Chicago wins draft lottery, picks #1

WhiteWash*

The NHL should have fixed it not to allow this. Why does the most assbackwards disgusting franchise in the league get rewarded?

kingsfan25

Jul 25, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Well, as a Kings fan, the consolation is that there's not as great a discrepancy in the talent from the 1st to the 5th pick as in years past...the difference between picking third and picking fourth isn't all that monumental, anyway.

In a draft such as this one, where the talent in the top 10 is so balanced, and selections will most likely come down to individual team favourites instead of consensus picks, I'll be interested to see what kind of trading goes on among GM's in the first round and how many surprise picks we end up seeing.

Last edited:

WhiteWash*

No, but we put our games on television, and have fans in the building.

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
Here's the order (didn't see it anywhere) as per TSN:

1. Chicago Blackhawks
2. Philadelphia Flyers
3. Phoenix Coyotes
4. Los Angeles Kings
5. Washington Capitals
6. Edmonton Oilers
7. Columbus Blue Jackets
8. Boston Bruins
9. St. Louis Blues
10. Florida Panthers
11. Carolina Hurricanes
12. Montreal Canadiens
13. Toronto Maple Leafs
14. Colorado Avalanche

Nice to see all those non-Eastern conf. teams in the top-10. ;) 7 out of 10 to be exact.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Let the mock drafts begin in earnest now, heh.

Might be more trading/movement in top segment of the draft this year considering the balance.

Geogaddi

Book Hockey
Nov 2, 2005
Dallas
My Guesses.

Chicago - Kane
Philadelphia - Turris
Phoenix - Voracek
Los Angeles - Van Riemsdyk
Washington - Cherepanov
Edmonton - Alzner
Columbus - Couture
Boston - Gagner
St. Louis - Esposito
Florida - Ellerby

Jaysfanatic*

Figures the year with no superstud the HAwks win it... no chance they take my number one in Logan Couture... as well
Thjey better not screw it up and take Turris or JVR

There was no superstud in the NBA when the Raptors won the lottery after years of futility and should have been getting #1 and they didn't. But still Bargnani was the guy they went with and he's looking like a stud. So don't fret too much over that man.

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
I expect the top three to be either one of Voracek, Kane and Turris in no specific order. Beyond that, who knows who will go 4-10. It could be Van Riemsdyk, Alzner, Cherepanov, Couture, Gagner, Sutter, Ellerby, Esposito, etc.

Turris ha said he wants to go to 4 years of college according to many posters at HF. That scares me enough not pick him.

Pens75

Pens Fan Since 1975
Jul 30, 2005
Duquesne Gardens
I don't understand why Flyers Fans can be upset over this...

1) there is no clear #1 pick
2) the #2 pick could easily turn out to be the better pick
3) it comes as no surprise the last place team didn't get the #1 pick, doesn't happen much

Pittsburgh never got a #1 pick in it's 4 seasons in the basement...

1) 2001-2002 = Finished 26th with 69 Points / Draft 5th with Whitney
2) 2002-2003 = Finished 29th with 65 Points / Draft 3rd (traded Mikael Samuelsson for 1st pick to select Fleury)
3) 2003-2004 = Finished 30th with 58 Points / Draft 2nd with Malkin
x) 2004-2005 = Lockout - No NHL Season / 30 Team Lottery (lucky winner for 1st pick to select Crosby)
4) 2005-2006 = Finished 29th with 58 Points / Draft 2nd with Staal

5th
3rd
2nd
2nd

turnbuckle*

I don't know that the dropoff is so huge. I'm of the opinion that Kane, Turris, and Voracek make up the top three (though not necessarily in that order), but Cherepanov, van Riemsdyk, Couture, and Gagner are all pretty good players.

Had a lengthy conversation with a high up western conference scout last week about the top players. He was of the opinion that Cherpy, Alzner, Kane and Turris are the top four prospects....it's a question of where you want to rank them in order, and a lot will depend on the upcoming Under 18's.

Personally I think you could perhaps add Voracek to that list, but it was interesting to hear his opinion nonetheless. It was an opinion shared by his the majority of his team's scouting staff, and they're noted for being pretty astute at the draft table.

Gutchecktime

Dec 24, 2005
Would you prefer a different analogy?

I once saw a Chevette with 22" chrome spinners.

"Haha. Your team lost a random lottery draw!"

I'm not even a Flyers fan but that's pretty lame.

Haute Couturier

Feb 28, 2007
Philadelphia
He might, but the fact that I've never heard him mention him even once, leads me to believ that they don't thikn as highly of him as they do Kane, Turris, Voracek and Cherpanov. I doubt that one under-18 tourney is going to make have them vault JVR over at least 3 of the four previously mentioned.

Actually, he has mentioned JVR at least twice. He mentioned JVR in print a couple of months ago and he mentioned JVR yesterday on Daily News Live. He is one of his top 3 players that he is going to see in the U18 tourney. Esposito and Cherepanov are the other two.

Voracek is the one he has never mentioned at all.I would love Voracek, but I don't think he is on Homer's radar at all. The players he most frequently mentions are Kane, Turris, Cherepanov, Esposito, and JVR. My guess is that Kane, Turris, and JVR are likely his top 3 choices (not necessarily in that order).

Jaysfanatic*

Philly, take Fedatenko back for the first round pick. You owe that to Tampa!

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Actually in a very odd bit of irony, it just occured to me that the team really screwed by these results is not Philly but Washington. Some have this as a good top four draft. Washington was sitting at four when who should leapfrog them and push them to five and out of the sweet spot? Chicago, the team that they screwed out of Malkin by leapfrogging them and us. Karma can be a ***** at times, eh?

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California
Actually in a very odd bit of irony, it just occured to me that the team really screwed by these results is not Philly but Washington. Some have this as a good top four draft. Washington was sitting at four when who should leapfrog them and push them to five and out of the sweet spot? Chicago, the team that they screwed out of Malkin by leapfrogging them and us. Karma can be a ***** at times, eh?

I actually think this draft is more of a good top 6 draft than a good top 4 draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad