Chicago wins draft lottery, picks #1

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California
At least twice, when St. Louis did it last year.

I think that's what I read, that St. Louis last year was the first time the actual worst team in the NHL won the draft lottery. I'm not counting the year after the lockout, where no teams played the year before, and the weighting was completely different from normal.

If there were more cellar lottery winners, can you tell me who they were? I'm curious to know.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I fully expext the Hawks to trade down for top 6 help now. Tallon is under the gun. One more losing season he is good as gone.
It seems like there are a number of teams with top 5 picks that have stated some willingness to move their top pick for immediate help. But who would make willing trade partners? It'd have to be a team that either has the depth to deal away a decent roster player or one undergoing a bit of a rebuild.
Actually in a very odd bit of irony, it just occured to me that the team really screwed by these results is not Philly but Washington. Some have this as a good top four draft. Washington was sitting at four when who should leapfrog them and push them to five and out of the sweet spot? Chicago, the team that they screwed out of Malkin by leapfrogging them and us. Karma can be a ***** at times, eh?
On the surface, that's the case but it really depends if anyone falls. Trading up is a possibility as well, considering the number of prospects & young roster players the Caps have at their disposal if necessary. An impressive performance at the U18s by Van Riemsdyk should make the top five a bit more interesting and unpredictable as well.

Last edited:

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California
It seems like there are a number of teams with top 5 picks that have stated some willingness to move their top pick for immediate help. But who would make willing trade partners? It'd have to be a team that either has the depth to dealaway a decent roster player or one undergoing a bit of a rebuild.

Buffalo could do it, they have great depth on their roster, plus they will probably have to give up one of their big UFAs this summer. They might as well try to clear some cap room as well as restock a little for the future.

Nashville is another one that could do it, I think.

serum114

Mar 1, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
:amazed: whoa, is this correct? if it is, sucks for the Oilers. :amazed:

Come on now... if the Oilers finished 5th last, with the luck they've had this season, a team behind them would have won and bumped them down to 6th. Heck, I'm just happy it was one of the top 5 that won. I like the top six in this draft a lot (Kane, Turris, JVR, Alzner, Cherry, and of course Voracek) and would hate to be 7th pick.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Hawk's fans deserve the #1 pick. Wirtz does not. Heres hoping he spontaneously combusts. :D

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Buffalo could do it, they have great depth on their roster, plus they will probably have to give up one of their big UFAs this summer. They might as well try to clear some cap room as well as restock a little for the future.

Nashville is another one that could do it, I think.
Yeah, Buffalo immediately comes to mind. Nashville, too, if they take care of their pending UFAs early and have a good idea of what their depth is going into next year. Anaheim's another one with the forward depth to consider it. Maybe Florida would look to move Nathan Horton if he's still reportedly looking to be moved.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Had a lengthy conversation with a high up western conference scout last week about the top players. He was of the opinion that Cherpy, Alzner, Kane and Turris are the top four prospects....it's a question of where you want to rank them in order, and a lot will depend on the upcoming Under 18's.

Personally I think you could perhaps add Voracek to that list, but it was interesting to hear his opinion nonetheless. It was an opinion shared by his the majority of his team's scouting staff, and they're noted for being pretty astute at the draft table.

Well I guess that means it wasn't a Phoenix scout.

In all seriousness, I don't see the hype about Cherepanov, and I'm praying the Coyotes don't pick him. I have him 8th on my list.

Jaysfanatic*

Here's the order (didn't see it anywhere) as per TSN:

1. Chicago Blackhawks
2. Philadelphia Flyers
3. Phoenix Coyotes
4. Los Angeles Kings
5. Washington Capitals

It's just so weird..........

1. Chicago Blackhawks/Pittsburgh?
2. Philadelphia Flyers /Pittsburgh?
3. Phoenix Coyotes /Pittsburgh?
4. Los Angeles Kings /Pittsburgh?
5. Washington Capitals /Pittsburgh?

It's like there's a hole in the NHL entry draft. Quick someone trade their top 5 pick to the Pens for Talbot, Christensen and Armstrong

I guess Philly kept the Pennsylvania picks in the top 5 theme going this year.

:sarcasm:

Chootoi

Jan 7, 2005
Well I guess that means it wasn't a Phoenix scout.

In all seriousness, I don't see the hype about Cherepanov, and I'm praying the Coyotes don't pick him. I have him 8th on my list.

you have to appreciate the success that cherepanov has to date in a men's league, and there's no doubt he's got some serious talent. i got no beef with cherepanov, but he's still one of those boom or bust guys that no one seems to be 100% sold on. throw in the charades with lisin and kaigorodov, and the whole russia transfer thing that is really fragile right now, i like him as a prospect, but i don't know that the coyotes can afford a pick like that right now.

the coyotes success with this type of pick is terrible historically, but to me is still irrelevant. they're a rebuilding team that has an opportunity to add a significant piece to the puzzle, and can't afford to blow it IMO on a "project player" or a "boom or bust" player. this risk is just too high for the situation that the team is in right now. IMO they need a safer pick. kane/turris/voracek fits the bill.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Actually in a very odd bit of irony, it just occured to me that the team really screwed by these results is not Philly but Washington. Some have this as a good top four draft. Washington was sitting at four when who should leapfrog them and push them to five and out of the sweet spot? Chicago, the team that they screwed out of Malkin by leapfrogging them and us. Karma can be a ***** at times, eh?

I'm sure the caps will take the 1st in 2004 vs. the 4th in 2007 draft, lol.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
I think that's what I read, that St. Louis last year was the first time the actual worst team in the NHL won the draft lottery. I'm not counting the year after the lockout, where no teams played the year before, and the weighting was completely different from normal.

If there were more cellar lottery winners, can you tell me who they were? I'm curious to know.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=298754

Results of Previous Draft Drawings

Year Selected Effect On Draft Order Player Selected
1995 Los Angeles Moved from 7th to 3rd D Aki Berg
1996 Ottawa Retained 1st selection D Chris Phillips
1997 Boston Retained 1st selection C Joe Thornton
1998 Tampa Bay Moved from 3rd to 1st via trades C Vincent Lecavalier
1999 Chicago Moved from 8th to 4th RW Pavel Brendl *
2000 NY Islanders Moved from 5th to 1st G Rick DiPietro
2001 Atlanta Moved from 3rd to 1st LW Ilya Kovalchuk
2002 Florida Moved from 3rd to 1st LW Rick Nash **
2003 Florida Moved from 4th to 1st G Marc-Andre Fleury ***
2004 Washington Moved from 3rd to 1st LW Alex Ovechkin
2005 Pittsburgh n/a C Sidney Crosby
2006 St. Louis Retained 1st selection D Erik Johnson
2007 Chicago Moved from 5th to 1st

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California
http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=298754

Results of Previous Draft Drawings

Year Selected Effect On Draft Order Player Selected
1995 Los Angeles Moved from 7th to 3rd D Aki Berg
1996 Ottawa Retained 1st selection D Chris Phillips
1997 Boston Retained 1st selection C Joe Thornton
1998 Tampa Bay Moved from 3rd to 1st via trades C Vincent Lecavalier
1999 Chicago Moved from 8th to 4th RW Pavel Brendl *
2000 NY Islanders Moved from 5th to 1st G Rick DiPietro
2001 Atlanta Moved from 3rd to 1st LW Ilya Kovalchuk
2002 Florida Moved from 3rd to 1st LW Rick Nash **
2003 Florida Moved from 4th to 1st G Marc-Andre Fleury ***
2004 Washington Moved from 3rd to 1st LW Alex Ovechkin
2005 Pittsburgh n/a C Sidney Crosby
2006 St. Louis Retained 1st selection D Erik Johnson
2007 Chicago Moved from 5th to 1st

Cool, thanks for the list. Do you know who actually won the lottery in 1998? Or did Tampa already have the pick before the drawing?

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
Chicago deserved it, when was the last time they pick 1st overall?

we never have.. a few years back we won the lotto but the pick had been traded before that so.

To be honest i wouldnt be shocked if the hawks traded the pick for something that could help us now.

either way im totally estatic about having the 1st overall pick, its like winning the cup in a way for me. Ill say this, its the highest point for the hawks in the last 10 years.

Little_Stitsy

Apr 8, 2007
It seems like there are a number of teams with top 5 picks that have stated some willingness to move their top pick for immediate help. But who would make willing trade partners? It'd have to be a team that either has the depth to deal away a decent roster player or one undergoing a bit of a rebuild.

On the surface, that's the case but it really depends if anyone falls. Trading up is a possibility as well, considering the number of prospects & young roster players the Caps have at their disposal if necessary. An impressive performance at the U18s by Van Riemsdyk should make the top five a bit more interesting and unpredictable as well.

In my personal opinion, The habs are going to work their ***** off to find a new home for Kovalev in the next two months. Unfortunately for the Habs, he costs too much (4.5 million), so if they were to pull off a draft day deal for one of the top 5 picks, they'd have to find someone who's in love with him. I still think he's an extremely talented player but simply doesn't fit in the habs system. I suppose that for teams that are way under the cap and looking for a boost in the standings (he can only help teams like the (kings, blackhawks, coyotes) the habs would surely package Kovalev and one of their picks for a top 5 pick... Its really just a question of any GM taking a chance on him.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
In my personal opinion, The habs are going to work their ***** off to find a new home for Kovalev in the next two months. Unfortunately for the Habs, he costs too much (4.5 million), so if they were to pull off a draft day deal for one of the top 5 picks, they'd have to find someone who's in love with him. I still think he's an extremely talented player but simply doesn't fit in the habs system. I suppose that for teams that are way under the cap and looking for a boost in the standings (he can only help teams like the (kings, blackhawks, coyotes) the habs would surely package Kovalev and one of their picks for a top 5 pick... Its really just a question of any GM taking a chance on him.

Give the Hawks Kovalev, Ryder, Samsonov and your 1st for the 1st overall and you got a deal.

ered7

Oct 21, 2006
we never have.. a few years back we won the lotto but the pick had been traded before that so.

To be honest i wouldnt be shocked if the hawks traded the pick for something that could help us now.

either way im totally estatic about having the 1st overall pick, its like winning the cup in a way for me. Ill say this, its the highest point for the hawks in the last 10 years.

I actually think any of the top 4 or 5 players in this year's draft would net a player that could help this team now. I don't want that pick traded for multiple lesser players or worse yet, an impending expiring contract of a young player that may or may not be ready to carry the load of heavy minutes on the first line.

There's value at the top of this draft. I say keep the pick, select the guy best skilled to help the team, whomever they choose, and get Toews signed. The future isn't looking as bleak as it did on Sunday, but I'm still apprehensive that Tallon and company might mess up.

ered7

Oct 21, 2006

Give the Hawks Kovalev, Ryder, Samsonov and your 1st for the 1st overall and you got a deal.

That's not enough! Laughs. Kovalev (concussion issues), Samsonov (performance issues); and Ryder, while talented, is a defensive liability like few others.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->