Chicago wins draft lottery, picks #1

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
I think Tallon will pick Kane..we need inmediate help

Yeah but Kane isn't ready imho.He would benefit from at least 1 year in the AHL and he needs to get stronger/put up a few pounds because at 5"9 160lbs he's going to get destroyed in the NHL.

If you want immediate help you should pick Voracek.He and Alzner are the only two safe pick in the top 10 once again imho (an argument could also be made for JVR).

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Yeah but Kane isn't ready imho.He would benefit from at least 1 year in the AHL and he needs to get stronger/put up a few pounds because at 5"9 160lbs he's going to get destroyed in the NHL.

If you want immediate help you should pick Voracek.He and Alzner are the only two safe pick in the top 10 once again imho (an argument could also be made for JVR).

but he would have to wait a year to play in the AHL. the situation with him reminds me of the one with marc staal last season. not quite ready for the NHL, to good for junior's and too young for the AHL. its a tricky situation.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
IMO, the USHL and BCHL are both well above the rest of the Tier II leagues, with the SJHL ranking #3.

what about the MJHL. a friend of mine is going to play for the best team in that league (not sure of the name) next season. i would just like to know how it compares to the USHL/BCHL.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
but he would have to wait a year to play in the AHL. the situation with him reminds me of the one with marc staal last season. not quite ready for the NHL, to good for junior's and too young for the AHL. its a tricky situation.

Good point

This is pretty much the same situation Latendresse was in with The Habs at the beginning of the season.However Lats had the size to play in the NHL wherever Kane , not so much.I don't want to see him being broken in half like Gilbert Brule (broken sternum + fractured right leg in only 7 games).

On another note , they should abolish the 20 yrs old rule for the AHL because it's Pejorative Slured.I mean a 18 yrs old kid can play in the NHL but not in the AHL ?? It make absolutely no sense.It should be 18 yrs old.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Good point

This is pretty much the same situation Latendresse was in with The Habs at the beginning of the season.However Lats had the size to play in the NHL wherever Kane , not so much.I don't want to see him being broken in half like Gilbert Brule (broken sternum + fractured right leg in only 7 games).

On another note , they should abolish the 20 yrs old rule for the AHL because it's Pejorative Slured.I mean a 18 yrs old kid can play in the NHL but not in the AHL ?? It make absolutely no sense.It should be 18 yrs old.

i totally agree with you. that rule is just pointless. it makes the CHL better, but it kan hurt some players development.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
It's part of the CHL/NHL transfer agreement. I would assume the CHL made sure that rule was included to ensure their own survival.

i can see why the CHL wanted the rule, but i dont like it one bit. especially since im not watching a lot of CHL games:D

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
what about the MJHL. a friend of mine is going to play for the best team in that league (not sure of the name) next season. i would just like to know how it compares to the USHL/BCHL.

Well there is nothing wrong with the league, definetely not as strong as the BCHL. Lets just say this, since 1975 no team from the MJHL has won the RBC Royal Bank Cup(which is the cup awarded to the best canadian tier 2 team) while the BCHL has had 9 winning teams.
The reason why the BCHL is so good, is because of the parity of good teams. There is never a dominating team that you may find in leagues such as AJHL(Camrose Kodiaks), MJHL(OCN Blizzard, which actually has recently gone to the shi**er-despite recently winning 5 titles in a row).
Also, the BCHL has produced some great players such as: Paul Kariya, Brett Hull, Dallas Drake, Shawn Horcoff, Glenn Anderson, Mark Recchi, Ray Ferraro, Geoff Courtnall, Cliff Ronning and Scott Gomez.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Well there is nothing wrong with the league, definetely not as strong as the BCHL. Lets just say this, since 1975 no team from the MJHL has won the RBC Royal Bank Cup(which is the cup awarded to the best canadian tier 2 team) while the BCHL has had 9 winning teams.
The reason why the BCHL is so good, is because of the parity of good teams. There is never a dominating team that you may find in leagues such as AJHL(Camrose Kodiaks), MJHL(OCN Blizzard, which actually has recently gone to the shi**er-despite recently winning 5 titles in a row).
Also, the BCHL has produced some great players such as: Paul Kariya, Brett Hull, Dallas Drake, Shawn Horcoff, Glenn Anderson, Mark Recchi, Ray Ferraro, Geoff Courtnall, Cliff Ronning and Scott Gomez.

yeah, ok. but considering he played HS hockey in minnesota (hes team won the state championship) its definitely an upgrade right??

Transported Upstater

i can see why the CHL wanted the rule, but i dont like it one bit. especially since im not watching a lot of CHL games:D

The CHL would be decimated without it. It is critical to the survival of the league.

leafmon

Nov 13, 2006
The CHL would be decimated without it. It is critical to the survival of the league.

That is for sure.

As far as I'm concerned the rule works just fine. Saying some players development is hurt is purely a myth. Only the very elite 18 year olds are ready to play in the NHL. The difference between the NHL , AHL and the CHL is really boys versus men. How many 17 year olds are saved serious injury right now by continuing to play against boys (CHL) instead of being pushed to the AHL. Well I'll guess we'll never know but IMO that scenario is more likely then player development being stunted.

Take Marc Staal for instance who was mentioned by some. Isn't it possible this past year has been a great development year for him in terms of confidence and leadership. I doubt those two areas would have evolved to the same extent had he been in the AHL.
Look at Kane right now. Great talent but not yet fully physically mature. Pushing him to play with men right now wouldn't be wise. Not everyone is as ready as Crosby.

Hockey-Freak

Apr 18, 2005
No one knows for sure?

It´s definitely just in the first round. It´s also something they didn´t change with the new CBA as you can see when you look at the 2004 draft. The Caps finished 28th, won the lottery and got the 1st overall but just the 33rd overall in the 2nd round.

Gardebut30

Jun 8, 2004
No one knows for sure?

If you have the Draft Preview it clears that up in the front of the magazine next to the editor's notebook section. Above the draft order is a little caption that says chicago picks first but moves back to the fifth position in each successive round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->