Seravalli: Chiarot being scratched until traded?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Blues offer Perunovich, Scandella and a 3rd. You can then flip Scandella

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Habs hardly controlled any play despite whatever scores you think might polish up how they really looked.

I love the Habs too, but I think you’re way off.
Carey Price made that D look awful good though. Results based opinion. A hot goalie can cover up a lot of warts

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
We soon will know who is the idiot however i suspect that several are offering up their first for him. Posters here are not GMs...we need to remember that.

I don't.... if you're going to trade a first theres better options available like Lindholm.

Again, decent player but not someone whos a key cog, more of a complimentary piece.

Krett Bulak

Jun 21, 2010
This. Chariot is far from being a top D in this league, but he's more than shown his worth during the playoffs.

Reading what has been said about Chariot, I sure hope that he does not end up on a team like the Leafs. He will make that team better and tougher to play against during the playoffs.

Some fans still have not realized that players like Chariot who play like a beast and give their all on the ice are needed to help you win rounds during a playoffs run. Offensive skills only bring you so far without a mix of heart, will and grit.

See recent two-times cup winner, some people were laughing at them when they saw the price they paid to acquire "bottom six forwards" and "bottom pair defencemen". Look who's laughing now with the two championships. 😅
Totally man ! People laughed at 1st round pick for Coleman's, Goodrow's and Savard's of this world, but I would give 10 first round picks for a Stanley cup any time soon for my team. ;) If you look back, great moves by the GM is what made the lightning a team with almost no weakness.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Ahhh yes, just what the Blues need, more bad cross-checking penalties to kill off. That would make them so much better.

Just what we need, more flawed context into Chiarot's game and value. You need to quantify your knee jerk opinion with context.

Defenseman in the last two playoffs with higher PIM/TOI% than Chiarot. Not going to name them all but here are some worth noting.
* Myers
* Zadorov
* Dumba
* Krug
* Weber
* Dunn
* Giordano
* Chychrun
* McAvoy
* Oleksiak
* Weegar
* Sergachev
* Hamilton
* OEL

A few others very close to Chiarot: Pietrangelo, Morrissey, Graves, Orlov, Nurse, Carlson, Fox, Cernak,

Reactions: ottawa

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Damn, well, let's trade Ben Chiarot for a 7th if we're lucky

Graphs that don't tell the whole story are all we need now.

Don't forget, it was a graph like this that said Joel Edmundson was the worst player in the league.
Weber too, while Kulak was a solid defenseman (he's ok)... just shows you can't base your analysis on WAR alone, it's defficient.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I'm having a good time reading this thread. There's one thing that I'm really looking forward to though, it's reading through the messages on the team forum that acquires Chiarot. Good or bad, it will be entertaining.

I almost hope it's the Bruins or the Leafs as the profanity will be on a whole other level.

Reactions: Gravity

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
To Toronto for a 1st please, I want to see the meltdown after listening to Leafs fans for weeks saying confirming they won't even give a 2nd for Chiarot.

As a Leaf fan, he is definitely not my top target by any means, but I think he brings elements in his game the Leafs D could use more of and I would do a 2nd if other options do not pan out. Not from this upcoming draft though. And I most certainly wouldn’t do a 1st. I’d be quite unhappy if that happened.

Last edited:

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
As a Leaf fan, he is definitely not my top target by any means, but I think he brings elements in his game the Leafs D could use more of and I would do a 2nd if other options do not pan out. Not from this upcoming draft though. And I most certainly wouldn’t do a 1st. I’d be quite unhappy if that happened.
I feel like the Leafs would prefer Petry who can also be physical but much more mobile/better with puck. Wonder if there's something that can work around Petry+Allen (50% retention) for Mrazek+Dermott+futures.

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Petry
Sandin - Liljegren/Lyubushkin

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
I don't.... if you're going to trade a first theres better options available like Lindholm.

Again, decent player but not someone whos a key cog, more of a complimentary piece.
According to reports there are at least 5-6 teams interested in Chiarot and there is only one Lindholm.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I feel like the Leafs would prefer Petry who can also be physical but much more mobile/better with puck. Wonder if there's something that can work around Petry+Allen (50% retention) for Mrazek+Dermott+futures.

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Petry
Sandin - Liljegren/Lyubushkin
I don't see how Toronto could fit in Petry with his longer contract, though.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Why are habs fans and leaf haters obsessed with wanting the leafs to trade a first for charot?

So they could laugh on the internet? Doesn't that mean charot isn't actually worth a first? Make up your mind guys!

I don't really care where Montreal trades him, but I think he would be an outstanding addition to the Maple Leafs and give them some much needed toughness on the blue line but also his skating ability would fit well with that team and his underrated shot might mean he would contribute more offensively than most people expect.

I think he is exactly what the Maple Leafs are lacking on their blue line.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Gio is not exactly soft or easy to play against either. I am not going to undervalue Chiarot because he is a solid D-man but the underlying stats I was checking showed Gio to be a much more effective player.

To me the biggest difference in the return could be dictated by what @pth2 mentioned in regards to salary/cap implications.

I think the Maple Leafs should steer clear of Giordano. His foot speed is problematic and would not fit too well with how the Leafs play hockey.

Chairot has much better mobility and could keep up with the play of the Maple Leafs. I think Giordano would be exposed and targeted by the opposition due to his slow skating and could be taken advantage of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad