GDT: Chicago @ Nashville - Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
Cheering during the anthem is something they do in their barn. I don't care if they are "showing respect"', it has no place in ours or anyone else's arena. It's just rude.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Cheering during the anthem is something they do in their barn. I don't care if they are "showing respect"', it has no place in ours or anyone else's arena. It's just rude.

It's not showing respect either, it is flat out disrespect. If you want to cheer, wait until the anthem is finished.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
It's not showing respect either, it is flat out disrespect. If you want to cheer, wait until the anthem is finished.
When it was initially started, it came from a good place so I respect that, but still remained a bit of a gray area depending on who you are. Because of the origin of it, I don't have a problem with them doing it. In Chicago. It's just showboating to do it in other arenas. It's a Chicago tradition, not a Blackhawks tradition.

KurtAngle

Mar 31, 2016
When it was initially started, it came from a good place so I respect that, but still remained a bit of a gray area depending on who you are. Because of the origin of it, I don't have a problem with them doing it. In Chicago. It's just showboating to do it in other arenas. It's a Chicago tradition, not a Blackhawks tradition.

That is what I meant. Me, I prefer to put your hand over your heart and keep quiet till it's over, but I took the cheering as a not so bad thing for it's intent.

Like I said, it's people like a number of our fans who yell in the middle that I detest, far more than the Hawk fans cheering.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
That is what I meant. Me, I prefer to put your hand over your heart and keep quiet till it's over, but I took the cheering as a not so bad thing for it's intent.

Like I said, it's people like a number of our fans who yell in the middle that I detest, far more than the Hawk fans cheering.
To be fair I tend to agree with this.

KurtAngle

Mar 31, 2016
- I actually thought their fans were fine for the most part. I even got a few "excuse me's" from some people decked out in Hawks gear. They were pretty respectful from where I was and I honestly think we have a preconceived notion about Hawks fans that lead a lot of people to think they're annoying and loud and obnoxious even if they really aren't. I thought they were just an away crowd with a lot of people, which will always be loud no matter what. If they were wearing Penguins jerseys instead of Hawks jerseys no one would care. In theory I think it's dumb but the movement of trying to do what they can to keep their fans out has either worked pretty well, or at the least seems to have kept the obnoxious level a lot lower.

-The "duh duh duh" song is Chelsea Dagger by The Fratellis. I'm ashamed of it but I actually like it. (It was #93 on my top 100 listened to songs of 2016 playlist on Spotify. Oops)

- Crawford defintely tripped them. No doubt.

- I think Callahan voluntarily left for personal or family reasons. Go figure, we get a real hockey guy who's talented as hell and he steps down by choice.

- No, we can't stand up for Arvy because we have no one capable of it.

- How friggin awkward will it be on Tuesday when PK is in the building, and hopefully playing, then the house comes down when the Weber tribute comes. Then on top of that, Radulov will probably get booed. Should be interesting.

-- I think the going too far to keep their fans out is a bit silly. To me it makes us look like wimps to be so skeered of their fans.

-- Seems that song was featured in some movie. Actually a very catchy song.

-- Not a bit of doubt Crawford tripped him. Still, I think Smith being in the crease was a bit too close and I heard some think it was a sort of makeup call from the Fiala no call. At the least it should have been a foul on both. I hope Pekka tries it on one of them (Kane) next time and see.

--Callahan stuck around for a while with a local radio show here and was pretty good. It seemed always a bit mysterious why he left to me.

-- Johannson actually did a little to help Arvy last night, but funny how Kane is about the same size and nobody gets him...and yeah, I know Arvy is no Kane.

-- I am sure PK understands what will surely be the Weber love here, as it should be. Just as I am sure Weber knows the PK love, there.

One thing I forgot, Tootoo was pretty tame compared to the last game here. Not much ice time but he didn't instigate anything. I was never a fan, never understood his hype here, but he's on the perfect team for him.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
-- I think the going too far to keep their fans out is a bit silly. To me it makes us look like wimps to be so skeered of their fans.

-- Seems that song was featured in some movie. Actually a very catchy song.

-- Not a bit of doubt Crawford tripped him. Still, I think Smith being in the crease was a bit too close and I heard some think it was a sort of makeup call from the Fiala no call. At the least it should have been a foul on both. I hope Pekka tries it on one of them (Kane) next time and see.

--Callahan stuck around for a while with a local radio show here and was pretty good. It seemed always a bit mysterious why he left to me.

-- Johannson actually did a little to help Arvy last night, but funny how Kane is about the same size and nobody gets him...and yeah, I know Arvy is no Kane.

-- I am sure PK understands what will surely be the Weber love here, as it should be. Just as I am sure Weber knows the PK love, there.

One thing I forgot, Tootoo was pretty tame compared to the last game here. Not much ice time but he didn't instigate anything. I was never a fan, never understood his hype here, but he's on the perfect team for him.
Apparently it was in Run Fatboy Run and in an episode of The Inbetweeners (hilarious British TV show by the way)

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee

I agree 100%. Some Wolves fans did it in Milwaukee several years ago. They got some Evander Holyfield death stares as well as shouts directed at them by Section 204 and others. After that, it dropped off rapidly. Word of the hostility got out quickly.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I agree 100%. Some Wolves fans did it in Milwaukee several years ago. They got some Evander Holyfield death stares as well as shouts directed at them by Section 204 and others. After that, it dropped off rapidly. Word of the hostility got out quickly.
Seriously? Get over yourselves. It's a fine tradition at the UC, not in a visiting NHL arena MUCH LESS a visiting AHL arena where the Hawks aren't even playing. Dumb.

belle

Nov 11, 2003
Visit site
For those who are interested, Kerry Frasier has reviewed the Smith injury. He disagrees with the call. His analysis is on his site.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Mr. Adz said he heard him live as he was either coming home or going in to work on Friday. He went into some of the things he did in his column but also said that one of the reasons you'll have two calls, like tripping and embellishment, is that there are 2 refs and they can't overrule one another. They can both make a call, though, to try to even things out. It didn't happen here, but I didn't realize that was the reason why that happened. I had always thought well, if it's a trip it's a trip, right?

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Good for you. Get better vision then.

I can screen cap for you if you'd like.

I was at the wild game and there were half of sections empty but hey 17,113 sellout, right?

Been out of town and very late getting caught up on the boards, so this is a VERY delayed response, but I just could not resist.

I was also at the Wild game and your statement above is 100% inaccurate- period. You are saying there were sections that were half empty during that game???

Absolutely false.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Yep...

God forbid transparency and honesty.

I guess it's better to be blind and and read fake news and just accept what they say.

May I make a suggestion or two?

First, drop the strawman. It isn't "better to be blind and read fake news and just accept what they say." You created that argument that no one was putting forth because it is easily defeated. It is fallacious.

Second, diplomacy is your friend. Clearly, you know that your opinions are not going to be popular. Since that much is known, why not approach the effort to discuss these unpopular things, items you consider to be uncomfortable truths, without the abrasiveness. For instance, if you feel it is important to discuss the attendance issue maybe a better approach would be to draw attention back to a time when attendance was such a serious issue that the team nearly moved. Begin not by simply launching into a diatribe about the front office using underhanded tactics to artificially inflate the attendance numbers, but instead show your concern as a fan with what you perceive to be a return to a business strategy that nearly cost us fans our team years ago. Mention how ignoring this issue because it's uncomfortable could bring forth a similar issue in the future. Know your audience. A lot of us, if not all of us, lived through that terrible summer of uncertainty, and we certainly don't wish to return.

Perhaps you will have more success with a different communications strategy. The one you have been employing isn't working unless your intention is just to start heated arguments, and then we have another problem altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad