Chiarelli Should Be Forced To Choose Between POHO or GM If He Stays

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Heck even the minor moves look terrible considering how good players like Oesterle and Pitlick are looking with their new organizations. Even Matt Hendricks looks rejuvenated and is helping the Jets push for a playoff spot. The hockey gods are doing everything in their power to tell the Oilers to fire this baboon.

I know Jokinen didn't have a good start here (not the only one, though) and I understand something had to be done, but it doesn't look like changing him to Camalleri was a win either. 50-50 at its best, though I actually believe all in all Jokinen could've turned out to be a more useful player, but we can't know that for sure.

Anyway JJ seems to be doing fine now in Vancouver. 8 points in 11 games (+6) in a pretty limited role AFAIK. The Canucks fans seem pretty happy with him and his versatility.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
If Nicholson has the authority to veto trades don't we need a fire Nicholson thread?

It’s been mentioned more than once by several of the Fire Chia Faithful. Surprised a 400 Page thread isn’t going on it actually. Mind you the Fire TMac thread isn’t even at 100 pages so I guess there’s time.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
What's Nicholsons title anyways? I legitimately don't know. I actually think Chiarelli would be much better in a POHO role you describe, or as an assistant GM. Either fits his management strengths - organizational management, drafting, development - and gets him away from his weaknesses - trades and contract negotiations.

CEO and Vice Chair OEG. He is Chiarellis Direct Report.

I disagree trades are his weakness. He traded for a dozen players who were part of Boston’s cup winning team and run near the top of the league for 4 years and 7 playoffs.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014

I disagree trades are his weakness. He traded for a dozen players who were part of Boston’s cup winning team and run near the top of the league for 4 years and 7 playoffs.

He's good at small trades. Absolutely atrocious at big trades. Those trades he made were good support players, but not really the core of that Boston team.

And now he's got a reputation around the league for folding when pressured to make a trade and paying more. That's going to be hard to shake.

re: Nicholson, sounds like he's on the business side of things more than anything hockey related. I don't think it'd be a redundancy at all to split the POHO and GM duties at all - almost every other organization has it split that way.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

Not according to the Fire Chiarelli Faithful (FCF). Per the FCF, Chiarelli didn't build the Cup winner despite being in his fifth year as GM of the Bruins when they won the Cup. Of course that seems preposterous, but what can you do when trying to push a narrative in spite of ample facts.

Reactions: Night Witch

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
nah, either keep him or fire him.

But I understand why you'd suggest this, and it's actually smart to do so. Based on what Nicholson's said, it seems like Chiarelli's staying, so if you don't like Chia at all then you'd be right to suggest this.

My hope is that Nicholson's extra leash for Chia pays off, and that all this pressure on Chia results on him finally pulling off the move we need. If the move isn't made, he really should be fired before next season starts.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
My hope is that Nicholson's extra leash for Chia pays off, and that all this pressure on Chia results on him finally pulling off the move we need. If the move isn't made, he really should be fired before next season starts.

If he is GM of this team and making trades this off-season you can't really decide if those are moves the team needs until it is evident what the 2018-19 team become as a result of the 'move we need'.

Either he gets canned by the end of the month or he is GM to start the season.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton

You disagree that trades are his weakness? He traded Taylor Hall for Adam f***ing Larsson. Only 3 players in the top 10 in NHL scoring have been traded and he's the one that traded all of them. How the hell can you say that trading isn't his weakness?

Reactions: PGW and Aerrol

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
He's good at small trades. Absolutely atrocious at big trades. Those trades he made were good support players, but not really the core of that Boston team.

And now he's got a reputation around the league for folding when pressured to make a trade and paying more. That's going to be hard to shake.

re: Nicholson, sounds like he's on the business side of things more than anything hockey related. I don't think it'd be a redundancy at all to split the POHO and GM duties at all - almost every other organization has it split that way.

Check his trades. History of hockey trades by general manager Peter Chiarelli - NHL Trade Tracker

Go to Cap Friendly and check his signings as well. They were for support players all the way to first line players.

Nicholson oversees Chiarelli. No way around that.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
If he is GM of this team and making trades this off-season you can't really decide if those are moves the team needs until it is evident what the 2018-19 team become as a result of the 'move we need'.

Imo it is pretty obvious what the team's needs are. That is a big strength of our team imo. We have roles that are being filled well enough to be ignored, but then some roles that are being filled really, really poorly. This is like GMing on easy mode. I pity the teams that have done everything they can to be better, but just aren't winning, like Dallas or Florida. The league has proven over and over that you can't just fix those teams by piling more players onto it.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014

Yeah, we disagree completely on keeping Chiarelli but this is pretty obvious. It makes no sense to fire a GM after the off-season is over but before the season starts.

1. The damage is done/the plan is set, either way. Might as well see where it goes.
2. Most good GM candidates will already be set in roles with existing teams, so who would we be hiring to fill his spot?

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Read his entire trade history. Don’t judge on 1 trade.
There is 4 pages of it here: History of hockey trades by general manager Peter Chiarelli - NHL Trade Tracker
Two 2nd round picks for Brett Connolly, Tyler Seguin for what ended up being nothing, Blake Wheeler for Rich Peverley, Vladimir Sobotka for nothing, Kris Versteeg for Brandon Bochenski. He's f***ing awful at trading and if that short list wasn't enough go look at the trades he's made as our GM. You're delusional if you think he's anything other than the worst GM in the league at trading.

Reactions: Aerrol

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Check his trades. History of hockey trades by general manager Peter Chiarelli - NHL Trade Tracker

Go to Cap Friendly and check his signings as well. They were for support players all the way to first line players.

Nicholson oversees Chiarelli. No way around that.

I just went through it - who were the major pick-ups he traded for in that list? I don't see much to contradict my point that he's good at making small trades, bad at big ones. The best I can see are Boychuk and Horton, who are I suppose 'medium trades', not small trades. But even those aren't clear steals or anything. Astute pick-ups for the team, sure.

Nicholson oversees Chiarelli, sure. From what seems to be a very high level. He doesn't involve himself in operations in any sense. If we split POHO and GM, the POHO would be managing a lot more of the day-to-day ops of the team, while the GM would be handling direct management of the team (as general manager implies).

I'm sure there's variance per team, but what I'm getting at would be something like:
POHO: Development and support staff (everything from skills trainers to psychologists to nutritionists), rink operations, payroll for scouting staff
GM: Trades, bringing players up and down between levels, identifying team needs, identifying coach etc

I don't agree with Soundwave at all that GMing is easy - there's plenty of work to be shared here.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Two 2nd round picks for Brett Connolly, Tyler Seguin for what ended up being nothing, Blake Wheeler for Rich Peverley, Vladimir Sobotka for nothing, Kris Versteeg for Brandon Bochenski. He's ****ing awful at trading and if that short list wasn't enough go look at the trades he's made as our GM. You're delusional if you think he's anything other than the worst GM in the league at trading.
Funny you only mention his bad trades

what about the Horton trade? the Seidenberg trade? the Boychuk trade? Chris Kelly was a good trade

he's made mistakes, but made very good ones too...like any GM

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
We can say whatever we want about Tambellini and Mactavish but they understood that the long term goal was building thru the draft, especially our high 1sts. Chiarelli came here when we had a boatload of assets and spent them like a drunken sailor at a whorehouse after being at sea for a year.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014

what about the Horton trade? the Seidenberg trade? the Boychuk trade? Chris Kelly was a good trade

To just repeat my point - good at small deals, bad at big ones. And his track record seems to be getting a lot worse over time, not better.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
To just repeat my point - good at small deals, bad at big ones. And his track record seems to be getting a lot worse over time, not better.
heh, for all the flack Chia gets for trading Seguin, Wheeler and Hall...they have a combined 7 playoff wins between the 3 since being traded by Chiarelli

all by Seguin in one season with the Stars

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton

Horton was injured half the time in Boston and topped out at 53 points in a season. He traded Wideman (back when he was actually good), a 1st, and a 3rd for him. Good trade but nothing amazing. The Seidenberg trade was pretty good but that draft pick ended up being Petrovic, who's a great dman as well. The Boychuk trade was good and probably his best. Chris Kelly is a 4th liner, acquiring a player like him for a 2nd round pick isn't something that's difficult to do.

Just go ask Bruins fans what they think of Chia and his trades. The guy is a laughing stock and I bet other GM's can't wait to get a call from ol Pete so they can fleece him for another elite forward.

Reactions: Aerrol

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
To be fair to Chiarelli, sounds like both Pitlick and Oesterle wanted opportunity elsewhere and walking from Hendricks was definitely the right call last summer.

But yea that just adds to the pile of things to backfire on us.
To be fair...nothings fair with Chiarelli. The Oilers have been taken to the cleaners so bad that's it's Unfair!

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
I'd be fine if Chia retained the POHO role, and hired a GM like Fenton. For as bad of a job that Chia has done as GM, I believe he can bring value in the right role.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Horton was injured half the time in Boston and topped out at 53 points in a season. He traded Wideman (back when he was actually good), a 1st, and a 3rd for him. Good trade but nothing amazing. The Seidenberg trade was pretty good but that draft pick ended up being Petrovic, who's a great dman as well. The Boychuk trade was good and probably his best. Chris Kelly is a 4th liner, acquiring a player like him for a 2nd round pick isn't something that's difficult to do.
except they were all very good NHLers and were instrumental in getting the Bruins to 2 Cup Finals and a Presidents trophy
he traded "maybe" assets (and from a position of strength) to address weaknesses and depth

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
heh, for all the flack Chia gets for trading Seguin, Wheeler and Hall...they have a combined 7 playoff wins between the 3 since being traded by Chiarelli

all by Seguin in one season with the Stars
You just dont get it do ya. We will see how many wins they each up together this season. Wheeler and Hall that is. They finally get an opportunity in the dance. Guess what Chiarelli is the direct cause of the Oilers with Connor McDavid missing the playoffs by close to 20 points!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $20.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00