Chicago wins draft lottery, picks #1

fighterflea1*

"He might, but the fact that I've never heard him mention him even once, leads me to believ that they don't thikn as highly of him as they do Kane, Turris, Voracek and Cherpanov. I doubt that one under-18 tourney is going to make have them vault JVR over at least 3 of the four previously mentioned."

I've never seen such a naive post come from you. Why would Holmgren (we're not talking about the egomaniac Clarke, here) signal whom the Flyers are interested in? Holmgren has made general comments about a lot of different players. I recall no mention of Voracek and took that as a likely indication that the Flyers might be interested and were steering any observer towards others. But I find it remarkable that you think Holmgren's failure to mention any player would be a telltale of lack of interest. I agree Van Reimsdyk is probably down on the list. But Holmgren has not proven himself to be an idiot and it would be truly dumb either before or after the lottery determination for the Flyers to tell others what they have in mind.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
i really liked the viedo of vam riemsdyk. doesnt look like there is any holes in he's game.

JVR did look good, he's gonna be a solid all around player IMO.

I also was impressed by Couture and Petrecki, who skates well for a big Dman and looks to have a healthy mean streak.

X-SHARKIE

I usually agree with you, but not on this one IMO, after seeing Voracek many times this year, and Kane a few times...I have seen Turris maybe about 3 times only this year, I would say Voracek is pretty damn good, his offensive upside is above Michalek, his vision and controll of the play is at the top of the draft, and his playmaking and passing skills are also at the top of the draft. Im still not sold on Turris...I have seen him and to me he is doing well against Jr. A players, but he is still weak imo, he has developed some bad habbits with the puck at times I found...I know they can both be fixed, but to dominate Jr. A hockey and to be what Kane and Voracek where in the CHL this year is two totally different things. I think Voraceks talent is a little down played on this site right now...but that is good though, I like when people don't have to high of expectations for someone and they come back to show what they can do.

I agree with you 100% on your viewings of Voracek. I wasn't trying to down play his upside in fact I was actually trying to say that his upside is a bit underrated. I think he's more powerful than Michalek although not as fast. He's also more creative and Michalek did have 40 assist this year the age of 22 which speaks highly of Voracek's abilities. I have Voracek too as the best play maker available in the draft which is pretty dang good considering Gagner and Hamil aren't to bad of play makers. Voracek's ability to draw the man to him, protrect the puck than thread the needle creatively is unparalled in this class.

Also. Thanks for the link Beauty. eh?

RightKinger

Apr 25, 2006
Los Angeles
I agree with you 100% on your viewings of Voracek. I wasn't trying to down play his upside in fact I was actually trying to say that his upside is a bit underrated. I think he's more powerful than Michalek although not as fast. He's also more creative and Michalek did have 40 assist this year the age of 22 which speaks highly of Voracek's abilities. I have Voracek too as the best play maker available in the draft which is pretty dang good considering Gagner and Hamil aren't to bad of play makers. Voracek's ability to draw the man to him, protrect the puck than thread the needle creatively is unparalled in this class.

Also. Thanks for the link Beauty. eh?

Can we get your thoughts on Logan Couture? He has had a lot of bad luck this season with injuries but has played very well at times. Where would you rank him and what do you think his potential is? Thanks.

Beauty eh?

Not sure if serious.
Dec 20, 2004
Southern California
Yes, he's safer than a small one-dimensional offensive dynamo and the BCHL goal-scoring leader... could this draft be any weaker?!

Don't let the fact that Turris is playing in the BCHL fool you. Scott Gomez and Paul Kariya also came out of the BCHL.....and Turris' coach has said he's more talented than Gomez.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Don't let the fact that Turris is playing in the BCHL fool you. Scott Gomez and Paul Kariya also came out of the BCHL.....and Turris' coach has said he's more talented than Gomez.

True enough. However, it does cast a shadow over him because one could say that he hasn't been tested at the level of a guy like Kane has. And don't forget, talent isn't everything; it's how you use it that matters. From everything I've read about his attitude, it's great. Yet, you never know how a guy might fold when put to ultimate.

Beauty eh?

Not sure if serious.
Dec 20, 2004
Southern California
True enough. However, it does cast a shadow over him because one could say that he hasn't been tested at the level of a guy like Kane has. And don't forget, talent isn't everything; it's how you use it that matters. From everything I've read about his attitude, it's great. Yet, you never know how a guy might fold when put to ultimate.

Well, Wisconsin has a great program....I'm sure we'll find out just how good he can be in the next two years or so.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Well, Wisconsin has a great program....I'm sure we'll find out just how good he can be in the next two years or so.

Indeed. I don't question Turris all that much, but I don't think that if this were the average draft we'd see him going top 5 for sure. Just look where Kopitar went due to where he played and he was from.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I dont think Gainey would give away much more. Honestly, i think we're probably stuck with Kovalev for another year. Gainey has too much pride to just give away players--he managed to pull off one of the best salary dump trades in recent memory with Theodore last year. If the same thing happens this time around we're going to have take on salary. Maybe (big maybe) someone like Martin Lapointe could fit the bill. I'd go off on a limb and say Lapointe's been a disappointment with Chicago. He's going to get paid somewhere in the the range of 2.5 mil this season. Forget the draft and trading up for the time being, wouldn't Chicago take a risk on Kovalev, a player who will no longer be in the montreal limelight, and won't be labeled as the most talented player on his team? I honestly think that Chicago, for only a 2 mil blow to their cap, would be dumb not to. For the Habs, they get a guy who fits their system perfectly--a hardnosed forechecker who can still put the puck in the net. I think to say that Kovalev is washed up is ridiculous. I watched him skate around players like pylons all season long. I watched every Hab game this season and no one on the team can match his overall skill, especially on the half-boards during PP. I know that he underacheived but he also was stuck playing with Samsonov for most of the season, and that killed his overall production. Let's face facts, Kovalev had 65 pts in 69 games last year. Believe what you want, but he didn't suddenly over the span of one year become a worse player. Bottom line, he needs a change of scenery and less pressure from the media, and thats just what he would get in Chicago.

I'm actually a AK fan, and think that a Lapointe for Kovalev deal would work from CHI's POV. Hawks desperately need scoring line forwards, and AK can be one of those where Lapointe is not.

My basic point though is that Kovalev isn't going to be an asset that moves MON up 10 spots into the top 5 of this draft.

mintsauce

Feb 4, 2005
Ontario
www.livejournal.com
I'm actually a AK fan, and think that a Lapointe for Kovalev deal would work from CHI's POV. Hawks desperately need scoring line forwards, and AK can be one of those where Lapointe is not.

My basic point though is that Kovalev isn't going to be an asset that moves MON up 10 spots into the top 5 of this draft.

Not a good trade for Chicago - LaPointe is a real leader for them right now.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Not a good trade for Chicago - LaPointe is a real leader for them right now.

Where has Lapointe lead the Hawks again?

I realize it's not his fault the Hawks blow dog. The Hawks blow dog because they have the least amount of talent among their forwards in the NHL. They need to upgrade the talent level, and if they have to move Lapointe to do it - it's a no-brainer IMO.

This is based on the assumption that the Hawks don't have the cap room to upgrade the F group via the UFA market. With no significant contracts expiring except for Handzus, I don't think the $'s will be available for even the 2nd tier UFA's. The Hawks will be shopping at the Salvation Army again for guys (like Bondra) to play in a scoring line role.

Zim

Jan 19, 2006
Dave Tallon is at the Moosehead game tonight... I wonder why...

Because as Voracek's team were down 3-0 in the series and so it was probably his last chance to see him in a competitive game this year?

Savard said on Hawks cast that the Hawks believe that there is a consensus #1 pick and so they may have already made up their minds. Whether that is PR or not i don't know.

GaryU

May 17, 2004
Schaumburg,Il
Savard is drumming up interest in the (no clear cut) #1...We, in Chicago are restless over 1 playoff appearance in 9 years and would entertain offers for immediate help (not projects, prospects or vets on their way out of the league)...

ziggy

Apr 23, 2003
Norrköping, Sweden
Visit site
:amazed: whoa, is this correct? if it is, sucks for the Oilers. :amazed:

No, it´s not entirely correct. The lottery is not made that way. They don´t draw a #, they draw one Team, so, had CHI finished 6th from the bottom they would now be picking 2nd overall, finishing 7th by CHI would have moved them to pos # 3 etc. They´ve actually won the lottery once before, going from 8th to 4th back in 1999.
Had EDM finished 5th from the bottom they would have had the same per cent chance to win as CHI now did. But, again, they put a number of balls with the teams names on it, and the team name that comes up climbes a maximum of 5 positions.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
It seems like there are a number of teams with top 5 picks that have stated some willingness to move their top pick for immediate help. But who would make willing trade partners? It'd have to be a team that either has the depth to deal away a decent roster player or one undergoing a bit of a rebuild.

On the surface, that's the case but it really depends if anyone falls. Trading up is a possibility as well, considering the number of prospects & young roster players the Caps have at their disposal if necessary. An impressive performance at the U18s by Van Riemsdyk should make the top five a bit more interesting and unpredictable as well.

Montreal is most probably a willing trading partner, we have 5 top 72 picks again this year, and a lot of 2nd line prospects, but we lack top end talent. I wouldnt be too surprised to see us trade up to grab alzner since washington needs immediate help and we might be able to provide for them.

Last edited:

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006

I agree. The BCHL could possibly be the best junior tier 2 league in the world.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00