Seravalli: Chiarot being scratched until traded?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I don't see how Toronto could fit in Petry with his longer contract, though.
It's basically savings from Mrazek 3.8M. Petry has 3 years left, so aligns with the end of Marner/JT.

Dermott 1.5M/Allen 1.4M (after 50% retention) would cancel out for this and next year.

If Leafs don't want to spend on rentals like Chiarot, feel like these 2 are more helpful.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
According to reports there are at least 5-6 teams interested in Chiarot and there is only one Lindholm.

Doesn't mean they are going to go crazy and move a 1st for him. I'm sure plenty of Gms will see the price and decide they are fine without him. He's not a guy thats going to win you a playoff series.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Doesn't mean they are going to go crazy and move a 1st for him. I'm sure plenty of Gms will see the price and decide they are fine without him. He's not a guy thats going to win you a playoff series.

I think you are probably right that teams prefer to keep their 1st rounders but I also think you are wrong about Chiarot's ability to improve your chances to win a playoff round. Without Chiarot, I have my doubts the Habs would be able to beat the Pens, Leafs, Jets, and Knights. It was definitely not all Chiarot but he was not some depth guy that benefited. He was leaned on very heavy (23-25 min/game) and definitly made it difficult for the other teams best forwards.

The 1st rounder and prospect is a bit much and has really clouded a lot of people's judgement on Chiarot cause it's typical HF boards. Price is too high so the player in question is targeted and devalued. Make no mistake, whoever gets Chiarot is getting a playoff warrior that skates very very well for a big man and he will no doubt help that teams ability to make things difficult for the other teams best forwards.

People need to calm down with the high price. It's a strategy that all teams would do when trading a guy like Chiarot with his recent sample size. It's not going to be a 1st and prospect but it's also not just going to be a 2nd and meh add either.

Reactions: pth2

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I think you are probably right that teams prefer to keep their 1st rounders but I also think you are wrong about Chiarot's ability to improve your chances to win a playoff round. Without Chiarot, I have my doubts the Habs would be able to beat the Pens, Leafs, Jets, and Knights. It was definitely not all Chiarot but he was not some depth guy that benefited. He was leaned on very heavy (23-25 min/game) and definitly made it difficult for the other teams best forwards.

He was leaned on so much partially because the lack of talent on the backend. Lack of better options.

He's a 2nd pairing defenseman when it comes down to it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He was leaned on so much partially because the lack of talent on the backend. Lack of better options.

Ability to be be a force in your own and to make things very difficult for the other teams forwards is a talent. Your underselling Chiarot's impact with that narrative because you probably value offensive D men where you don't think they need to be good at playing actual D. He's basically providing Mcdonagh and Muzzin value for the Habs. Both the eye test and stats/production support it (points, Corsi/D zone starts, Hits/60, blocks/60, etc). He was no doubt a big piece that helped the Habs win playoff rounds against the Pens, Leafs, Jets, Knights. Habs are not reaching on this one. We know what we are trading.

2nd pairing quality? I would agree with that. But that's not a negative in my books. A guy like this who is very physically strong, can skate very well, and has above average goal scoring for a D zone usage guy is not readily available. You can try to say someone who plays 15-20 min a game is a better option all you want.

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Ability to be be a force in your own and to make things very difficult for the other teams forwards is a talent. Your underselling Chiarot's impact with that narrative. He's basically providing Mcdonagh and Muzzin value for the Habs.

2nd pairing quality? I would agree with that. But that's not a negative in my books. A guy like this who is very physically strong, can skate very well, and has above average goal scoring for a D zone usage guy is not readily available. You can try to say someone who plays 15-20 min a game is a better option all you want.

Key word... for the Habs. He isn't as good as either of them in reality. and thus should not be valued the same.

• Haha
Reactions: cedouimet

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto

He's a 2nd pairing defenseman that can play on the 1st pair, that's exactly what he is and what he's worth. Imo that's a 1st round pick easily.

Almost no team ever has their #1 and #2 on the top pair, it's usually spread out...so seeing a guy like Chiarot playing 1st pairing minutes isn't really a knock, even if it's for a "lack of better options"

#1 - #3
#2 - #4
#5 - #6

#1 - #4
#2 - #3
#5 - #6

Imo Chiarot falls into the #3 range

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Key word... for the Habs. He isn't as good as either of them in reality. and thus should not be valued the same.

What's wrong with producing when your a Habs player? What makes this less impressive? Cause it's the Habs? Come on man, give me a break. Because he is a Habs player and has accomplished things with hard work, he can't be valued the same? Go somewhere else with your Habs hate narrative.

Open your eyes. It's likely not going to be a 1st and prospect yes but it will be a solid return and whoever gets him, will like what he provides. There is a reason why he is being talked about so much and it's not just Habs fans bring this up. GM are calling and the media is bring up good context into his game and usage. You can act like an expert devalue fan all day long if you wish. You're only making yourself look like a fool by using the "He's a Habs player" narrative so he will suck with another team. That's comical and your running out of excuses.

I remember a few years ago when someone came out with a "Petry is a top 20 defenseman" report and people laughed. This was before he started to put up better numbers more constantly and it's the same BS as today with Chiarot. Basically treading Petry like who he was with the Oilers and now basically treating Chiarot like he was with the Jets. Nonsense

Same BS as Patch's trade value. "Sucks in the playoffs". How well did that age eh?

pth2

Jan 7, 2018

The lack of better options was mostly a lack of a usable 3d pairing, the top 4 D brought the Habs to the finals, I think that deserves a little more respect. The fact he was #2 or #3 in terms of play for a Cup finalist isn't something GMs will ignore when trying to shore up their D.

I'd also add Chiarot was one of the only guys doing well under both coaches, which is also telling. Low-maintenance, high reliability, physical D with pretty good mobility tend to be of interest for a playoff run.

bretpatrick7

Apr 17, 2015
Can’t wait to see the Montreal meltdown after Chiarot gets a 2nd or 3rd as a return. Delusional to think Chiarot returns more than Manson
Couldn't wait to see HarrisonFord meltdown when Chiarot is finally traded to Florida for a 1st round pick in 2023 and a nice prospect and embarrasses himself on HF board on how little he knows about player values. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad