself to get out of position...just like the crease clearing goal, he was late getting there. On that play he had to turn around and find his man because he was chasing the play seconds before.

That's not someone who is ready for pro hockey.

Ok I may agree with you on some of this. I do think he was going for the big hit too often, putting himself out of position.

I do think he's AHL ready, just needs one more fullyear of hockey before he should be in the NHL.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Ok I may agree with you on some of this. I do think he was going for the big hit too often, putting himself out of position.

I do think he's AHL readyust needs one more fullyear of hockey before he should be in the NHL.
Well, initially I said I wasn't sure.

I've seen Pro's like Ken Daneyko so amped up to play a big game and that manifest itself into that scrambly play...so I'm not exactly sure.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
That was an absolutely wacky end to Miami's season, but now that it's over, we could potentially see Coleman in Albany before the season is done. Same with Pietila.

MikeF

Feb 27, 2002
Troy NY
Visit site
That was an absolutely wacky end to Miami's season, but now that it's over, we could potentially see Coleman in Albany before the season is done. Same with Pietila.

Albany may need them. Black was injured last night and did not play tonight. Whitney and Wohlberg were injured tonight and did not return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad