Prospect Info: CHL, NCAA & European Prospects Thread | Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I never spent any real time at Maryannes. There was a chain restaurant on the opposite corner, I think it was GroundRound?
Place that had barrels for table stands and you threw peanuts shells on the floor...I used to go there a lot. I lived on Boyleston St./RT 9 in Chestnut Hill after I graduated from NU...So I was a little older then. We lived there because it was close to Babson where my wife was going...

Hard to remember everything from 20+ years ago without asking my wife...lol.

New Jack City

Dec 28, 2011
I think we may have found a gem in Wood. He was playing with Eichel and Tuch on the top line in their scrimmage the other day. He might make that team, which would be unbelievable.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I think we may have found a gem in Wood. He was playing with Eichel and Tuch on the top line in their scrimmage the other day. He might make that team, which would be unbelievable.

Wood has me pretty excited, too. He looks like he could be a real steal. Him playing with Eichel on the top line in scrimmage is great news. The USA WJC team should be really strong this year, so if Wood makes the cut, that's incredible, and, even if he doesn't, it definitely looks like he's impressed the team's brass and would have made them think long and hard about cutting him, which would also be quite an achievement. Keep up the good work, Wood! :handclap:

Devils Army

Rebuild Over.
Feb 3, 2014
New Jersey
Wood has me pretty excited, too. He looks like he could be a real steal. Him playing with Eichel on the top line in scrimmage is great news. The USA WJC team should be really strong this year, so if Wood makes the cut, that's incredible, and, even if he doesn't, it definitely looks like he's impressed the team's brass and would have made them think long and hard about cutting him, which would also be quite an achievement. Keep up the good work, Wood! :handclap:

Its good so they can get some chemistry for when they're both on our team

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
Wood is committed to BC, not BU where Eichel plays. It's an accomplishment to get an invite, but I won't get my hopes high yet. If Wood makes the team, and has an impact at the WJC, then maybe I'll start to get excited. Otherwise, we'll have to wait and see what he does when he goes to BC in the fall.

Even if Wood absolutely lights up his prep league, he's older than probably most of the kids in the league. So, we should expect to see an improvement on his 27-29-24-53 statline from last season.

Last edited:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
2 questions regarding Wood:

1)How common is it for US players to take the path he is taking, ie 2 years of prep post HS and prior to College?

2)How often do teams that draft players who continue in school for more then 4 years, sign those players? I know Hayes went else where, but how common is that?

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
2 questions regarding Wood:

1)How common is it for US players to take the path he is taking, ie 2 years of prep post HS and prior to College?

2)How often do teams that draft players who continue in school for more then 4 years, sign those players? I know Hayes went else where, but how common is that?
1) It's not at all common. This may well be a unique situation.

2) Given the above, it's hard to say.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
1) It's not at all common. This may well be a unique situation.

2) Given the above, it's hard to say.

1)But one year prior to college is pretty common yeah?

2)Guys who go a full 4 years of college can become a UFA if they choose right? How often do they?

John Iadevaia

May 9, 2013
Long Island
So Gavrus has 5 goals 4 assists in 33 games. Turns 21 in January.

Anything there?

I'm not optimistic about Gavrus. He has shown he has offensive tools that I feel could be useful in the organization, but his history of injuries concern me as well as his nature to shy away from physical play. He gets knocked off the puck too easily. He still needs to add some girth.

With the KHL in turmoil, I would not be shocked if he tried to either play in another European league or come over and play in the minors, most likely the ECHL.

Devs4L

Mar 8, 2006
Miles Wood scored a goal in the USA vs. Germany exhibition game tonight. USA is winning 4-0 going into the 3rd.

Last edited:

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Miles Wood scored a goal in the USA vs. Germany exhibition game tonight. USA is winning 4-0 going into the 3rd.

He was on a line with Bracco and Cassels tonight, and the three of them make up the most likely candidates for the final two cuts. Bracco is TINY (5'7", 130), and I haven't heard Cassels mentioned much, though he's been great for his past two OHL seasons. With all the positives we're hearing about Miles, I'd say there's a pretty good shot he makes the team.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
He was on a line with Bracco and Cassels tonight, and the three of them make up the most likely candidates for the final two cuts. Bracco is TINY (5'7", 130), and I haven't heard Cassels mentioned much, though he's been great for his past two OHL seasons. With all the positives we're hearing about Miles, I'd say there's a pretty good shot he makes the team.

Is the team down to 25 now? I thought there were 4 cuts to be made?

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
Apparently Miles had a second goal disallowed due to a goaltender interference call (his own infraction).

Hopefully the penalty doesn't go too heavily against him in his bid to make the cut, but happy to hear he's battling and unafraid to go to dirty areas for goals.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Apparently Miles had a second goal disallowed due to a goaltender interference call (his own infraction).

Hopefully the penalty doesn't go too heavily against him in his bid to make the cut, but happy to hear he's battling and unafraid to go to dirty areas for goals.

It would be his 2nd goal? If so then there's no way that's a bad thing. Shows he has the nose for the net and has a scoring touch. Now if it was someone else's goal then it may be.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey

For me at least the line between what is and is not goaltender interference seems to be so gray and dependent on how the ref is feeling that day that I don't normally get mad at players when it happens, but that's just me, and I'm not the one deciding the team, so what do I know? I'm just glad that Miles seems to have a nose for the net and a willingness to go to the dirty areas.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Bracco's grown a bit (his hockeydb profile which lists him at 5'7 130 is outdated). His USNTDP profile has him listed at 5'9 173 which seemed about right from when I saw them in September.

Just to toot my own horn, but I liked Bracco better than White/Greenway from that game. So it's nice to boost my armchair scouting ego that he's the one getting WJC consideration.

If I recall correctly, Cassels would hypothetically miss the first couple of games of the tournament because of a suspension he got in the OHL. Not sure if that will be a deciding factor.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Bracco's grown a bit (his hockeydb profile which lists him at 5'7 130 is outdated). His USNTDP profile has him listed at 5'9 173 which seemed about right from when I saw them in September.

Just to toot my own horn, but I liked Bracco better than White/Greenway from that game. So it's nice to boost my armchair scouting ego that he's the one getting WJC consideration.

If I recall correctly, Cassels would hypothetically miss the first couple of games of the tournament because of a suspension he got in the OHL. Not sure if that will be a deciding factor.

Totally forgot about the Cassels suspension. And I personally like Bracco, but I was thinking there's already some smaller US forwards, and that might cause team USA to lean towards taking Wood, whose got a bit of edge to his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad