Seravalli: Chiarot being scratched until traded?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripledeke333

Jun 25, 2021
Whoever gets him will be happy.

I always had a soft spot for him when the majority of the habs forum would flame him relentlessly because he's not a skill player. He will eat up 23 mins a night no problem in the playoffs and has an above average shot. Trust me, you may not see his true value in the regular season but if your team is on the road in game 5 of a series you will be quite happy you have this guy.

Honestly quite sad to see him about to go even if they get a first rounder for him.

Absolutely. Teams “overpay” all the time for rentals. Chariot is no star, but IMO he will add more than prior years rentals like Savard and Foligno.

marvelousmotion

Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
People not wanting Chiarot on their team for the playoff run will have a rough awakening when their team cross his path.

This guy is a horse in the playoffs. He plays rough, solid and intelligent playoff hockey. I would pay a late 1st any day of the week for a deep playoff run.

This. Chariot is far from being a top D in this league, but he's more than shown his worth during the playoffs.

Reading what has been said about Chariot, I sure hope that he does not end up on a team like the Leafs. He will make that team better and tougher to play against during the playoffs.

Some fans still have not realized that players like Chariot who play like a beast and give their all on the ice are needed to help you win rounds during a playoffs run. Offensive skills only bring you so far without a mix of heart, will and grit.

See recent two-times cup winner, some people were laughing at them when they saw the price they paid to acquire "bottom six forwards" and "bottom pair defencemen". Look who's laughing now with the two championships. 😅

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
Why are habs fans and leaf haters obsessed with wanting the leafs to trade a first for charot?

So they could laugh on the internet? Doesn't that mean charot isn't actually worth a first? Make up your mind guys!

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
He isn't worth a first round pick. He's a decent defensemen but got way overhyped because of some media attention on him last year during the playoffs. Any GM trading a first or equivalent prospect for him is an idiot.

It’s interesting that you say that because anyone watching him play would not come to the conclusion that his value is based on last year’s playoff run.

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
He isn't worth a first round pick. He's a decent defensemen but got way overhyped because of some media attention on him last year during the playoffs. Any GM trading a first or equivalent prospect for him is an idiot.
We soon will know who is the idiot however i suspect that several are offering up their first for him. Posters here are not GMs...we need to remember that.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
It'll be entertaining AF if Carolina is the team that ends up trading for him in exchange for their 2023 1st. A bunch of people will be scrambling to their spreadsheets to see what they missed. He will go from overrated to underrated VERY quickly. I've watched the guy play before, and he's far better defensively than given credit for by most people.

Last edited:
Reactions: HabbyGuy

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Canadiens would have to drop their price. Doubt Chiarot returns Pelletier. They'll get late first, 30rd overall something like that.

I've yet to hear any indication that the Canadiens aren't getting the offers they want for him. Just nobody was willing to pay up what it would take to get him early. Do they get the Craig Rivet for 1st + Josh Gorges return? Who knows. I feel the fact you can get him at $1.75M if Montreal retains 50% is what will get him a first round pick. I'll honestly take a lower pick if it means a better prospect. Someone like Will Cuylle or Helge Grans.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I've yet to hear any indication that the Canadiens aren't getting the offers they want for him. Just nobody was willing to pay up what it would take to get him early. Do they get the Craig Rivet for 1st + Josh Gorges return? Who knows. I feel the fact you can get him at $1.75M if Montreal retains 50% is what will get him a first round pick. I'll honestly take a lower pick if it means a better prospect. Someone like Will Cuylle or Helge Grans.
Whoever gets him is getting a proven playoff performer. A physical beast on the Blueline who can play both sides, logs 25 minutes a night.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
The expectation is that we are going to do max retention on Gio.
I think Gio ends up with a lesser return then chariot. Only reason is that most teams have their pp QB already and I don’t think your looking for that if your going deep, your looking for the nastiness to get you through 4 rounds.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I think Gio ends up with a lesser return then chariot. Only reason is that most teams have their pp QB already and I don’t think your looking for that if your going deep, your looking for the nastiness to get you through 4 rounds.
Gio is not exactly soft or easy to play against either. I am not going to undervalue Chiarot because he is a solid D-man but the underlying stats I was checking showed Gio to be a much more effective player.

To me the biggest difference in the return could be dictated by what @pth2 mentioned in regards to salary/cap implications.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Gio is not exactly soft or easy to play against either. I am not going to undervalue Chiarot because he is a solid D-man but the underlying stats I was checking showed Gio to be a much more effective player.

To me the biggest difference in the return could be dictated by what @pth2 mentioned in regards to salary/cap implications.
Nor am I saying he is, but if your getting nasty your getting chariot not gio

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
happy to see things like this from lebrun, chiarot should be low on the blues target list and armstrong definitely should not be paying a 1st to acquire him

Pierre LeBrun: Well I would tell you James, that the Josh Manson deal from my perspective, it sounds like really intensified some of those conversations that were already happening between the Montreal Canadiens and a pretty long list of suitors. Among the teams that we believe still have interest includes Calgary, Carolina, Florida, St. Louis and others. The Flames have a prospect by the name of Jakob Pelletier that is of great interest to the Canadiens. I just don’t know if the Flames …don’t think they want to move him. The Hurricanes don’t have a first-round pick; you may remember they used that in an offer sheet on Jesperi Kotkaniemi, so can they lure the Habs with a prospect or two? St. Louis doesn’t want to pay the price of a first-round pick, which is the price, so can they find another way? So, all these things are happening here as the Habs keep to their high price on Ben Chiarot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad